Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I hope they don't make Sally Phyllis' daughter. That would too GH. They should be able to write conflict without doing that.

I'm still not getting what was so awful that Sally did. I'm not a fan of hers (I was probably the only person who was happy she was off B&B). She got Summer a really great job offer? That Summer easily could have turned down? And also if Sally had the connections to do that, and has been hoping for a new start, why didn't she just take that job herself? There's nothing keeping her in GC. The whole story is a flop as usual.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A few positives from today:

• I enjoyed Jack and Phyllis today.  Instant Chemistry again
  • I enjoyed Adam calling out Phyllis saying Sally is just like her
  • I am glad we are saying new people on the screen besides Kyle and Summer.
    • Love seeing more of Chloe- but need more Kevin
  • I enjoyed Chloe and Sally.  Throw in Adam, and you got a lot of drama and potential. 

• Members

Morina is an absolute failure as EP. Having directed and produced the show for all these years one might surmise he should have some handle on things; instead he gets by with the bare minimum, some days not even that. Typical. I wonder if Noel Maxam would be more suitable as EP. 

Griffith & Beall are a disaster. Getting rid of both would be a plus. No I don’t want Beall going back to script writing either, they were basically scripts written for teen sitcom IMO. As for Dansby she’s been always been a mixed bag even back at ATWT. Y&R also added Susan Banks a few months back too and there has been zilch.

At this point it’s hard to imagine who could in Y&R’s writer chair. Maybe a trio of Boyd, Esser, and Slater could be fair but I can’t imagine any of them want the job.

I can’t imagine what someone like  Carlivanti would write for Y&R; we’d probably get stories like “Revenge of the Doppelgängers”, Sheila coming to GC wearing a Chloe mask, Rick Daros resurfacing to kidnap Nikki, bring back one of the Brooks sisters to be killed off etc. 

• Members

A small thing I did enjoy. I really really used to like the chemistry between Muhney's Adam and Phyllis. Not a romantic chemistry but the way they were playing off each other as "I know what you are and I have your number" was very interesting. They haven't used that thread too much since so I enjoyed seeing traces of that in today's scenes.

Count me as a no on the Sally daughter thing. Soaps can write interesting layered relationships between women without making them insta-relatives. Enough of that trope; I still have PTSD for when they thought making Kay and Jill mother/daughter somehow made their relationship more rather than less interesting.

I don't mind Phyllis being completely over-the-top obsessed over another woman for basically nothing - after all there is quite the history of being a her not-always rational dog-with-a-bone over all kinds of women on the show from Christine to Diane to Sharon.
What really bugs me is how few people are reacting to her nonsense with WTF Chill! and are instead going along with it. The entire charm of Jack/Phyllis was that he used to be amused but not impressed with her antics and Nick used to not see much of that side of her. In both cases the current madness should freak them out.
Even Danny could see how irrational and obsessive Phyllis was being and if you are writing your male characters as less savvy than freakin' Danny, you have a problem.

• Members

I think Mishael would have chemistry with a radish, but I don’t buy Phyllis and Amanda as friends. It feels like a way of leveraging the popularity of Hilary and Phyllis’s old friendship (in the same way that GH is throwing RH’s Austin in scenes with Ava) as well as giving MS an opportunity to show a more sympathetic side. Hilary and Phyllis bonded as outsiders. And GT and MiMo had more of an easy rapport.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I don't know. I don't necessarily think Mal Young was a big spender; I think he tightened things up. We got new sets under his regime for the first time in what felt like a long time and, others got updated, as well. I definitely think CBS/Sony have tightened the purse strings under Morina and Griffith's regime, and it shows. I think the bigger spender was Jill Farren Phelps; she changed multiple sets and had multiple disasters under her regime.

• Members

I know we usually don't put death notices in this section, but this does explain why we haven't seen Jill during Mariah's pregnancy, except for maybe one facetime/zoom call.

------

Text of Jess Walton's instagram post:
jesswaltonyr Verified
Three months ago, my sweet husband of 40 years, John, was diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. Since that time, with weekly visits from hospice, my daughter Allison, her new husband Wade, our son Cole and I have been caring for John at home. This has been far and away the most painful period of my life, and our children’s. At the same time it has been richly rewarding. Because John James has spent his entire life helping others, And most especially taking care of us, his family. For us to be able to devote ourselves to him in his home with all that entails, and give him love and care and comfort from the people he loves the most, was our honor.In the end, his greatest gift to us and all grievers, is the @griefrecoverymethod, the company he founded. That gift will guide all of us through the daily heartbreak of living without him.

-----------

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSevQuHLchU/

(Message from Jess Walton's son - at instagram account of
"grief recovery method" - something started by Jess' husband, to help people through the grieving process. This provides context to Jess' instagram post)

It’s with a heavy heart that I must tell you that my dad, John W James, Founder of The Grief Recovery Method, died early Tuesday morning in the comfort of his home. My mom Jess, sister Allison, and I were with him. He was at peace after being diagnosed with cancer just three months ago.

Grief is conflicting. On one hand I am glad he is no longer in pain. On the other hand I miss him terribly and can’t imagine life without him. He helped shape me into the man I am today and I want to pass that along to my children.

Your outpouring of love and support these past months has been incredible. Hearing your stories of how The Grief Recovery Method has changed your lives has meant so much to John and to us. Thank you for letting his legacy live on through you. 

-----------

• Members

Thank you for mentioning that Tricia Cast had gone through this, too - I didn't know. I looked it up and Tricia Cast's husband died in 2019 of colon cancer that had metastasized to the liver.  That's intense for me - someone very close to me died that exact way.

As Jess said, her husband had founded a grief support network, so I'm hopeful they will all enfold Jess and her family in their (virtual) arms.

I am glad Jess will have the support of her family, the grief group, and as just posted, Tricia would be there for her too.

My heart still hurts for Jess.  

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by janea4old