Y&R August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It still seems Josh is writing whatever sticks onto the wall without much substance. Faith and Moses are written like they're 65 year old's at a Miami retirement village. And let's not start with this dull "Surrogate Caper" because I bet Josh just decided who was the captor of Mariah a month ago. 

• Members

Indeed.

The show is the literal equivalent of a heavy dose of NyQuil.

Seems like Mariah will be rescued soon, glad Kevin is on the case. Stitch always seemed suspicious but the pacing.....

Is it the pandemic, lack of tactility, but many of the actors are really phoning it in. I get it, it can be boring but you're still getting a paycheck. It's not all the actors but it's really annoying. 

Please register in order to view this content

Assuming like many other shows, they do Covid-19 tests at least 1x a week.ong other protocols, why can't characters even hug at times? I'm thinking back to Summer leaving for Italy, saying her goodbyes and there was a lack of warmth in many of her scenes like with her sister. They were meters apart and it read like "See ya!" when it was a long goodbye.

• Members

For the Chance/Abby wedding, they all quarantined in a bubble for a couple of weeks before filming. (and then D.Boaz got covid and was not allowed to film).  The show made a point of stating in interviews that they had to do this special bubble just so the wedding party could be near each other and hug etc during the wedding episodes.   I don't know specifically what they did but they indicated it was some special procedure.  This was before there was a vaccine. 

When some cast first got vaxxed, the first intimate scene was Billy/Lily.  But otherwise it seems the actors are socially-distanced.  The only ones who  touch are Case/Grossman who are a real-life couple. Bryton/Bryni are a real-life couple but their characters aren't.

I would have liked to have seen Sharon/Rey and Sharon/Tessa consoling each other over Mariah being missing but ... for the sake of the actor safety, I'm glad they are still distanced. I just imagine in my head that they hugged during the commercial breaks. I can do that if it keeps everyone safe.  

Edit to add, even if everyone is vaxxed, I understand the distancing because of the virus variants. (and we don't know if everyone is vaxxed or not)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Probably something about unnecessary bitterness over what happened to his own demented turned suddenly incontinent preteen son with a brain tumor that made him evil/psychotic. 

Seriously, that’s how I remember their breakup happened. After teasing for weeks Stitch and Abby were to be reconciled I just remember Stitch returned in one episode and informed Abby that Max had a setback and was fully incontinent/diapered again or something and it was too much for Abby to take. They quickly divorced amicably after that and Stitch just faded into the background and was gone in early 2017 without an exit.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

The show relied for months on Kyle/Summer/Tara et al and there's not much else happening.

Mariah's disappearance was poorly structured and paced. Apparently she works at Jabot, as does Jack but he is never at the office.

Abby runs Society but she's never there, which is OK because there no customers.

Phyllis runs Gross Peanut, which consists of her standing in the lobby chewing the set.

The show is still relying on'business' stories and job status that is just filler.

Adam hires Chloe, even though she has tried to kill him. Chloe hires Sally for some poorly defined fashion platform.

Gloria turns up after months for a one day story about taking over JVC (what is that anyway?)

Chance.com is a news outlet that nobody works at, and whose only story is Locke/Newman merger. They're supposedly equal partners but Billy leads everything with Lily tut tutting in response.

Devon has a business but he wanders around town being a sounding board.Oh and he loves Amanda.

Nate and Elena work at the hospital but they're never there.But they chat a lot. Imani was interested in Nate a few weeks ago, but nothing came of it.

Moses doesn't want to be a doctor and he likes Faith.She likes him too.

Nikki warns Adam. Nikki warns Sally. someone should warn Nikki she's about to burst out of her blouse.

And everyone is super,super rich and successful.We know because they tell us.

And on it goes...

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Case/Grossman have been an item since 2019, they never announced it, but they were seen together on trips so those social media pics made it seem apparent. Nothing overt, no kissing or declarations. It just *seemed* that way. In latter half of 2020 they announced it officially: Because of Covid nobody was allowed to touch, so Case told the powers that be -- well we are together so if you need characters to touch during Covid, we can pass/qualify for the Covid set guidelines/restrictions. In other words: if you put us in scenes, the show will still be in compliance. She wasn't pitching a Shadam relationship for the characters, just letting the powers that be know they had options.  Case did a whole public interview saying that this is what she told the show.  (My thoughts: I'm sure everyone already knew they were together but officially nobody knew). After that interview Case and Grossman openly showed on their instagrams that they spent Christmas 2020 together, and they have tweeted I love yous to one another.

Bryton and Brytni have been together officially for quite a while. They bought a condo and moved in together in early 2020 and did an interview about that. at first Devon and Elena were in a relationship so that was easy.

Then during Covid, Nate and Elena began an affair: so ... when Nate and Elana had sex their very first time, it was at the clinic, Bryton filled in as the body double for Sean Dominic. Sean and Bryton's body types are very different, so the show filmed Bryton and Brytni making love on an exam table or hospital bed at the clinic --  via a shadow/silhouette of them on the wall, with closeups of her face but not him, ... and then later they showed Sean Dominic in "afterwards" mode buttoning his shirt or starting to stand up or something like that.  I think Nick Newman knocked on the door of the clinic so Elana/Nate hastily dressed and answered the door. If you looked very closely at the sex silhouettes, you could see that the man's head had very little hair like Bryton, but you'd have to be looking for that.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Camryn Grimes isn't pregnant.  Someone asked her on twitter if she's pregnant and she said no. 

Camryn was in Ireland visiting her friend Haley Erin. (Haley Erin played Kiki Jerome on GH.)  Haley married an Irishman and is living in (or temporarily residing in) Ireland, and Haley is pregnant with twins.  Camryn went to visit and to the baby shower. Pics on Haley's instagram.

I assume that the kidnapping would have been written long before Camryn ever planned her trip.  I assume it was a coincidence that the kidnapping plot happened around the time of Camryn's trip.  That being said, regarding all of Mariah's scenes alone in the room with no other characters - those scenes could have been filmed at any time before/after Camryn's trip.

Edited by janea4old