Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

When Chance and Abby got married, Kevin and Chloe (with Esther) moved out of the Chancellor mansion. The three of them (Kevin/Chloe/Esther) plus the children have been living together in their own house or apartment ever since. I remember the scenes of them moving out.

Kevin and Chloe went back to the mansion for one final check to see if they had missed anything, and that's when they found something that Gloria had left behind when she had previously visited them at the C-mansion. Gloria had hidden a device which contained blackmail material about the Hollywood firm she'd been working at. I think there was info about the Newmans on it? I think Phyllis tried to get Kevin to tell her the secrets on it. I don't remember where that storyline went, and it doesn't matter for this topic of where Kevin and Chloe currently live.  My point was that finding that device was Kevin&Chloe's final scene at the C-mansion.

I don't think Y&R has ever shown the current residence of Kevin/Chloe/Esther/children? Or have they?

I remember the show made this big deal about them moving out of the C-mansion so that Chance and Abby could kind of be the king and queen of their new family/dynasty/whatever, as they were planning to have children.  And then Danny Boaz got himself fired.

In my opinion, the mansion just doesn't feel right without Esther living there.

And, in my opinion, Jill should be there, too.  But I understand that Jess Walton wants to be home in Oregon -- she posted on her instagram that her husband's cancer returned and the outlook is not good.

Mariah and Nina living at the mansion now .... to assist Abby in her awaiting the baby ... are to further that Y&R goal of the new Abby/Chance dynasty.

All of this is so *very* annoying to me.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Having just checked out the 8/10 episode, I have to disagree with that. I felt like the episode only came alive once Chloe and Kevin showed up. Maybe they were just glad to be working again, but EH and KR played their scenes with a lot more energy than the rest of the cast, most of whom just seemed bored. But once I got past all the interminable conversations about Phyllis being upset Summer was staying in Italy, it wasn't such a bad episode. 

• Members

I always think people are being short-sighted when they dismiss long-time characters as not needed because they haven't had story in a long time.

True, Kevin and Chloe have not had stories in forever - and Kevin in particular, despite GR being so good, has been written horrible most of his time on the show.
But they are longtime characters with lots of ties to other characters and history and played by good actors. Why would you want to get rid of them?
To have more characters like Tara or Stitch? No. Answer is writers who utilize the assets they have, not fire longtime members of the cast just because the current crew is clueless how to use them.

• Members

I recall that Kay left Esther some rights to the mansion. The recap for that day says she gets $20k a month for the upkeep, so presumably this implies that she has the right to stay there whenever she wants as long as she cares for it. So she not only walked away from the mansion, but from a salary of $120k/year.

Chance got 5% of her estate, nothing about the mansion, but I guess Jill is letting them live there (I don't think this was ever specifically spelled out on screen; it seems like people can just randomly decide they want to live in this studio-apartment sized "mansion.")

https://www.soapcentral.com/young-and-restless/recaps/2013/130909.php

Katherine's second bequest went to Esther, whom she left $20,000 a month for life, with the proviso that Esther would continue to care for the mansion. Esther had joyous tears as she agreed gladly.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Esther ran into Nina a while back and Nina asked her if she missed the mansion and wanted to return to take care of it a few days a month (or something to that effect). Esther was excited and I don't think we've seen her since.

The departure of Kevin was long overdue.  Had it not been for Josh Griffith needing the show the (s*itty) way it was when he left, Kevin would have stayed gone.  I don't mind Chloe being back.Chloe and Chelsea both on-screen seem redundant. As for Kevin and Chelsea though, no one was picketing or flying planes begging for either's return.  I like GR, but Kevin had run his course back when he exited. What police work does he do? Paul is off camera and Rey does exciting work like  accompany Chelsea to another state.  The GCPD exists in theory, but that's it at this point.

Edited by slick jones

• Members

I'm behind and just watching the ep where Ash and Victoria arrive at his NY penthouse.

YIKES!

They need to clear half of the stuff on that set. I think they were going with the 'eclectic priceless art collectors' look but even if all that stuff was genuine it does not photograph well.

Sally/Jack does not work ,especially the writers ignoring the age difference.

Peter Bergman always has Jack looking at his phone when he enters CL/Society (which he does with monotonous regularity)

• Members

Sometimes this show feels like it’s written by aliens who have never interacted with human beings. (That comment is in regards to this Mariah abduction story.)

Glad to see Sally moved into Chloe and Adam’s orbit (even though the whole Chloe-working-with-Adam thing is… odd).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

That comment could apply to a lot of the stories and scenes on the show right now. In the recent episode I watched, everyone seemed bizarrely unmoved and even bored by the news that Ashland has decided to get treatment for his terminal cancer. I know some of the characters on Y&R are marked by their WASPy reserve, but come on!

• Members

LOL you nailed it! And at least Sally being moved into this orbit will probably be the most engaging thing she has done since Theo left.

That could be interesting and I could easily see that happening. I mean I don’t think we even know much about Sally’s mom to begin with. Phyllis is too obsessed with Sally. Now we are having Phyllis huff & puff “I need to warn Chloe about Sally!” Really? Since when have Phyllis & Chloe ever had interaction? It’s a very silly that Phyllis can’t get over her daughter being happy. 

• Members

Phyllis' relentless vendetta towards Sally is overkill. Yes, it is in character but for it to be an A story?

Wish we could get a new writer/producer.

Anthony Morina is obviously just there to get the show on air - he doesn't seem to care about sets, lighting,costuming staging ,plotting, character motivations etc.

Adding Susan Dansby has made no difference - me thinks it was just a PC move.