• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Summer is definitely coming back too. Whether the casting calls they are spreading was a negotiating tactic to spook Hunter or whether they will go ahead and recast remains to be seen.
Not looking forward to the inevitable scenes where Summer attacks Sally for giving her a job she kept and enjoyed - Sally is in a better spot now than she was when she was dragged by that stupid rivalry - but hey.

• Members

I feel like Summer vs Sally is trying to be the new Phyllis vs Diane. I said trying, lol.

I'm underwhelmed by Hunter, even though I know she has played the character a long time. Hence a recast, but Y&R often aims to recast dull for dull, except for happy accidents like Mishael Morgan or character actor parts.

• Members

Never quite saw the star quality in Hunter that the Y&R folks seem to see in her.
She is fine; just not seeing a powerhouse that would justify waiting around for her.
And I am all for them developping rivalries for the future but as we discussed at length at the time, the problem with Sally vs Summer is that they started by telling us they were rivals who disliked each other and THEN they started writing reasons for that. 
Slowly show instead of tell is an art that soaps have lost a lot of skills and patience for.

Otoh, even if I am annoyed already by a certain someone's histrionics, Phyllis vs Diane, even force-fed a bit too on the nose for me, I can get behind. The history is there

In my quest to see old clips the past few days, I rewatched an early scene between Phyllis and AD's Diane (which is interesting as it wasn't setting up anything other than a mutual dislike then and yet paid off later) and, man could MS be good back then. And then you slowly see the Diane story unfold over the 2000s and by the time of the 2010 visit clips she is all over the top and cringey and yelly.

• Members

Hunter sounds very Valley -- Nothing wrong with that (cuz I love Katherine Kelly Lang and she is from there, too), but her gummy vocal inflection from that corner of California stands out amongst much of the cast. It also stands out because I don't think HK invests much in the character of Summer. She just shows up and recites her script. No need to modify her voice somewhat, or to add to the character on the page. It's just a clock-in, clock-out. This is not the case, I believe, with her closest co-star MM, or Courtney Hope, or a host of other actors on Y&R who have fleshed out their characters and invest in them.

Speaking of Valley and vocal inflections -- Stafford. When the spoiler said something about Phyllis decides to go to California to see what's up with Jack, all I could hear in my head was MS's voice droning "I'm cummin to CaLiFoRnIA, Jeck!" That's how bad it's gotten with her.

• Members

i feel like MM playing dual roles would actually be amazing, too. And it would be an awesome shock that would be easy to keep secret (like when Lily died on ATWT), and it's been ages since we had twins on a soap. If Y&R really wants to "shake things up" that would be one of the best ways, imo. Because the Hilary/Lily rivalry was one of the best Y&R has had in recent years. 

Edited by dio

• Members

I think we all understand that she does - and it is fine. She has played the role for most of it after all; it is fair that she does

It is just that I am saying that I don't see *it* and I don't think they should be bending over backward to make it work financially when they are already cutting $$$ everywhere. A less expansive recast may turn out to make the role much more interesting

• Members

The King sisters (Hunter and her sister Joey) have been up and coming in Hollywood for a few minutes now. I think Hunter is talented and I see why she's gone far on the show, besides what allegedly went down with Michael Muhney. I also think she was overexposed and overused beyond her natural ability, but those two sisters are doing well and the show needs to not hold the position for her because she's not coming back. 

(That being said, I also never really felt Summer was the only answer to a starring female role in any and all twentysomething storylines, especially with Mariah around, so...)