Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You're giving them too much credit. 100% the story was intended to last a lot longer than that and the contract negotiation breakdowns is what rushed the ending.
Even with the terrible plotting and pacing of the writing team, that Tara story surely was intended to have a more explosive ending than this one-episode limp deal and done.
Because if this was the plan all along, yeesh.

• Members

You’re both right that their hand was forced by the contractual issues. They really bet on the wrong horse with this story because it’s absolutely dominated the show over the past few months, and they’re left with… this.

Tara was such a dreary miscast that I can’t imagine this being drawn out for months and months. (I feared they’d latch her on to Jack to save the character. Glad they weren’t that invested in her.) Usually, low-energy actors spark when their characters go from good to bad, and EL still flatlined every scene she was in after Tara went full-on villain.

They could have had Sally target Nick, but if they’re going there, they’re doing a pretty crappy job of moving in that direction. This is the second or third time this year they’ve had to bail on a story because they had issues with the cast (the Chabby marital drama surrounding the baby being the other, and we see how they’ve tried to salvage that one).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

So Sally has lost Jack and Lauren for good; she’s vowed revenge once again to Phyllis; we saw Nick annoyed that Phyllis left the Grand Phoenix with Jack…

…they HAVE to be setting up a Sally/Nick affair, right? They’d be insane not to be. And Sally should go work for Adam (which would mean she’d be working with Nick, which would annoy Phyllis to no end).

And I hear

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

As I said earlier in this thread, Nick/Sally was always pretty obvious but I do wonder how they are going to set it up if he is siding with Phyllis' ridiculous kvetching over that Italy job. But I will reserve judgement to see if they have chemistry or not.

So basically we are redoing exactly what we did four or five months ago after the whole Wyatt fiasco was revealed.

• Members

I don’t get why Phyllis acted like a 4 year old child after Summer announced she was not coming back and was very happy in Milan. “My daughter LOST everything!!!” just rang so false and exaggerated it was silly. Phyllis deserves to lose Nick over this display of nonsense. 

• Members

This is why I think they’ve botched it. They should have had Sally in Nick’s orbit a LOT sooner to be see if there’s a there there. We should have had MANY scenes of them together by now, instead of a handful. Casual chats at the Grand Phoenix. Anything. Because everything is right there to tell the story of an affair except for the most important thing, the connection, which, at this point, would take time to build. It may not even be worth it.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

It was easy to foresee and THIS is why this entire stupidity of a storyline wasn't worth a dime.
Summer liked this job so much she even stayed there even knowing how she got it. Which is proof that it did not matter how she got it.
It was a great offer and she took it because she thought it was a great offer and she kept it because she thought it was a great offer. So who cares if it came about because some people had an agenda? 
"Oh no Sally gave my daughter her dream job" is not the WW2 conflict the show think it is. I mean, I accept that Phyllis would be the kind of person who would be unself-aware enough to act self-righteous about that kind of stuff and go on a crusade. I am fine with that. But for everyone around her to nod along is stupid.

Also: I don't care that Jack broke with Sally "for good". First because we did the exact same thing four months ago and it took him all of a month to get over it. And second because we don't really know what was going on there since it was never made clear and therefore I can't much care. They tried but it didn't work. No loss.

I am a lot more annoyed with Lauren being judgemental. Considering the things she has done in her day, for her to clutch her pearls at such minor nonsense irritates me to no end.
It was one thing that she was shocked by the Flo-as-hostage thing. But getting a rival a job abroad to get her out of the way? That's peanuts for the Lauren I know.
Imagine if Lauren had actually been relatively nonplussed about it and argued with Phyllis when Phyllis tried to pressure her into cutting ties with Sally. How much more interesting would it have been while being in character, instead of dragging Lauren out once a month to act as an appendage of other characters.

• Members

So true. Many instances where there could have been some  natural conflict is passed over.

Abby could have been annoyed that Chance took off with good reason, but no she sat around praising him for his heroics.

Nick could have been ticked off by Phyllis' reaction but he was passive about the whole thing.

Are Kevin and Chloe still supposed to be living at the Chancellor Estate? WTH are they?

Kevin should have thrashed things out with Chloe over working with Adam (as ridiculous as that is) but he's offscreen.