Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Your welcome.

Please register in order to view this content

At this point, I am hoping that these pharmaceutical companies that have already developed vaccine will update their mRNA technology so that they can catch this and future variants. According to what I have read, for Pfizer, that would be about 2 months away and Moderna about three months. They may not have had this in mind last year when they developed these vaccines but this virus is still here mutating. Fortunately, the mRNA technology can be adapted with a fairly efficient turnaround time, so I have read.

Good to hear.

• Members

From what I've read in regards to mutations, usually viruses will mutate to become less severe and more contagious.

If the milder cases in South Africa were generally younger and unvaccinated, then maybe Omicron is proving that theory true in this case.

And the 1st generation vaccines were more about preventing severe symptoms, hospitalizations, and death then it was preventing it from infecting you.

I think down the line this will be a annual covid shot..much like the flu shot is annual.  The flu pandemic took up to 3 years before it became endemic...so I suspect covid will eventually be like that as well someday.

Also, I've has covid plus the vaccine...so I'm feeling more secure then most.

• Members

My 89 year-old mom and I got our Moderna boosters a couple of days ago. I have similar mild side effects as last time, some arm soreness, slight swelling and warm in the upper arm. My sister in FL (who also got the booster) is trying to decide whether or not to fly here to NYC for Christmas. Even though she bought her ticket, she's kind of playing wait-and-see with the Omicron news the next few weeks.