• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the therapy, honey. Back at you, though.

*I’M* worked up over all of this? LOLOL You could have fooled me.

And please. The idea that vets are always right and always have to be supported is too lame for words. It’s just ridiculous.

• Members

In the relatively brief time I’ve been watching GH, one thing that has stuck out is Carly’s character being loud, obnoxious (under the guise of being some kind of Mama Bear) and pretty much always getting away with ‘overpowering’ everyone, knowing she’ll end up on top.

In my opinion, that kind of predictability doesn’t make for a relatable or sympathetic character, especially when she’s not meant to be a villain, as determined by the writers.

So when Carly yet again skated it in relation to Nelle’s death (even when the truth she hid came out) showing very little sympathy for Nina’s situation, then threatening to get in the way of a relationship with Wiley, I’d hoped she would be proven wrong and that her attempts to meddle would backfire.

So imagine my frustration now the writers appear to have portrayed Carly as being right again

Please register in order to view this content

And in a way Nina may not be able to skate herself.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

Yeah, the show's treatment of Carly is one reason why I haven't watched a whole episode of GH in years. (I normally just catch up with the show via recaps and YouTube clips featuring my favorite characters, who don't include Carly these days). In some ways, I think Carly is a very similar character to Sami on DAYS, except there's no shortage of characters who will call Sami out on her crap, and the writers have a good handle on Sami's many psychological problems.

With Carly, it feels like the GH writers want to depict her as a "fierce" heroine, so they sidestep any real engagement with her serious character flaws, which would make the show far more interesting. Some of the blame might go to Laura Wright herself. On Guiding Light, her Cassie was a similarly obnoxious and entitled "heroine" who didn't really gain interesting layers until Wright left and Nicole Forester started playing her.  

Edited by prefab1

• Members

It's been this way for, I would say, +2 decades? TPTB are under the delusion that the viewers love Carly and LW. They write the character's harassing aggression as a signifier for 'fiesty.' It has always bothered me. To be fair to LW, she actually (maybe unintentionally) plays Carly as written -- a smug, hair-tossing loudmouth -- and it hammers home how unsympathetic Cujo is.

'Let's ruin another character in order to make an already unsympathetic character the good guy by default' was Robert Guza's M.O. back in the day and it seems to be still in vogue over there. It's too bad because Cynthia Watros is such a palatable Nina. Maybe the writers will surprise us and write Carly in the wrong for once.  Lord, what am I saying?

• Members

I'm Team Nina!!! I'm ready for Carly to be taking down a peg or two. And can Michael grow a pair and tell Carly he can handle raising his son without unneeded interference from his mommy. Why is Monica letting Carly into her house after what occurred with AJ she wouldn't be crashing through like she owns the place.