Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks kalbir - I was about to ask the same question.  My guide on FIOS says 1996 and when I saw it I was like - there is no way it was 1996.  All of these characters were on in the 80's...Andy, Amy, Mary, Carl Williams, Julia, Matthew, Terry Lester as Jack, Gina...

And I was down to barely watching before COVID but has CBS lost its mind?  Not to promote the return of the top Daytime soap?  And one of their own top Daytime shows after Price is Right?  How much effort does it take to film a small promo?  They did pretty good still winning while running re-runs for a couple of months...It's like CBS has just given up.  Their ratings were dropping before COVID and they made no changes and they just let it happen.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

i thought there would be more time to see more classic episodes. 

This is so sad. The spoilers for next week have reminded me how boring the show is now.

I don't understand the people who complained about wanting new episodes and said they weren't watching the old ones.

Even if they were watching back then and saw all of the classic episodes when they aired, it would still be entertaining to watch them again so many years later, to remember how good the show used to be.

• Members

I watched the whole show today.  Man - 1986 and the show was that good.  I forgot how good Terry Lester was - he was so natural.  Multiple interesting stories going on - angst between Jack and Brad and Traci, Julia and Ashley's scenes, the Paul Centerfold story involving his friend Andy, Lauren, his Mom and Dad, Amy...the storylines were so much more interesting than now.  These classic episodes although I haven't watched all of them really show how glaringly bad what I was watching of Y&R with anything "new".  

• Members

The first half of 1986 was the peak of the Bill Bell/H. Wesley Kenney years. The second half of 1986 saw Cricket become a full time cast member and Ed Scott take over as EP. 1985/1986 Y&R moved past All My Children to become #2 and it would remain at #2 for 1986/1987.

• Members

I've noticed this has happened multiple times now.  Who is doing their press releases and does anyone verify or do one ounce of research?  I know it's picky but to me it's not.  When you get it THAT wrong it's clear the person has no knowledge of the show and is probably young compared to me. I'm 50, so I know because I was watching then and would be able to pick that mistake in 3 seconds.  

• Members

In some cases, it seems like hurried research with no verification checking. In other cases, it seems like someone reads poorly and transcribes correct info into incorrect info. And sometimes it's both. Whoever writes these things up should not get a job doing data entry in an accounting firm or doing genealogy reports.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Paul's innocent excitement to have his picture printed in the paper made me laugh. (I'm guessing he might have been excited in the other pic too.)

Please register in order to view this content

Today's '86 and tomorrow's '92 episodes are right up my alley; I have thoroughly enjoyed these last three months of classics and find myself saddened by the news of the show's return.  I was an avid watcher between 1986 - 1996 but the characters and writing of Y&R 2020 couldn't interest me less.  I'm happy for those who've been longing for new episodes, but in my opinion the only improvement the show has seen in 20 years is the quality of the opening credits.