Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Since my (essential) job is post office adjacent, December (which I hate with the passion of Dark Phoenix) is our busiest time. NO ONE GETS TIME OFF. The owner even worked on his birthday...which was yesterday. 

As for my other job...well...technically I got off. But if it is choice between that and NYE to work, I would rather Xmas. And no one was scheduled properly this weekend so since I normally don't have anything to do (see above post office adjacent job) and it's in hospitality I don't mind. 

And since I've spent the majority of this month between 6/7 am to 11pm either at work or sleep, yes, I don't mind going out for a well deserved (but safe) dancing. Part of the reason, I am not sure about seeing my coworkers is that the region around where I live (which is where they will be) is not nearly as safe as I would like it to be. Versus where I plan to go which again security does check for vaccination cards.

That was something that I liked when I was in NYC for Halloween. They were checking EVERYWHERE I was able to go and God bless them for taking it seriously. 

THIS.

I agree with the quote, but after two years of NOT seriously hurting the stupid people (including a woman who I verbally gathered, dogwalked, and flat out drag in front of EVERYONE AT THE POST OFFICE for daring to not stand 6 feet away from me), I could use a bit of (safe) balance from the idiots. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually think the ball dropping at NYE not being canceled is a good thing.  We can't keep having things paused, or stopped, for the rest of our lives.

All of us have lived with the flu since the 1918 flu pandemic and lived fulfilling lives in one way or another.

All of us need to accept that Covid isn't going away and we need to start moving forward...slowly, but surely.

From what I've been seeing, one of the the reasons omicron has appeared to be milder is due to vaccination.  

My new city I'm living in (Boston) is phasing in vaccine mandates for indoor establishments.  My only concern is the new mayor hasn't indicated the metrics to determine when that will be removed...same with mask mandates.  Failure to spell that out is one of the reasons for mistrust of those in charge (GOP or Dems).

@TaoboiI abandoned that whole 6 feet thing months ago. 

Maybe because I had covid 18+ months ago, and have gotten the 3 booster shots...is why I'm less fearful about Covid then most people I know in real life and on forums.  

• Members

One aspect in which the U.S. has been abysmal at, this other countries have generally been better at, by leaps and bounds, something that would have helped, is contact tracing. Had the U.S. at least made a concerted effort, it might have made a difference, particularly in early warning signs to people who were infected but unaware and the death totals might not have been so appallingly high.

Part of living with a virus of this nature is making the necessary modifications, in order to mitigate the worse outcomes and these things, by and large are still not being done. People still fighting (sometimes literally) over not wanting to wear masks. Tests not being accessible enough to all of the people who need/want them.

People screaming about not having kids in school while the number of schools that have proper ventilation systems that make the air safer so virus doesn't linger in the air, infecting people indoors is still very much a major factor.

None of what I am seeing suggests a country prepared to live with this virus, in a way that doesn't lead to tens of thousands of more COVID-19 deaths per month.

What's going on in the hospitals nationwide seems absolutely unsustainable right now. We can only hope the numbers of hospitalizations decline and very soon.

• Members

I would rather err on the side of caution than to be in a hospital bed. Speaking as a vax and boosted as well, I expect a bit of common sense. If one does not have sense, one gets to deal with the consequences. 

Again, whether we get through this or not is depended on if people can not only think about themselves, but other people to SOME extent as well. 

Now THAT (you had it already and 3 booster shots) I can understand. Sadly, people cannot read minds.

Please register in order to view this content

From what I see in my jobs, just being around town, and talking to friends and family in other places, I agree with. I still felt for the few days I was there, that Manhattan did a more thorough job to stay on top of people masking, v cards, etc. than what I'm seeing here in San Diego now. 

• Members

If we survive this pandemic, it is despite a good percentage of the population.  I spent 9 hours volunteering at a nursing home Christmas Day.  My job was letting visitors in and giving antigen tests to the people who are visiting their loved ones. There was no one else on the front end, so just me and the nurses/CNAs. Not even a manager on duty. It was a complete comedy as I ran around the place like a chicken with its head cut off, but I digress.

This one couple hands me a package and leaves, which they are allowed to do without a test or screening. The nurses don't have time to deal with sort of thing, so I ran it back to that resident's "neighborhood". The charge nurse isn't at the desk, no surprise, so I leave the package at the nurses station.  About an hour later she comes out to tell me those people had covid ( I assume the resident told her) . They brought a package to their elderly mother at a NURSING HOME WHILE THEY KNEW THEY HAD AN ACTIVE CASE OF COVID!! The nurse told me she wanted to burn the package, but we were probably ok. The amount of stupid I encountered last weekend could fill pages.

• Members

When facts come out like this, makes me listen less to doomsday people.

If you're boosted, you'll be fine to go out.  If you've recovered from a case of Covid, you shouldn't be afraid to go out.

I miss the good old days when the mantra was 'face your fears'...and 'step out of your comfort zone'.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-cannot-escape-t-cells-202413250.html