• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Never said anyone had to, I responded to the notion MS was or is disrespecting her co stars, I get and understand one preferring GT over MSs perceived overacting and tics!

There's also Julia Barr returning as Brooke after HH

• Members

I’m not sure why, but I never got over JJ’s Lucky treating his mother like garbage and the pleasure he took in his cruelty. I was happy to see him go because I could never like him after that. 

The recasts (but especially Greg Vaughan) made me not want the character to die for real in another fire and I was pissed when JJ came back only to almost immediately level another misogynistic, self-righteous nasty little diatribe at yet another woman he was supposed to care about (granted, Elizabeth deserved his anger more than Laura did, but he was still a worthless prick in those scenes just like his half-brother was).

• Members

Another prime moment was her bird Squawking moment with Abby. People ate that up on Twitter but lord was it terrible. Once her profile was raised with Phick and they turned her into the shows lead heroine her acting chops were done. She has never recovered and that includes when she was on GH. I loved Sandra Nelson as Phyllis, but I still welcomed MS back and she was fabulous for a long time. Then with Gina Tognoni, she was also a very strong Phyllis. I think she lacked the sex appeal the others brought to the role, but her acting was so strong I didn’t miss it. With the current run it’s *okay* but they also haven’t given her an actual story to truly judge. That’ll be the real test.   

• Members

Granted, I wasn't watching much during the Greg Vaughan years, but I just could not accept him as Lucky. He looked nothing like the original Lucky, and his personality was totally different as well. (Didn't Lucky suddenly decide to become a cop when GV was playing him?) JJ might have often played Lucky as a sanctimonious prick, but at least that was in keeping with the very distinct character we'd seen grow up onscreen in the 1990s, who got suddenly replaced by this bland "soap hunk" pod-person. (It's like if GH decided to recast Robin with Chrishelle Strause). 

I think this is one of the things that's killing soaps: fans demand to see "legacy children" of "core families" onscreen, and so producers trot out these periodic recasts, but put very little care into casting choices or character consistency. 

• Members

I still don’t get why they haven’t revisited her relationship with Christine. Lauralee Bell is still viable and they had the strongest chemistry. Sharon/Phyllis and Abby/Phyllis will never compare. Phyllis should be in a love triangle with Christine and Nick if they really want fireworks. 

• Members

That was how I felt with Jacob Young.  Here we had an attractive, more sensitive leaning young male lead and they replaced him with someone that looked like a model and did not have a good handle on the character.  I think he grew a lot as an actor by the time he left and certainly on AMC and his return to B&B, but not on GH, especially once the Nikolas recast happened. They were awful together.

Greg was the typical soap hunk, although he had a little more acting ability than some of them did/do.  But not enough to hang specific characteristics on except genuinely nice person.

Jonathan really seemed like Luke and Laura’s kid- he had some of Luke’s grit and was scrappy, and he had all of that emotion that Laura has.  And just like her, the show as written by Guza would prefer them to be miserable and crying all the time.

• Members

Da Stafford© had her success 1994-97 and 2000-2006ish, after that it was all downhill and she never recovered aside from some notable work in late 08-early 09. 

As soon as a I read think I immediately thought of Kyle on Y&R. How many actors, personality changes, “big secrets & schemes” has this character gone through now in the last decade? Way too many to count.  Same with Noah on Y&R, SOARSed but given absolutely nothing to do aside from getting a new love interest about every other year and supporting Sharon that’s about it. Three actors yet no clear defined personality at all.  

I remember both ATWT and Days had similar issues in the late 00’s, especially when it came to character destruction. (Jeremy Horton!)

• Members

Oh god, Jacob Young! I never saw the end of his run on GH--the constant mob stories and Natalia Livingston finally drove me away--but when he started, he was incredibly wooden. The best thing I could say about his performance is that he convincingly played a man who had been brainwashed. 

• Members

Seems like the soaps feel like that’s a feature, not a bug. (That Patrick Mulcahey “don’t be too specific” line keeps popping up.) If roles are sketchily defined, they are infinitely recastable and can fulfill whatever purpose needed on the canvas. How often have soaps recasted 20-30something leading men with bland actors who often barely look like each other, much less portrayed as sharing any defining character traits? That’s been the case as long I’ve been watching soaps. Actors leave for Hollywood; writing/EP teams turn over and change the direction of the show. We might like a certain actor of a particular era, but there’s very little sense of who that character is over time, because with each recast, they are used for whatever function needed for them at the moment. Like how Pierson Fodé’s Thomas on B&B was generally a stand-up guy while Matthew Atkinson’s was a monster because the show needed an epic villain to drive ratings.

Edited by Faulkner