Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

The man is a stupid, hypocritical, corrupt bum. Pure and simple. 

Pretty much the only he was reelected was because he's a Democrat and NYC is a Democrat city, not because people actually liked him. That election was reported to have one of the lowest voter turnouts in NYC history.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's not like you have until 8pm to go and enjoy your life. The danger is already there even before 8pm. Everyone should stay at home, everywhere in the world. Because we are all on the same boat.

Better late than never!

If the people won't listen, the government should enlist the Army.

SARS was not as infectious as the new coronavirus. Hence it was pretty much restricted to some world areas.

• Members

If that happens in many parts of America, there are a lot of people who have their guns ready. That's why gun sales are skyrocketing yet again. The irony is that the big cities and their strict anti-gun laws are helping save Trump from this becoming even more of a catastrophe.

• Members

As I have gleaned from what I've read SARS and MERS were/are more deadly than COVID-19 but COVID-19 is more contagious than either of those diseases.

This Op-Ed has a bleak lede (I'm still in the midst of reading, so the content may prove even bleaker) but I suspect this pandemic is not only showing up all the deficiencies apparent in our socio-economic systems but it also has shown that on a global scale, governments, and to a certain extent people (who run corporations especially) have been prioritizing the absolute wrong things-i.e. profit over people, and this, coupled with the pandemic will be the undoing of our respective economies.

It's not just about the lack of a social safety net, it is about placing more value over corporations than people. I've said for years now that not every business should be in operation and people often regard what I say as though I am saying something deeply offensive. What I've always meant is that if you have a business and you claim you can't afford to pay your employees a salary that is regarded as a living wage and cannot give them proper benefits, then you ought not to be in business.  When the worst of the global financial crisis/recession happened as a result of the mortgage/loan crisis, many people wagged their fingers at many people who had lost their homes and said "well, if those people bought too much house and couldn't afford it, then they deserved to lose it!" Nevermind the aspect of mortgage companies and banks committing outright fraud with "liars loans", changing information on loan applications without knowledge or consent of the prospective homeowner and just approving loans for risky mortgages knowing full-well that they shouldn't have. Well, now I'm reading about "zombie companies" and "zombie corporations" that are existing on debt alone and will have to shut down, leaving employees (much of whom were already living hand to mouth) without any prospects. Why does America allow this kind of malfeasance in corporations and business but punishes it in an instant with people, (most of whom were not 'flippers') who wanted a house to live in?

Now we see municipal governments scrambling to provide housing for homeless populations because the homeless, clustered together in areas (e.g. Skid Row), it is feared, will spread the coronavirus even deeper into the population.  How and why was it acceptable to have large homeless populations in the first place? If these municipal governments are actually putting in place directives to place the homeless in unused buildings and hotels, does that mean that these populations could have been housed all along and the only difference is that there now exists a will to do it?

Anyway, here's the link to the Op-Ed

This Is How the Coronavirus Will Destroy the Economy

Another thing I wonder is, why is it that cleaners and custodians get the worst pay when they obviously have some of the most important jobs? These jobs are also on the front lines and employees should be well trained, well paid and well protected by they are not? Could we have stanched the spread if our countries, businesses, institutions had more regard for cleanliness and the people employed to clean our facilities and public spaces?