Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Such sad news re Jess.

Y&R is obviously under severe budget restrictions. I think a lot of it is due to COVID and the costs of establishing the protocols - deep cleaning of sets, daily procedures etc.

However, there has probably been a another budget cut due to lower ratings/less advertising revenue.

That being said,I think there could be more strategy in how that translates onto what is ends up onscreen.

It's been discussed before, but the depiction of mega wealth that can not be represented. There should have been a shift in writing to scale back on those sort of stories and characters. Or at the very least less explicit on air references.

Having characters constantly meet up at CL/Society (sometimes more than once on the same day) for business meetings, dinners and these places be empty. 

There was a scene a week or so ago when Lauren met Sally to talk business at Crimson Lights.Not only was it stupid that the meeting took place there but the camera showed the place as empty. At the very least some tighter shots.

Yet a few weeks earlier Angelina was on the phone and a small office set was depicted.It was only a wall and obviously tiny but couldn't something similar be set up for a two person scene for Lauren/Sally?

What I'm saying is that a bit of creativity - a generic office set that could be redressed? could go a long way in improving the look of the show.

• Members

Yes! That's what I have said! I realize I am not intimately familiar with the mechanics of sets but why couldn't they have an empty room kind of set where switching around the furniture and the stuff on the wall can make it look like different offices for different purposes.
I mean, we'd clock it's the same room but if it is neutral enough it at least would make more sense than this hotel nonsense.

• Members

Have a set with neutral colored walls - a door on each side. If it used as say Lauren's office a bookcase is placed in front one of the doors and the other used as the entrance. Decorate accordingly...

Then when it becomes say Nate's hospital office, a new bookcase/display cabinet covers the door used as the entrance to Lauren's office, exposing the opposite door as a different  entrance. New furniture and placement, paintings/decor and voila - a separate set!

Is this not possible?

• Members

Day after day of Phyllis running around like a chicken with its head cut off whining about what 'Terra' did to her 'dodder' is starting to wear thin. Especially when everyone else is listening to her ravings.

The Mariah disappearance story is playing out so weird. Is it going to take a severed ear sent through the mail for folks to start worrying?

There really needs to be an advisory warning when a Billy/Lily lovin' episode is to be screened. His scrawny bod on display while they praise each other...

The sexism in the writing also annoys. Lily was all like  - have you been watching action movies with the sound up full blast? No replies Billy-romcoms so I can set the scene for some pointers on seduction.

• Members

And every time I'm like Phyllis, your daughter is living her best life in Milan with the love of her life. She isn't doing time behind bars at Sing, Sing for being framed for Ashland's murder by Tara. (Thought that would be a better story.)

It seems as if Josh and Co. is throwing what they can at this Mariah kidnapping story. A lot of people think it's Stitch, but I'm hearing rumors that it might be someone else behind this. And I hope they're exactly just that, a rumor.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

If it is that person, the logic makes absolutely no sense. Ugh. Everything, from stories to production design, on this show is dumb, wasted potential, uninspired, cheap, or boring. The sets are cheap and overcrowded. Performances are forced and devoid of emotion. Characters are unlikable. 

I find myself longing for the MAB days (half the show, except for the end of her run in 2012, was worth watching) or Passanante/Altman’s run that was cut too short when they hit their stride in late 2014. I’d also take boring Sally Sussman over boring Josh Griffith. Each of those regimes had “moments” that I still go back and watch. While I’m on it, the less said about Pratt, the better. Ugh.

• Members

I have to agree with you! Those other regimes had their issues but their was always something worth tuning in for. Somebody to root for, etc.

You may not have liked the A story but the B story was good, the material may have been blah but the performances elevated it, or a bad story at least had a great payout. 

Even Pratt *shutters* had moments of greatness. This is the worst shape the shows ever been in. It's maddening that the suits don't seem at all interested in course correcting. Especially when other regimes got cut for far less. 

• Members

Under MAB, I loved Kay’s fake/Marge’s funeral, Sabrina’s end, everything Sharon/Nick/Phyllis, Nina being involved in everything and Ronan, and her characterization of Billy. There was a sense of camp that Bill Bell had too. A lot of it was BAD, but much was enjoyable.

With Passanante/Altman, there were the returns of Phyllis and Adam. Also lots of good day-to-day characterization and dialogue.

Sally restored the core of the show and gave us Ashley back, uncartooned the Newmans, and attempted a new generation (should have picked different characters to age, but whatever).