Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

"Fans" complain the moment things don't go the way they want them to. People called for Anthony Morina and Josh Griffith, and while I hate it, I love it at the same time, because this what those "fans" asked for.

For me, it comes down to the fact that The Young and the Restless is no longer "not to miss." It's missable. I don't miss it. That's what Morina and Griffith have done since day one of their takeover.

Steve Kent has got to go. He's the major problem. At least when Angelica McDaniel was head of CBS Daytime, I feel like she bridged some kind of gap. Now? There is no bridge.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Which is totally true. For me, at least, those earlier eras were beyond missable. I actively avoided them at points because if I tuned in, I might vomit lol.

To say something nice: I like Stafford and Courtney Hope together (today they felt evenly matched and played well off of each other). I just wish their characters’ feud was grounded in something more real.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Yes. I agree with this. There are kernels of stuff here and there that tells me the fundamentals are still there which makes the dreg we are watching even more frustrating.

I mean I am not going to say I am fully sure which era I "prefer" since I detest both. 
Ironically this might turn out to be the very phenomenon we were talking about whereby the reason I am placing the current show below is because I am mad it is what is currently on my screen but in a few years with the benefit of hindsight I will see more benignly because it is entirely true they are doing very little that is damaging long-term creatively, contra the 2006 era.
But, man, getting us to a point where we just don't care anymore might be an even worse fate for the show long-term even if it later becomes better.

I have moments where I miss the rage I felt at how horrible some of the character developments of the 2005-2015 show were. If they had Sharon marry Victor now, I am not sure how much I'd care anymore. And THAT is sad.