Days: February 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

Bill Hayes' tribute was lovely.  Bill Horton's death was not.  As a way to tie into Hayes' anniversary and a means to write out JJ (and Abby?), it was totally unnecessary.  If they were going to continue to inexplicably not use him, then just leave him off canvas.  Without Laura, Mike, and Lucas (and Kate and Maggie, who are ON THE DAMN SHOW lol), this was a disappointing close for one of this show's biggest tent pole characters.  (Even Kayla recently worked with him... Bill was not a ridiculously forgotten character hella removed from the current canvas.)

Bill's branch of the Horton family was the messiest and there was still a lot of angst to be mined.  One of the dumbest things this show did was fully integrate Lucas into the Horton family, as it provided their WASP asses with some very real, complicated conflict.  And they never knew whether Mike and Jenn hated Bill (and Lucas) or not... whitewashing all this is bad from a dramatic perspective.

And I'm surprised RC doesn't want to use Bill & Laura for semi-regular visits, as they have high history and camp value with Kate.  (I remember Dena Higley being fond of Laura vs. Kate.)

As for the wedding--I loved it lol.  Too bad more characters weren't there.  I surprisingly felt bad for Gabi, which I credit the TJ for... we saw how much love and success she accumulated over the missing year, so I could appreciate all she lost.  And despite their efforts (sincere or not), from a soap pov, I get why she and Julie will never not hate each other.  I also appreciated her telling TRUTHS  at the police department about Abby and Lani and how because they're heroines, they get away with everything.  Gabi is so interesting, in part, because the writing has been so bad the whole time she's been on... she gets a TON of focus and the other characters constantly forgive or overlook her "sins," but she ultimately always loses.  As a concept, Gabi is a conundrum.  And I feel like Stefan's memory is getting the Ben treatment.  Oiy.  Lol.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know, I'm okay with Bill Horton being dead?  Of course, I believe Ron Carlivati should have done a much better job handling the actual news.  However, with Ed Mallory having long since passed away, I think it's only right for Bill to have passed away as well.

Now, about Bill's brother, Tommy....

• Members

Omg Tommy lol.  Did they mention he died in 2010?  He feels like he was retconned out of the show.

Bill dying is fine I guess, but if you're gonna bother to do it, it should have impact, because of how relevant he still is through multiple connections.  I really enjoyed MC as Marie in 2010, but that's a character who has drifted really, really far away from current "Days"... even with Nick (who was random back in '06).  Having Maggie and Julie mention her dying and playing two flashbacks... I'd think that was perfectly fine.  It just feels like a waste to kill Bill this way.  But considering how RC blundered Caroline's funeral... oh man.  And I know he has his haters and he (and FV) did drive me away from GH (not even mother f'n Guza & JFP did that), but I know Ron Carlivati has it in him for these events--Asa's death/funeral (I forget what milestone that was for OLTL) was some of the best written (and produced) soap I've seen.

• Members

I would, too.  But it still doesn't change the made up stories--so weird when they had SO much real stuff to work with.  And even though it was a family thing, they ought to have included more characters... not just for Caroline, but for more of Peggy McCay's colleagues to be there to pay tribute to her life.  It was disappointing.  And I think Patsy Pease was out of their hands, but I wonder what the coversation was re. Billy Warlock and Darrin Brooks?

Back to current "Days"... how crazy is it that "Gina" and Jenn's meeting happened off screen?!?  That should have been one of the BIG moments of the story, considering it was the event to basically kick off and frame the TJ.  This is a production issue, and if this kind of stuff can't be worked out, the show can never truly improve.  If the schedule can't accommodate this, it is broken.

Chandler Smirky was embarrassingly BAD in his scenes today with the great Suzanne Rogers and John Aniston. He smirked throughout it. To those who say Chandler is just bored with Freddie, bullcrap. Chandler is checked out as an actor. He had scenes with 2 greats, and he still smirked and didn’t show up. No wonder he got fired. Go study chinese. 

• Members

Hoping that Ciara gets chewed out a lot more by a lot of other people for not being there for Hope. 

Also, does Will know how to get angry. If I was him, I would have ripped Victor to shreds. I think JA did good in that scene though. It was surprising to see Victor over a barrel, pleading with someone.

And as for the DA character, they could've just used Melinda Trask. Did Ron create him just to name him after his Twitter buddy lol

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Getting caught up on the show now. Always fun to see Gabi get taken down. I actually like the character as the young villainess on canvas.

I will never not be shocked that Bill Hayes is freaking 94 years old and is still so sharp and vibrant. Loved the flashbacks. Crazy DAYS has this treasure trove of classic footage that we barely ever see and that is just sitting in a vault.