Bold and Beautiful August 2021 Discussion

• Members

What frustrates me with Sheila in her 2000-2021 iterations is that I have no idea what she is about.
During her first run on Y&R and then on B&B her motives and thoroughline were clear at all time. We knew what she wanted/was seeking and everything "evil" flowed from that.
Since then it is always extremely unclear what she wants. They are relying on a vague sense of menace without giving us any character beat and I find that a bit tedious

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

THIS

Though I can buy her fixation this go-around because she's long been obsessed with "The Forresters" lol. Hayes is her "in". 

And I bought her 2005/2006 return to Y&R as it was Scotty focused but of course it really went nowhere and was a waste.

• Members

It is indeed clever that Hayes is her in. But my issue is: and then... what?

You know what I mean? They are not telling us what her endgame is - even just in her head.
Is she trying to get revenge on them? Or is she still trying to be "accepted" as part of them?
It looks like she is making it up as she goes along which goes against her earlier iterations where she had a goal and every scheme was intended to build up to that goal OR hide a previous scheme to protect the ultimate goal.

Because I try to give the benefit of the doubt to every story while it is starting, I am not going to assume it is not going to become clearer later - maybe it will! - but based on her previous returns and the way she is written so far, I am not optimistic.

• Members

I know I’d probably enjoy Kimberlin Brown more if I didn’t know her politics. She’s a full-blown Trumper and I just can’t stand anyone who is. 

I probably give Liam more of a break than he deserves because I like Scott Clifton as a person and for his politics.

• Members

I think the problem is they are not giving her her own POV in the storytelling.

The 90s music cues are nice but they are overdoing it. We get the "menacing" soundtrack virtually every scene she is in (even when she is not actually doing anything menacing) and it kind of "objectifies" her.

Like she is an outside threat, rather than her own person with her own motivations. That was always her strength when she was written well - she was crazy and dangerous but you could understand her motivations and sympathize to some extent. That is, Sheila's own sense of reality was warped but so consistent that her actions made sense in that context.

Now, it's basically just like they bring her out to say "BOO!".

• Members

I can't explain JMW and JG. JG has done pro-mask posts, so she isn't a total loon. 

There is a whole other side to the anti-vaxx movement who are left wing, organic/clean/non-toxic people who would never vote Republican in their lives. But they view the vaccines as 'big pharma' and have their fantasies attached to that angle. 

Bill and Lee Bell were Reagan Republicans. Lots of very decent people were. A quick review of US political donations databases confirm Bradley & Colleen Bell and Bill Jr. & Maria Bell have all donated to strictly Democratic Party candidates for years (no donations for Lauralee or her husband). 

loved that backhand slap. 

• Members

Some people are "Let's all get along" type of people who want to be friendly with everybody and supportive of their colleagues. I personally think never taking a stand on anything is enabling bad people but I suspect that's what JG might be. She worked with IR, likes him, saw him being attacked by fans and wants to be supportive by liking his "I have a right to believe what I believe" post.
I think letting people like that get away with their selfishness in the name of getting along with everybody is cowardly but it doesn't have to come from a bad place. JG gives me that vibe of being very friendly with everybody but not necessarily overthinking things she should.

I don't know JMW's real personality much but I can see her being a bit in her privilege as a wealthy gorgeous white woman. Follow the dots from that starting point. I'll leave it at that since I have no facts to offer but while I am disappointed, I would not be entirely surprised.

• Members

I don't have words to adequately describe this moment of unintentional genius. 

It must be the second funniest "dramatic" clip in the history of B&B (the funniest being the fight sequence that ended with Ridge falling into the furnace in 2003).

• Members

There are tons of quietly right-wing/evangelical types in daytime onscreen, at least. Most of them have always had the good sense to keep it out of the work and out of the stories, which is how I've tolerated it.

• Members

Thank you for clarifying. I knew that Bradley and Colleen Bell had donated to Democratic causes but was unaware that Bill Bell Jr and MAB were also big donors.

My dad and his family in Michigan were Midwestern, not-particularly-religious Reagan Republicans. I can very much imagine WJB and LPB's mindset back in the day (70s, 80s) -- sometimes you could glean it in the writing for families like the Brooks, Abbotts and Forresters! But this was way before the Reps morphed into a sycophantic adulation machine of religiosity for the Tr*mps. A lot of the Reagan Republican establishment is either long gone from this world or purged from more radical state RP organizations. Or they are Mormons, many of whom used to work in the State dept and have quietly returned west.

Edited by Cat