Bold and Beautiful August 2021 Discussion

• Members

See I personally loved the delay in revealing Sheila as the mother because I was enjoying their disgusted faces while Sheila had Finn on her arm with that devilish smile. 

I do agree with you about Mary though. I want this return to be long term for Sheila which I think could help the show. Ideally I’d write out Wyatt, Flo, Liam and Hope and use that space for Mary, Little Deacon, Rick and Maya. 

Also, did we ever see Diana as more than a baby? Could Finn possibly be Diana with a retcon on the baby daddy? Just to tie it up in a nice bow and leave Sheila with just the two kids. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Three episodes in and this storyline is already starting to disintegrate because of the writing.

The wedding party just sort of coming to an awkward halt (and Thomas telling Steffy she was ”literally glowing”) while everyone waited for Finn to return, and Paris and Zende disappearing for no reason (other than possibly a plot device to make sure Paris and Sheila haven’t met, in case Sheila decides to drop by the cliff house when Steffy and Finn aren’t at home).

Ridge acting distracted and confused, BEFORE Sheila even walked into the room. And Brooke for some reason having to hold his champagne glass (instead of just putting it on the table which was right there), just so she could drop it dramatically a minute later.

Sheila telling Finn that she would not have been a good influence on him, and that she wouldn’t have been able to give him a happy life, but also saying she regrets giving him up and that giving him up was the biggest mistake of her life. Which is it? It can't be both.

Finn wanting to introduce his bio mother to his in-laws without even having asked her name first.

The bizarre conversation with Katie and Donna reminiscing about a character none of them ever knew, including flashbacks of things they couldn't possibly remember or even know about (like Lance and the bees). And multiple Sheila pictures showing up where there really shouldn't be any (in Pam's closet? Really?). Donna declaring she never wants to see Sheila again - have they even met?

Sheila agreeing to go say hi to the Forresters, knowing she'd cause a scene and they'd throw her out. Sheila is not that stupid, or that obvious. She would establish contact secretly with him first, making sure to tie Finn more securely to her emotionally before essentially forcing him to choose between his wife and his bio mom. And she'd make sure she told Finn her side of the story before the Forresters got a chance to tell theirs.

Finn taking a full episode to blurt out that Sheila is his mother, and not taking in the horrified reactions of every other person in the room. And everyone in the room interrupting Finn over and over questioning what Sheila was doing there when it was obvious that Finn was about to explain just that, if they had given him half a chance.

It just seems the writers are going for maximum shock value, whether or not it makes sense. Even when the story would have been better (and more in character for Sheila) if they had built it more slowly. Amazingly, the pacing of the storyline as a whole feels rushed, and yet each individual scene has very little momentum.

• Members

Tanner Novlan and Kimberlin Brown actually do favor each other a bit.

I liked Ridge questioning Finn and his parents if they’d plotted all of this all along with Sheila. I thought that was a nice touch, and I liked TN’s incensed reaction.

• Members

So apparently Steffy never told Finn until today that her mother was premused dead for years during her childhood lol. And when he was all shocked about Sheila's crimes, I wonder if he is aware that Steffy has killed a couple of her cousins, or tried...

I love that Sheila's back but the story is very forced. Feels like it was built around JMW as the star of the show. It's not organic. I wish they would have had Thomas become involved with one of Sheila's existing daughters. Even Daisy, who did not work on Y&R, could have been recast for B&B. The idea of Thomas involved with a chick who is even crazier than he is, and then having him go against Sheila, would be far more interesting than involving her with bland Steffy and Finn. 

• Members

I am not a fan of Steffy's even though I recognize JMW's talent but I have to say I actually don't mind the idea of the storyline. Whether Steffy is the female center of the new generation has been, whether we like it or not, settled a long ago - if only because to her immense credit JMW has stayed on the show and built that longevity. It is of course a bit forced to have Steffy be the one to read her Emmy reel... I mean riot act to Sheila of all people considering how many other characters have more direct grievances, but I would have accepted it.
If, as I said before, the Finns-mother storyline seeds had been plenty early enough that it was a really shocker of a twist instead of a feeling of a last-minute idea to bring Sheila back. Even a random shot of someone lurking outside of Finn's window six months ago and a brief conversation with Finn's parents looking guilty while he was wondering if he was the father of Steffy's baby would have sufficed for this sudden twist to be more acceptable to me.
Instead, it feels engineered, forced as you said, to give the show a cool moment - which admittedly this was - but it misses on a lot of the potential emotional ramifications.

I'd add too that the timing would have been more fun if this had happened before the Eric/Quinn renewels and Sheila had been the one to unveil the Carter affair for instance. Considering Q/S past interactions, this would have used Sheila in a naughty way without pigeonholing her back into evil right off the bat.

Oh don't get me wrong. Their first crack at it was a mess writing-wise but the idea still holds and the character has enough interesting connections to have potential.
She was also interesting because like Thomas, it was never clear whether she was bad or good or bad at being good or trying to be good but being bad or... You get my drift. I like those kinds of characters that are all shades of grey for understandable reasons. 
And being raised by Sheila really feels like it would mess you up in some ways. That will never be a plot point with Finn.
And finally, and that's a minor gratuitous thing, but it might warrant a Barbara Crampton cameo and I'd enjoy that.

• Members

One of the strangest things in this scene is that during all the times during Wednesday's show that Sheila calls herself Finn's mother, or Steffy's mother-in-law, nobody corrects her and speaks up in defense of Li. Not even Li herself.

Sheila has given up her parental rights. Li is Finn's mother now. And as much as Finn wants to know his biological mother, that is between him and her. It doesn't make Sheila and the Forresters inlaws.

• Members

The living situation makes no sense. Paris has a good job and could find an apartment. Speaking of which why the hell was newly married Steffy at work while Paris and her boobs were at the beach with Finn? I can already see Finn confiding in her that he wants to get to know his new mommy but Steffy has forbidden it.