Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you FrenchFan for taking the time to give such a thorough history of their story. I really appreciate it. I've only watched Y&R from the mid-90s to early 2007 and I don't recall Jack and Gina being close during that time. Maybe Gina and John. Of course Gina was just that lady that owned the restaurant everyone went to and anybody's talk-to at this point.

Oh, and Jack was such a horn-dog back in the day. HA! That's a lot of women he was linked to in such a short period of time.

The Dru/Jack scenes were dripping with BTS tension. Especially when it came to their dialogue. Just saying.

Damn, I missy Victoria Rowell. I stopped watching when she left and won't watch again unless she miraculously returns.

Edited by crc

• Members

Yes. Moving Jill out of the Abbott sphere generally, which started around 2003 with the Kay is Jill’s mother storyline, and was complete by 2005 with Gloria taking her natural role in the Abbott storyline, was absolutely wrong. It hurt the Abbotts generally, the Jabot angle, Billy specifically, and Jill as well. 

Jabot mattered for the character because Jabot was where Jill found her independence and purpose and excelled at something. 

It is also an issue the show could fix instantly. Such a shame they don’t seem interested in doing so. 

• Members

I whole heartedly agree. Jill vs Gloria could have been much more fun than it ever was - playing these angles. By 2005 the writers really stopped caring for Jill, the Ji-Min story worked due to the actors but apart from That, it was either a collossal waste of Jess Walton’s time and talent or a criminal track record of ill-fated plots: Cane, Sista-Lauren, Colin. Don’t get me wrong: TEB and Tristan Rogers are both amazing in their own right but these plots were so hideous and hastily thrown together...

• Members

One thing the classics have really made me appreciate is just how normal and warm Sharon was before the 2000's completely destroyed her as a character. She was such a perfect heroine before all those writers just took a sledgehammer to her.

And I stand by Josh Morrow still having his best chemistry with Sharon Case. I hate how much they've damaged Nick/Sharon as a couple through the years and this insistence now that Phyllis is just such a better fit for him than Sharon. 

Also I can't believe Lauren has been shackled to the Baldwin/Fishers for 15 years now...Geez.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

I absolutely agree. I never thought Phick had romantic chemistry. It was always sexual, but as a society we now value quick and easy relationships along with dysfunction and the fans loved them. I think it’s part of the reason why BM received so much clout as Billy. There is no way, in my opinion, Kay Alden could have written for him with Mac in 2000, but people enjoy charisma, fun, and sex rather than simple, romantic and decent characters now. 

And I hate what happened to Sharon over the past decade too. I’m not sure if SC would get screen time if she was written how she was in 1994 unfortunately. Look at Elena. She’s barely written for because she’s too nice, but characters like Chelsea who are annoying and useless keep coming back. When the writers try to write for heroines people call them boring and they drop the story. 

• Members

I never understood the Phick chemistry claims. All I’ve seen is that Phyllis will let Nick toss her around in the shower or anywhere else and then they eventually break up. 
I used to be a Sharon and Nick fan but he’s cheated so much I’d just as soon she didn’t bother with him for a long time.