• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I loved her during her original run as Kelly. Dinah was her tour de force, of course, but you definitely could see her star quality early on. She really benefited from becoming a harder, tougher actress, but it didn’t suit her as Kelly during her second run.

• Members

Great post @namkcuR

I distinctly remember Janet's exit story on AMC. She had murdered her old prison buddy with a giant plastic candy cane which resulted in the family going on the run. I hated it. And then they brought her back as a cartoon and murdered Trevor. It felt almost personal.

I actually preferred Sabine Singh as Greenlee. Largely because Rebecca Budig had given up on even pretending to care about the material. She seemed to hate everything handed to her after Leo's death. I never understood why she stayed beyond the money.

• Members

Yeah I remember Bashioum wanted to stay on but was trying to work around her college schedule so the show balked. Which was odd since I think Asia Ray Smith(Jack Smith’s daughter) was doing the same thing, except in her case Sierra was put as a possible love interest with Devon. Asia was dismissed the minute Latham came in.

Definitely right about JT & Mac, I remember SOD rightly named them as Most Boring Couple of 2005. Rachel Kinsey was lousy in the role, although she later did pretty well as Rafe’s deranged ex-sister in law on Days a few years later. 

Another one I just thought of was Gwen on Passions with Huber coming back to replace Zea, even though Zea was the superior  actress IMO.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I was so happy when AshBash returned as Mac. She was the only actress who really got Mac’s sullenness and vulnerability. And she had the best chemistry with Jeanne Cooper and Jess Walton. Had the show allowed her to stay and if she had wanted to, she could have successfully taken the character forward probably until now. I didn’t hate Rachel Kimsey or Clementine Ford as much as Kelly Kruger. I can’t stand that they let her return a few years ago. Easily one of Y&R’s worst recasts ever. She probably only got asked because her husband Darrin Brooks works at CBS over at B&B.

• Members

Rachel was a decent actress, imo. She was obviously casted to put with JT, but the writers overestimated interest in the pairing. They should have wrote Mac out once Ashely left the second time. And I won’t even start on casting Clementine. A huge miss and probably the reason why Villy was put together. 

Kelly at least had  believable chemistry with David Tom, but he covered up her acting deficiencies for sure. Once he left, her days were numbered. I’m guessing they brought her back last year because no liked Clementine and Kelly was actually there during tail end of the Mac/ Billy story plus the Darrin connection helped.  Ashley doesn’t really act anymore it seems. It would have been awkward to see Ashley as Mac with Jason playing Billy. He looks too old to play Billy compared to the other GBJ kids aside for Thad. 

I actually preferred Liza as Gwen but I barely watched when Natalie was in the role. I thought she had chemistry with Eric unlike Lindsay Hartley. 

• Members

The big one I recall is Grant Aleksander returning to GL after John Bolger took over the role. Bolger didn't leave much of an impression on me---and every once in a while I catch old GL episodes with him in it, and he's just not Phillip.  I guess GL pretty much agreed, I don't think they ever recast the role again when GA left.

• Members

Bo Brady (DAYS

Please register in order to view this content

Peter Reckell returned after Robert Kelker-Kelly played the role to some success in the ‘90s.

Skye Chandler (or whatever her last name ended up as - on AMC/OLTL/GH) - Robin Christopher wasn’t the first Skye, but she was the best-known, and she reclaimed her role after Carrie Genzel’s well-received stint on AMC in the mid-‘90s.

Jack and Jennifer (DAYS) - Again, Matt Ashford wasn’t the originator but the one who made the role famous. After his early ‘90s departure, we had Mark Valley Jack (hot) and Steve Wilder (not), neither of whom had his wit or intelligence, so fans welcomed back Ashford. Then we had Missy as Jennifer—again not the originator—who was a sensation, and the less well-received Stephanie Cameron assuming the role during her “time away to heal.”

Angie Baxter Hubbard (AMC) - Became a soap icon played by Debbi Morgan in the ‘80s. When she left, the much-younger Saundra Quarterman stepped in for a spell before leaving Pine Valley. But it was Morgan who reprised the role on Loving, The City, and, years later, back on AMC.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Phyllis Summers - Y&R
Michelle Stafford: 1994-1997
Sandra Nelson: 1997-1999
Michelle Stafford: 2000-2013
Gina Tognoni: 2014-2019
Michelle Stafford: 2019-present

I liked Sandra Nelson a lot. (She was in a couple of the recently-aired classic epis.) 

I loved Michelle Stafford in 2015-2016.

I grew to love Gina and I miss her.

I feel kind of "meh" about Michelle now.

--

Here is Sandra Nelson on instagram from April 2020.

She's talking about something unrelated to soaps.
But I find fascinating, that in just a few seconds of her voice, I know this is Phyllis. She's still got that thing, 21 years later.
(edited to correct from 20 years to 21 years)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

We had five years of Hunt Block's perpetually constipated Craig Montgomery on ATWT, followed by The Other Guy for a year, then original portrayer Scott Bryce returned. And, in true 2000s World Turns fashion, they ignored the amazing thing they had in front of them in favor of Jon Lindstrom (no disrespect to Jon). If that wasn't an indicator that the Oakdale ship was lost at sea, I don't know what was.

• Members

Another Word

Donna Love

Anna Stuart - 1983-86

Philece Sampler - 1987-89

Anna Stuart - 1989-99

Amanda Cory

Sandra Ferguson - 1987-93

Christine Tucci - 1993-95

Laura Moss - 1996-98

Sandra Ferguson - 1998-99

Matthew Cory

Matt Crane - 1988-97

Brian Kruase - 1997-98

Jeff Philips - 1998

Matt Crane - 1998-99

Alice Matthews

Jaqueline Courtney - 1965-75

Susan Harney - 1975-79

Wesley Ann Pfenning - 1979

Vanna Tribbey - 1981

Linda Borgeson - 1981-82

Jaqueline Courtney - 1984-85 & 1989

Marley Hudson

Ellen Wheeler - 1984-86

Anne Heche - 1987, 1988 -89, 1990-91

Jensen Buchanan - 1991-94, 1997, 1998

Ellen Wheeler - 1998-99

• Members

I totally forgot about the Gwens on Passions. I much preferred Natalie to Liza, all day everyday. Natalie also looked much more the part of Andrea Evans daughter once Andrea took over as whatever the mom’s name was.