Best Soap Sibling Relationships - Past & Present

• Members

Whenever people talk about soaps, a lot of the mentions are always about the romantic couples. But I’ve always had a fascination with family dynamics, particularly sibling ones, and I get a kick out of watching the simple interactions between them on various shows.

Some of my favourite sibling relationships to watch:

• Jack/Ashley - Y&R
  • Margo/Craig - ATWT
  • Hogan/Cagney/Quinn - SFT
  • Sami/Eric - DOOL
  • Frank/Harley - GL

Are there some soap sibling relationships that have made an impact on you guys throughout the years?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’ve always enjoyed the competitive relationships between a brother and a sister, so Alan/Tracy on GH, Jack/Ashley on Y&R, and Alan/Alexandra on GL.

I also loved Olivia/Dru on Y&R and in spite of their scenery-devouring tendencies, can’t deny that Kim Zimmer and Laura Wright had a rare and believable sister connection as Reva and Cassie on GL.

I forgot Josh and Billy on GL and Clint and Bo on OLTL. The ‘80s cowboys.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Sami/Eric, Billie/Austin, Brady/Belle, Shawn/Zach, Shawn/Ciara - DAYS

Luke/Bobbie, Robert/Mac - GH

Mason/Eden/Kelly/Ted - SB

Jamie/Amanda/Matthew - AW

Luis/Theresa - Passions

And although they were at odds a lot

Alan/Tracy - GH

Michael/John - AW

JR/Bobby/Gary/Ray - Dallas

• Members

Yep, every single scene these two shared (Chris Bernau and Bev McKinsey). I can’t believe I left them off my initial list. Hands down the most complicated sibling relationship ever (IMO).

• Members

I remember how excited I was back when it was announced in 1999 that ED was returning to Y&R, a lot because I wanted to see how she acted against PB as her on-screen brother. And in 20 years they certainly didn’t disappoint. This is just one example.

• Members

I heard from a few people that Bernau was ready to leave the show long before his illness (later revealed as AIDS) but agreed to stay on when he heard McKinsey would be playing his sister. Sadly, he died a few years later - so it’s a privilege we even got to see these two together and still at their peak.

• Members

Only a short clip, but OMG the cattiness from Dru towards Olivia here. It is such a dirty shame that Y&R wasted Victoria Rowell and Tonya Lee Williams so badly towards the mid-late 2000s. That was another incredibly complicated relationship.

Agreed. Also Reva and Roxie in the 80s (and Rusty too). The whole Shayne clan had a dynamic of their own well apart from the Lewises.

• Members

Going international once again.

•Phil and Grant Mitchell- Eastenders

•The Braxton Brothers/River Boys- Home and Away.

•The Slater Sisters (even though Kat was actually Zoe’s mother)- Eastenders 

•Ronnie and Roxy Mitchell- Eastenders

I’m sure I missed a whole lot but it’s late here in London

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I’ll match your international here (hello fellow Londoner )...

Neighbours - the Robinsons (Paul/Julie/Scott/Lucy). Nowadays it’s just Paul and Lucy, but they still have a very strong and genuine relationship.

• Members

GH- Luke and Bobbie.  I’ve watched a lot of classic scenes from their early years, and they always had a push/pull relationship.  Deep love, but also challenging each other, even in the worst of times.

This scene really shows that their relationship was still the same when BJ died.  Later writers and regimes turned their backs on Bobbie, so she no longer had a point of view and it changed the dynamics of their relationship.  But here you still see them as they were, older, but still there for each other and Luke also not always the best person to lean on.