Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks for the info about the wedding. I wasn't watching the show then. I only began watching again because my mother happened to start watching it once again. She has since stopped but I do like a few characters so.....

Vaccines aren’t mandated for actors in the U.S. In Canada, we'll be mandating vaccine passports for international travel. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal have many productions, particularly Toronto and Vancouver (Hollywood North) being top 5 worldwide. It'll be interesting to see how money will affect the willingness of some to be vaccinated if they won't be permitted inside a country if they're aren't full vaccinated. It's sink or swim and US dollars stretch more in Canada with the financial incentives.

I understand lack of intimate scenes but I’m wondering what their protocols are. There have been other productions that haven’t had any Covid-19 transmissions, before and after the various vaccines started being distributed. Some of them reduced intimate scenes but didn’t eliminate them. Roswell New Mexico for example. I believe they shot their entire third season with no outbreaks whatsoever.

A soap is different for obvious reasons. But I also believe given the nature of the genre, vaccines should be mandatory. The very reason the Delta variant is running rampant is because of the refusal by so many people to get vaccinated in addition to other measures.

Ingo is an ignoramus and him boasting about his lifeguarding and hypothetically saving a drowning dissenter of his was truly in poor taste. Staff in hospitals have to deal with violent patients who attack and spit on them and berate them. And staff do their jobs masked (those N95 masks are much more restrictive than the masks most people wear), gloved and gowned and for long shifts. They are expected to do this given the milieu they work in. Meanwhile, arrogant people such as himself decry mandates and reasonable precautions that would reduce hospitalizations, deaths and long term complications of Covid-19. What a swell guy!

Well, the good thing about Mariah's captivity is that it's over. It was underwhelming. Camryn made the best of it and did some of the other actors but it was really meh.

Why did Stitch do it? Because he was out of sorts, lonely.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess.

So Chance will be forever mentioned but never seen, is that right? They're really limiting Abby's storyline potential because of it. All the voicemails, it's really redundant. Why not recast? Or give her a divorce. 

The only good thing is that I've barely seen Chelsea. I probably won't be watch much after she returns to Genoa City, whenever that is. Probably a good time to quit the show. How much can you fast forward before you quit?

When did Nikki become COO? When I heard that said awhile back I couldn't stop laughing, how did this come about?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

August 20, 2020.  CEO Victoria was in command and had just reorganized Newman Enterprises and sold off some divisions. Victoria appointed Nikki as COO   Victoria said she wanted a woman who knew business, and who already knew the NE business, and thus felt that Nikki was the right choice.  Nikki had already been head of N.E.'s real estate division. 

(Not saying I agree or disagree. Just giving Victoria's reasoning).

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Nikki has been an "executive" the way Jill was an executive when she first got divorced, except Jill actually learned the business and had a knack for it. We actually saw Jill in her office brainstorming. We've never really seen Nikki do anything that indicates she has the experience to do anything other than sit in an office whild holding a title.

• Members

Jill had been working at Jabot before marrying John, so even though she didn't work during her first marriage as an Abbott, it seemed reasonable that she could step into that business and grow from there.

Nikki however had a resume that consisted of stripping and never showed interest in working. Even though, it is possible she could show a later in life interest in business it was never explored in any depth.

• Members

The last time I watched Y&R, she was only ever at Newman Enterprises visiting Victor and/or her kids. It's always odd coming back to a soap after a long hiatus. You never know who'll be a surgeon, all grown-up or who's an executive. 

Thanks for the info. I've always liked Jill or rather I've liked watching her. I was disappointed to hear Jess had left but from what I understand, she tended to her ill husband who has now passed. I'd love to see Jill again. She wasn't a pushover. I'd rather watch her than most of the youngins.

• Members

Noticed last week that Crimson Lights actually had a customer!! An older man who sat in a booth staring at his phone and then wandered to the jukebox and stared at that.

Anyway, why suddenly one extra as a customer after months of emptiness?? That makes no sense -so in keeping with a lot of the show these days..

• Members

They made the decision to go with these public meeting places for characters to conduct business and cross paths constantly-Crimson Lights, Society, Green Poopit and Chancellor Park and then have them empty.

A lot of the (endless) discussions of missing Mariah could have taken place at Sharon's cottage but instead they were all standing around empty Crimson Lights.

Mariah got a room to be held hostage, but a similar sized set can't be utilized as an office.

Ashland got a NY home for a few eps but other characters seem to live and work only in a restaurant.

So frustrating.

• Members

Seeing Hurricane Ida hit New Orleans, and seeing Christian Leblanc Post about it on IG (he lives there now most of the time, it looks like), I wondered if any of you missed seeing Michael Baldwin on screen more often. Now, I HATED the Fisher Infestation (Kevin, Gloria, plus I include Chloe who I have never been able to stomach). But excluding them, I'm kind of missing Michael and Lauren as regulars on the show. I think it says something about the lack of compelling stories on y&r that I am jonesing for this throwback!

• Members

There was talk (on the YR classics thread I think) of how much we complain about one era until it looks much better in hindsight considering the downward trajectory of the show and while I too resented the Fisher invasion, I would take those days ANY DAY over what we have now.
Those characters had life and definition and most of them were good actors (JC can be up and down but she sold some stuff). And things were *happening* and made sense most of the time and involved many characters.
I wouldn't defend it as a good era but, man, compared to today's appalling state of affairs...

• Members

That’s a hard one for me. Do I prefer a lazy, phoned-in era like JG’s current tenure or an actively repulsive one that desecrated the foundations of the show (IMO, like most of the previous regimes since the early to mid-2000s, especially LML’s, MAB’s, and Pratt’s)? Even if those eras had good performances from time to time and a few well-executed moments? Hard call.

To me, both creative perspectives have the same roots, which is why Steve Kent and his ilk need to get the steppin.’

Edited by Faulkner