Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not sure I believe China's totals. 

Florida always ends up supporting this type of Republican, sadly. 

I think if not for even the likes of Morning Joe excoriating him, he wouldn't have done this (and even now he's not closing until Monday). It's all about the money pouring in from college students.

• Members

Of course, Evangeline Lilly's within her rights NOT to self-quarantine.  However, what she (and others) fail to understand is that the rest of the nation (and the world) is on lockdown, not necessarily out of a need to protect our own, healthy selves, but in order to protect those who are most vulnerable to the virus (namely, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems), and to give our health care industry a chance to get this [!@#$%^&*] under control without adding more patients to their already heavy workloads.

Now, maybe we are overdoing it a tad with all the hoarding and doomsday prophecies.  But, is it really a strain on our freedoms to practice a little more social distancing (avoiding large gatherings, staying closer to home, ordering more takeout and delivery or just cooking your own meals, etc.) until we have flattened that so-called curve?  I mean, God forbid people actually have to stay at home and spend time with their own families for awhile, right!?

Also, I'm reminded again why I quit watching "Lost" after David Fury left. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

What annoys me the most is people who go around and spread the virus, have their children spread the virus, etc. try to act so noble about it. There was an article a few days ago about selfishness in the US, refusing to isolate and how it is passed off as patriotism. 

At least this led to some good gossip:

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Well, it's because of our political history (of course WW2 and also the supression of the people in the Former German Democratic Republic). The government doesn't want to act like a dictatorship, and banning people from going outside clashes with the nation's mantra "Unity and Justice and Freedom". People are very sensitive when it comes to personal rights.

However, like in the US, each of the federal states – and on a smaller scale, local authorities – can make their own decisions regarding shutdowns etc. That's why Berlin (the largest city and also a federal state on its own) and Cologne (4th largest city) were among the first ones to go into emergency mode.

Last night, Angela Merkel held a televised state of the union address for the first time during her period of government to remind everyone to minimize social contacts and stay at home.

The states North Rhine-Westphalia, Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria have the most infections. On Tuesday, the first municipality in Bavaria announced that one city has become a "red zone" until April 2nd. Residents there are no longer allowed to leave their houses except for work and for grocery shopping. The area has already been extended to several other towns. An hour ago, the city of Freiburg in the state of Baden-Württemberg announced a complete lockdown, starting on Saturday.

I guess more states and counties – or even the whole country – will follow soon. The president of Bavaria already threatened to impose a lockdown on the entire state of Bavaria, while several virologists warned of the outcome of such drastic measures.

• Members

Exactly.  As if likely infecting others with a respiratory illness that's been known to kill across all age groups is somehow "stickin' it to the man."

Look, I'm always down for some civil disobedience.  But, how can I do that when I'm too damn ill to lift my head off the pillow?  And how I could even live with myself, knowing that I might have spread such a virus to others, even if I, myself, might experience only mild (or even no) symptoms? 

There's a time to resist fascism, and then there's a time to gaf about others' well-being.  Pick. Your. Battles.

(Not directing that last statement toward you, @DRW50.)

Edited by Khan