LATEST RATINGS: March 16-20, 2020

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Imagine how bigger the increases would be if the soaps were good. Everyone is asked what they are doing since they are home and not once have I heard someone say catching up on soaps. Back in the day that's what everyone would be doing during these times. 

And I know @clubkidjeff is thrilled with these ratings.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Maybe that B&B fan on Twitter can post a video with Shemar Moore's clip. Just a thought.

True. Even though in the age of so many alternatives, had the soaps had decent storytelling, there would be a significant increase in ratings, or at least not as dismal as it is now. I grew up on soaps but have no desire to watch any of the remaining ones. Honestly, even if ATWT and GL had still been on the air in the state they were when they were canceled, I wouldn't watch either of those shows either.

These shows probably would have better ratings had they shown classic episodes from decades ago.

• Members

I’m not surprised to see the shows gain, as people are quarantining and staying home, but somehow Y&R did not reap the benefits this week.  Monday and Thursday are more accurate numbers for Y&R; Tuesday and Wednesday are not – but because they counted Y&R is down (for that matter how does 4 mins runtime count?)

As others have said, with all the preemptions, the numbers may not be a true representation of viewership.  Wasn’t there one week GH only had like 600,000 viewers, yet the numbers counted; then it rebounded back to “normal” the following week.  Who knows about next week, another show may have more preemptions during its time slot – B&B could be last in HH?!

With that said, as a viewer of both Y&R and B&B, I do find B&B more interesting right now.  That changes week to week.  We need to consider story, as well, and for those that watch B&B know that the previous week a villain's months of scheming was exposed in true soap fashion, during his wedding in front of all the guests, that was Friday; this weeks numbers represent the fallout (as well as a forbidden kiss caught on video that threatens 2 marriages).  So I find it very plausible B&B would gain 400,000 viewers.  Again, Y&R, should be up IMO, but the daily numbers are all over the place so that just didn’t happen.

As well, B&B has been on Y&R’s heels for sometime now, at one point only behind 250,000 viewers last summer (granted more stabilized lately 400,000 / 500,000 viewers).  So it is not out of the realm of possibility that B&B would top Y&R – just not sure this week is an accurate representation of that.

Hopefully that made sense…oh love the clip of Susan Lucci!

Edited by clubkidjeff

• Members

Y&R not being number 1 rated soap after 30+ years reads as a major headline in itself (and a huge blot on Josh Griffith’s book) but I suspect the ‘normal rules of engagement being out of the window’ theme will extend to this. The wider news, preemptions, etc will likely be factored into  this week (despite the other soaps not suffering as much). If this becomes the new norm, (or at the very least, it happens again next week or so) I do think the calls for a change will grow (from both outside and inside the studio), though any action will probably not take place until we are on the other side of this. 

• Webmaster

People simply blaming preemptions are forgetting these details from last year:

B&B’ Ranks #1 In W25-54 For The First Time Ever, Retains #1 In W18-49

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/08/bb-number-one-w25-54-and-w18-49

Ratings Report For The Week Of July 29 – August 2, 2019

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/08/ratings-report-for-the-week-of-july-29-august-2-2019

Ratings Report For The Week August 5-9, 2019

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/08/ratings-report-for-the-week-august-5-9-2019

There were no preemptions during those weeks. In fact, with "Y&R" preempted several times last week it's more likely that "B&B" would have plunged in viewers along with "Y&R." That didn't happen. Also, "DAYS" is airing in such horrid timeslots in big markets like New York and elsewhere (12 noon, which is where "Sunset Beach" failed to for years), and yet that show increased its audience even while it too was preempted by the same news conferences.

Let's. just sit back and chill. We'll see if the trend continues. If it doesn't, asterisk or not, "B&B" still BEAT "Y&R" in total viewers for the first time ever. Nielsen legit counted that and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

• Members

I saw this news the other day and I couldn't believe. It got me to come back to the soap forums after years and years of being gone :D

Wow, I just cannot believe that B&B is the soap that dethroned Y&R. For me, this is so sad. Through the years, I have watched pretty much all the soaps at one point, but I was never able to get into B&B. I don't know if it is any good now (judging by what I read, no), but it is unfortunate that it happened.

I never thought someone would pass Y&R... wow... even if it was due to preemption, but still... 

• Members

I’m curious about similar weeks in the past 30 years. Has Y&R ever had a week when they were so singularly affected by preemptions? A week of 12 pm press conferences for whatever reason? Were they then ever even close to conceding No. 1 to another show? Y&R always has had such an advantage in total viewers, so it had margin to protect its streak. That advantage has really eroded in the past few years. The other soaps have all dropped over time due to changing technology and poor creative decisions, but Y&R has been in absolute freefall.