Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I want to touch on some comments mentioned by posters here about some of the recent events that have been going on:

It's unfortunate that children, including high school kids have to miss out on special moments like prom. I wish something could be done for them down the line to help make up for some of the stuff they are losing out on.

It is very unfortunate that people in France are being permitted from even taking a walk outside. I love exercising and not being able to exercise at all, would be rough. It's bad enough that people are already feeling pretty cooped up. Exercising like walking can be very relaxing and not only benefits people's physical health, but often times benefits them mentally and emotionally. I did see that at least LA has closed down places like gyms as well. The gym here is still open (I've been going late at night, when hardly anyone is around) And late last night I saw they have blocked off several of the machines to create at least six feet of distance between people. Stuff like this could help and make people safer, but still allow them to work out, at least in some places. 

Also I saw that the Governor of NC had mandated that restaurants no longer be open for dine in. When I first heard that he did mandated something for the restaurants I was concerned they wouldn't be allowed to be open at all. And this is not because I love to eat out/eat out a lot. (I love to cook and don't eat out much.) I was just concerned for restaurants and their employees and how this would impact their business and wages. I'm glad they can still do takeout, delivery, etc...) I will start to order at least a little more takeout to help support them during these times. I feel bad for people like the waiters, servers, bartenders, etc..., who are going to lose a lot of work/wages. I wish they would end up getting some type of financial help.

And while talking to an elderly client today, and trying to figure out how to best provide a service for him. (He didn't really want to come into an office and also didn't have a computer to do a virtual appointment), I thought of some ways that people can help the elderly/people with compromised health during this time. If you have an elderly relative or client that may need to come in for some type of appointment you can do things like:

Try to schedule the appointment as early as possible. Try to aim to get them the earliest appointment in a day. They can be the first person in a place and get out of there before more people start to come in. This could even apply to something like a hair appointment. A lot of elderly women (including very old ones) get their hair done every couple of weeks. Try to arrange for them to be seen early, or maybe even see if the hairdresser can come in even earlier than the shop is usually open to accommodate them.

Depending on what your business may do, you can offer to help serve them virtually. Though, I have found that quite a few elderly people are not really tech savvy or even own computers. Their kids/grandkids/family members need to help them out here. (And I know that a lot of family members already do this). Ask them if they need anything done and help set up virtual stuff for them. If they don't have kids/grandkids or any nearby a neighbor could check in on them and try and help out as well. Also see if there are drop off options for them if they aren't tech savvy and don't have anyone that can help them do virtual stuff from home. They can drop stuff off and then get out of a business as quickly as possible and pick it up later. Or family members can also drop off stuff for them. Family/friends/businesses try to help them as much as you can.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I read about the millennials in Dallas (and other places) who wouldn't take things seriously and are paying the price; and all I can think of is what it says in the Bible: "Be not deceived; God is not mocked."

As a Christian, I trust in God to get us all through this crisis, but I also believe God gave us brains for a reason.  If there are precautions to take in situations such as this, you take them.  If not for yourself, then you take 'em for others.  (Because, after all, that IS what the so-called "Golden Rule" is all about).  And if you don't, then God, like any good parent, has no choice but to let nature do what it must.

There are young people out there who seriously believe this will kill off all the older people, but the irony would be if this illness were to end up working the other way around. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

this has got to be the most asinine thing I have heard yet. Why would they have an issue with people walking outside? This virus does not travel on the wind like pollen, for God's sake. Unless it's like an area that is so densely populated like Times Square or the equivalent. 

Wow.... that's bizarre. I admit I hate dogs, but if this explodes, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people

• Members

In more lighthearted news, Ashley Tisdale had a High School Musical dance challenge video. There were some entertaining moments, like the surprisingly hot guy who played the coach deciding to do his own version.

Then there is Vanessa Hudgens (who had quite a...productive day on Twitter) deciding to just wave her wine bottle around.

And finally we have a random black man being confused as Corbin Bleu by many, many people, even though Corbin has not looked like this in a long time.

• Members

It really sucks! Today, talk began of our school year being over, and I was flooded with Remind app messages from my seniors who wanted to know if it was true. We haven't gotten there yet, but I fear it'll be soon. I do believe that no school in the country will officially "cancel" a graduation ceremony and just mail diplomas home. The backlash would be immense, and the parents wouldn't allow it. I'm the sponsor of the prom committee at my school, and I fully intend to give those kids a prom, be it in May or August or whenever.

• Members

At least the people in France, Italy and Spain are for the most part intelligent enough to follow the ban on going out.
Belgium also entered a nation-wide shutdown a few hours ago.
In Austria, the rules are not as strict as in the others countries, but it seems to work as well and people follow the instructions.

In Germany, schools and most public institutions are closed but people still meet in large groups outside and spend their time drinking coffee, eating ice cream, run to the few stores that are still open, or just chill in the park with their families and friends. They think it's an extended holiday. Meanwhile, the number of confirmed infections doubles every day and we have more active cases than South Korea now.
It's not just young people, but also a lot of elderly people – the ones who should be protected first and foremost – that can be seen on the streets.

Probably they will only change their minds when they or their close relatives are affected.
So far the death rate is quite low here (26 confirmed deaths), but that could change quickly.

In Belgium, there are now several critical cases of younger people (30 to 50 years old) with no pre-existing illnesses.