Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not sure about this. 

Mariah has already become same sex attracted and now Abby?

On another note,Anthony Morina has slipt under the radar. Never gives interviews or statements. Leads me to believe that Sony/CBS are basically in control and Josh will write to their dictates.

Anthony is there purely to oversee production with little creative input.

• Members

That was me. I’m very pro-sexual fluidity, mind you, but I think it could an interesting story for a restless, searching character like Abby to explore different aspects of her sexuality over time. And who knows? She may realize later on that she prefers being in a heterosexual relationship and break Mariah’s heart in the end. It could also give Mariah misgivings for handing the child she’s carrying over to Abby and Chance. Mariah might have been seduced by the idea of Chance never returning, and she and Abby starting a family together, only to have that have that dreamed dashed by Chance’s unexpected return.

I’m not sure the show as currently written is the place for it, though.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I hear the story and I wouldn't be mad at it but I do agree that having another until-now-completely straight character "explore" would ring wrong. At least Mariah was fresh enough that we could believe it. There has never been any suggestion of anything for Abby so it would feel plot-driven.
I mean, I'd accept it if properly written but if they wanted to really explore bisexuality or hetero-flexibility, the seeds for Adam were already planted and they never did anything with it. He would be a better candidate once they realize what is interesting about the character is everything that they are pushing under the rug right now in efforts to sell the character as a romantic lead.

• Members

Years ago I could see Abby being a new version of Mindy Lewis (Kimberly Simms). Involved with a married man, I even considered Cane at some point lol.

MO doesn't really feel like an Abbott or a Newman.  Perhaps a Grace Turner type? 

Another big problem for me is Kyle. He doesn't look like an Abbott to me. He could be Noah, but not Kyle. 

Watching KM play Amanda makes me understand how important MM's presence is. Watching Karla makes my ask myself: " Why should we care about this newcomer's drama?"

MM should be the star of the show. 

• Members

I understand your POV, and it’s probably the POV of most people, which is why it would be risky. For me, it wouldn’t feel jarring that Abby hadn’t been shown feeling attraction to women previously. Sometimes people just spark with a certain person. And I think there would need to be some beats played to get there (which JG and team have never shown an interest in—see the rushed Sally/Jack pairing). I’m also thinking Mariah’s own journey (which ultimately resulted in a new sexual identity) might inform her initial reaction to Abby. Like, I’ve been there, girl. Don’t do this if you’re just lonely and dabbling and feeling like your previous relationships to men have failed.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I always thought that Melissa Ordway was too old to play Abby.  Abby was technically born in November 2000.  Even with SORAS, it makes no sense to have a 38 year old portraying her.  That is an 18 year gap.  

Edited by Meredith

• Members

IMO Michael Mealor vaguely works as Alex Donnelly’s son, so his Kyle doesn’t bother me lookswise. The problem for me is the mushy characterization. To start, the show wasn’t quite sure if they wanted him as a wild Lothario in a nod to Jack’s early days or a salt-of-the-earth romantic hero, and now he’s just bland.