Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

There was room for them to have her grow bitter into being a bitch to Summer considering that Summer and her mom went after her for no reason from Day One and ruined her relationship with Jack.
Except that for it to work, it would have required subtler writing AND that the show wouldn't feel the need to prop up Summer and Summer/Kyle. 

Unfortunately the latter means Sally has to be the villain rather than a battle between two strong-willed women who are equals and neither of whom are perfect.
I don't like the way they are going with this either: if you wanna emphasize the bitterness, set it up properly. If you want to emphasize the ambition, set it properly: her early scenes on B&B were stellar in that regard in incorporating the OG Sally in young Sally's dreams. You *felt* where she was coming from and you accepted her latter choices.
Here they are not giving anything to the YR audience to understand her.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

+1’s to everyone!

The writing for Sally has been horrible. She’s been written off in a corner with no viable romance, no friends, no professional occupation etc. It’s really bad. The show should have kept Theo around to make this work but it failed to do so. Instead Sally has a become pointless spoiler for Bummer and has been ruined again in the process. Reminds me of how B&B did her wrong, it’s funny she went crazy over a couple in Wyatt and Flo when Thudley doesn’t even write for them anymore at all. 

• Members

Never quite understood indeed why Bell chose to sully a character that had built so much goodwill and an actress everyone had recognized as having potential for a quick plot point that made no sense. But I guess the answer is in the question.
What Y&R is doing with her is more bizarre. I don't think she is "ruined" but she is not building up to be the kind of significant presence that she deserves to be. Better writing could remedy that but alas I don't see it coming on the horizon.

That being said, remember how horrible Summer has been written as behaving at times and yet here we are they are clearly wanting her to be our younger leading lady. So not all hope is lost with Sally if serendipity leads her in a good direction.
It is Emmy-nominated Courtney Hope now. Surely they know what they have and understand the potential they are not tapping into.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Phyllis & Summer had plenty of a reason to go after Sally, after her going after Jack (I still think for money and position, she "may" have fell for him after that, not too sure about it though, and Summer's job, and her bitchiness period.  Also, after Sally blackmailed Kyle and Summer, they got dirt on her for good reasons, and they got real stuff she did in L.A. Plus Phyllis was helping protect her daughter since she was a lot like Sally when she was younger. 

• Members

— Why would Summer automatically accept Ashland’s job offer that would get her out of town? Don’t understand why Sally thinks this is such a great idea.

— Why does Harrison need a nanny now that Tara is with him at the house all the time? Isn’t Mrs. Martinez now his buddy (in scenes we don’t see)?

— Why does the apt. that Billy and Lily are renting look like an awful knock-off of Billy’s last place with Phyllis? I swear these sets get worse and worse. 

• Members

That was only one reason, NOT the only one!   Summer is close to Jack, because he once was her step-dad, plus he's her fiance's father.   Phyllis and Jack are friends, and she is Jack's ex-wife. It was in NO way an "out of thin air to create conflict". 

• Members

There is absolutely no reason for Summer or Phyllis to get THAT pressed about Sally flirting with Jack.
"Her fiance's father" (come on!) can date whoever the hell he wants.
Now, can she have an opinion? Sure. Is she entitled to dislike Sally on-sight? Sure.

But the vendetta that the writers created was WAY out-of-proportion with the lack of compelling motive. There needed a real personal reason for them to hate her that much. We were not given it, sorry, and that did a disservice to the story and the characters involved.
It was an artificial conflict.

• Members

Their scenes had a flow to them you don't always get.   JAG has been on point as Moses. The scenes he shares with Faith spark, too.  not romantic spark, they just bring life into what could be boring scenes.  He was a great casting choice!

Please register in order to view this content

This scene choked me up a bit----not gonna lie.  Love how Moses  towers over Devon and Lily.

My only disappointment was that Jill and Nina weren't also there.

• Members

Nina’s absence is a particularly big oversight, especially since TC wasn’t available for the original tribute, and she’s now around.

Unpopular opinion, but Bryton is easily one of the best actors on this show. Does a lot with a little. Rarely, if ever, hits a false note IMO.

• Members

He's indeed very good. There was no way that character would have had so much shelf-life when he first appeared. It is down to him that he managed to make Devon a solid lasting leading man.
That said, Devon's stories have often not worked for me. But that's because the writing has been atrocious and that much is true of many characters the past fifteen years so I can separate his talent from the lackluster use they make of him.