Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't stand the way the Abbotts are acting, though it's true to form given how they've treated Theo. Kyle is parading around with the paternity results acting like he's doing some noble thing by "saving" Harrison from the evil clutches of Ashland Locke when in reality, all I see is a child being ripped from the only father he has ever known, and whom he seems to have a good relationship with. Ashland is a lot of things when it comes to business (and tbh not too different from Victor), but I believe he genuinely loves his son. What bugs me the most is that by the end of all of this, the Abbotts will come out on top given how predictable JG is.

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

Why in the world would they give Kyle a kid? He’s a giant baby himself, constantly running to his daddy. The kid is better off with Harrison. 
Are Sally and Jack done? That’s ridiculous that they didn’t give those 2 a chance. And enough of the Sally/Summer scenes. HK has no chemistry with the other actors. 

• Members

Sally had sworn to make Phyllis pay for interfering with her relationship with Jack. No follow-up to that at all. You’d expect Nick to be in her crosshairs by now, since they seemed to foreshadow that when Nick walked into the Grand Phoenix after Sally made her vow of revenge.

• Members

Jack and Sally were a horrible couple.   He's about twice her age or more!  Hunter King has chemistry with a lot of actors including those who play Kyle, Nick, Jack, Sally, Phyllis, etc.  But I agree on Kyle being "a giant baby" and "running to his daddy".   And agree on the kid, who is Harrison, likely being better off with his believed father Ashland.

• Members

We have discussed it in the past in the context of these young characters rushing to marry but it is astonishing how eager the show is to AGE those characters.

Not only marriage and being high executives barely out of high school but now a kid? And it is an all-around thing because that outfit Summer was wearing during her conversation with Tara would have been incredibly dowdy even for a 45yo, let alone a beautiful girl in her 20s.
To make the storylines believable they have to make the character look older than they are so they have to write their dialogue, choose their wardrobe to be incredibly age-inappropriate but the other way around.

How about letting characters in their 20s have storylines that 20 yos can relate to? Heck, on a purely shallow level, Kyle and Summer are both aesthetically pleasing. Why not let them be sexy and fun instead of dressing them corporate every day?

• Members

Yes, there is a lot of story to be mined from those characters being in their early 20's, learning the ropes at the business and flucking up - maybe having a sense of entitlement that contributes to that, having different relationships etc.

But having Summer and Kyle already been through 2 marriages and enthusiastically looking forward to getting hitched again is ridiculous.

Haven't they learnt how restricting that is ,especially down the road? Characters reach their 30's and have several marriages and possibly a number of kids under their belt.

• Members

i don’t think KM has been great at all. She might be a decent actress, but she isn’t Amanda. She smiled too much and there was no edge to her performance.

Yeah, we know you hate Hunter King and Michelle Stafford.

Next.

Crimson Lights had a makeover, so don’t look for another one. I agree with you about the long shots, lack of extras, etc. The Grand Phoenix rooms are horrific. Motel 6 looks more luxurious.

My fear is that they’re used to saving money on sets, extras, casting, etc. — and they won’t return to pre-COVID budgeting and production as the pandemic ends. I worry they’ll see no good in spending more and looking better just to keep the same audience levels. 

I am so tired of Lauren holding meetings at Society, and tired of so man6 character discussions taking place in the hotel lobby. It’s pathetic, and a terrible look for the #1 rated soap. Then there’s that crummy, small boardroom at Jabot. Lily and Billy operate the huge Chance Comm from her small office. The new apt. for Billy and Lily looks like pieces of the old Billy and Phyllis apt. — just arranged differently but not as nicely.

Should I continue?

• Members

They can create sets like Chelsea's room at the mental health facility but no offices.

At this point, I'd settle for a generic office set that could be used for different characters.

Surely with a bit of ingenuity it could be redressed to look sufficiently different. Move the (different ) desk to an opposite side, hide a window with a bookcase, then move the bookcase to reveal it etc

I'm watching 1966 Peyton Place and the Peyton Mills office is doing double duty as the DA's office...

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Rooms? You mean room... which they recycle and re-use for different sets of people. Much like they ended up doing with the GCAC.

It reminds me of Days of Our Lives re-using the same kind of set for different sets.

The fact that the Restless Style set was Victor's old penthouse is the biggest "what the fuh" moment.

As for Jabot... I'd rather Jack's office return. It was much nicer. They could have, at least, recycled the Chancellor boardroom.

Ah yes, ageism at its finest. We love to see it in 2021.