Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My father just had a health scare from November to about February. He’s a very vital, active man in major academic circles, only semi retired but he’s in his late 70s. A heart valve issue left him prone to infection. Infection there killed his mother and sister. Over the holidays we worried ceaselessly over a strange illness which lingered and kept him uncharacteristically fatigued with chest pains. Ultimately, it seemed to have finally run its course and after copious tests proved to be nothing too serious after all. Now this. I’ve had to convince him and my stepmom to stop going to choir practice, or delivering meals on wheels to more infirm seniors. I’m worried all over again. My mother at least stopped going to her league of women’s voters meetings which she chairs, or going dancing with my stepfather. I am blessed with very healthy parents, but while they never denied the disease's seriousness they are only beginning to now realize the scope of the risks to themselves, not just other old folks.

Edited by Vee

• Members

My mother has a heart condition and has an already scheduled appointment tomorrow. I'm nervous about her going, especially since she already has a cough due partly to the condition, but then if the appointment is changed weeks or months things may be even worse with regard to the virus by then. 

• Members

Today officially starts my four weeks of being out of work since the governor issued a proclamation closing all K-12 Louisiana schools until April 13. Part of me is very silently thankful because I'd been drowning in work for over a week and saw no light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm mostly just sad and confused for our kids, especially my seniors. They're coping the best way they can (which, for them, means making memes and TikToks), but they're worried about how/if/when they will graduate, what will their senior prom look like, the essential ending of the spring sports season before it even really began, etc. I know these are trifles in the grand scheme of things, but they've worked hard for years, and now that special season of culmination that everyone gets in exchange for that hard work is not happening because they're living in what feels like a bad sci-fi movie. Please keep all of them in your thoughts.

• Members

It doesn't surprise me to know there are people in this country (and others) who still refuse to take this [!@#$%^&*] seriously.  (Hell, I live with one of those people.)

This is so not "just like the flu."  It is far, far worse.  And, I'm afraid, more of us will have to die before the rest get it through their thick-ass skulls.

I totally see where you're coming from, @Wendy.

You know, forget about Joe Biden (or Bernie Sanders) spending all their time and capital cleaning up the Trump administration's pre-coronavirus messes.  If either guy ends up winning the election, he'll spend the entire four years (and maybe more) undoing the damage this outbreak has done to our economy as well as health and medical infrastructures.  (Climate change?  Reproductive rights?  Immigration reforms?  Voting rights?  Persistent racial, ethnic and economic inequalities?  Sorry, Charlie!)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Mr. Mayor needs to take his @ss home, he can workout at Gracie Mansion. I'm sure there's plenty of room there because it's well...a mansion.

Please register in order to view this content

As for whether people will forget this and go on about their business by summer or the election, we're most assuredly heading toward a recession (which, with disastrous trade deals, we were likely heading there anyway) so I doubt the damage from this pandemic will be over anytime soon. It will be rooted in many people's minds months from now, which hopefully by then the actual disease will have been subdued by then.

• Members

Mama Khan is in her seventies and suffers from a variety of chronic ailments, including type 2 diabetes and asthma.  So, of course, I'm nervous as hell for her.  She's a Trump sympathizer, if not a Trump supporter; and I can't get her to stop watching Fox News and Youtube if our...well, actually, our lives DO depend on it, at the moment.  Nevertheless, she's still my mother, and I still love her, and I'm still doing what I can in terms of social distancing to keep her from becoming infected.  (Fortunately, we both tend to stay home much of the time -- Mama Khan has always been nervous about crowds -- and I'm a Gen-X'er; ergo, I'm used to spending most of my days isolated and indoors, lol.)

I never thought I'd say this, but...I am so glad Papa Khan (who was himself diabetic) is not alive for this.