Y&R June 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I’m enjoying the show right now. Problems remain, but overall it’s much improved.

i do wonder what people want to see on the show. I read about what’s not working, what’s expected and boring, etc., but I don’t see anything here on what we should see instead except for saving Dina.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

i would like to see the focus on the next generation of characters rather than the reliance on  using the vets over and over.

eg Victor's disease carries no emotional weight as the man has been through epilepsy, a heart transplant, been shot etc with no long term consequences.

Bringing back Adam to once again play the same stories and returning Kevin, Chloe and Chelsea is not moving the show forward. They are all damaged characters who should be in jail, not floating around town.

As much as I like Dina the idea of reversing her illness doesn't work for me. Enough of the far fetched stories.

Of the present cast I'd send Cane off to reunite his family. That would free up $$ for new cast members.

Get Jess Walton back as much as possible and bring back Chance as a new leading man cop or PI  Maybe a recast Tucker to interact with Devon.

The veteran characters are not going anywhere so the challenge is what to do with them that doesn't retread what they've already done.

Have plenty of ideas and would love to read and discuss others suggestions.

• Members

Same.  It's just like what's happening right now over at DAYS, with Will's brain tumor.  Why should we care about Victor's health, when we KNOW EB ain't going anywhere anytime soon?  He's clearly not gonna die.  Ergo, the suspense is nonexistent.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I said it a while back regarding a scene with Victor, Abby, and Nikki when Neil died. Abby mentioned that she feared losing Victor, but it was never brought up that Victor (at the hands of JT) and Nikki (after being run down by Reed) had both been near death in the past year. Medical crises are used as momentary plot contrivances for stakes until they’re not (Dina’s Alzheimer’s). Most fans are able to suspend disbelief. I’m not one of them, for better or for worse. It’s repetitive and boring to me.

• Members

I'm right there with you. It's boring and repetitive to me as well. We all know unless an actor is leaving the character ain't dying, and even if they did, unless the actor is no longer with us, there's always a chance they stroll back into town. You summed it perfectly why I can't stand medical crises on soaps anymore. It has no weight.

• Members

I actually don't mind Victor's illness storyline. I hated Nikki's MS, but I think a story like this works for Victor because of Neil's recent passing and because he is so strong and powerful. Plus with his age it's realistic. Compared to how evil they always write Victor it's a welcome relief to see something different for a change. I'd much rather the family rally around his health than Adam. In general I'm still enjoying the show, but my god this Adam stuff is honestly worse than I could've imagined. AMAZING actor, but damn can he get a day off? As expected he has taken over the show. I still am wanting other storylines to be fleshed out more. Abby/Nate have potential, so do Traci/Cane, I enjoy Lauren with Jack and of course Elena/Devon could use a touch more focus. If they just took two days a week from Adam it would give those other stories (and others like something for Ana, Mariah and Tessa) a chance to develop as well. 

• Members

It's been a problem for a long time.  There's no Young in the Young and the Restless.  The same things people (never watched that show) - used to say for years about "Loving".  There's no Loving on Loving.  Everyone on Y&R is Restless - there is pretty much no Young.  

• Members

But they do have the young, they just don’t write for it. Charlie, Mattie and Reed all had potential. As do Mariah and Ana (not as a couple) but none have story. Summer/Kyle/Lola have potential as well but the writing has gotten so bland for them. 

• Members

Yeah, the heavy focus on Adam and also the show constantly featuring Kyle and Lola is taking away from the development for potential couples/other storylines. Traci/Cane and Nate/Abby aren't getting hardly any sort of any development. Nate asked Abby out a couple of times, they went on a friendship type of date, and we really haven't seen much of them since. I have a feeling they may end up moving Nate towards Elena and we may get a Nate/Elena/Devon triangle (maybe a quad with Abby). I wonder if they may actually just drop Abby/Nate. Cane and Traci aren't really getting a bunch of screen time together either. And I'm seeing people say they are boring, but they really aren't being given much to do. Elena has barely been shown recently and Ana doesn't have much of a storyline.

This show needs to stop featuring Adam and Kyle/Lola so much. MG is very talented as Adam and he is enjoyable to watch but the character is on too much. And I think that Kyle/Lola are just a big old toxic, boring snooze fest. Them constantly doing boring stuff like paint a wall is not interesting. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

How do you define young? If it's under 50, it has been mostly young so far.

Episode counts through May.

1. Michael Mealor (Kyle Abbott) : 67

*. Joshua Morrow (Nick Newman) : 67

3. Sharon Case (Sharon Newman) : 66

4. Amelia Heinle (Victoria Newman) : 64

*. Jordi Vilasuso (Rey Rosales) : 64

6. Jason Thompson (Billy Abbott) : 60

7. Peter Bergman (Jack Abbott) : 55

8. Melody Thomas-Scott (Nikki Newman) : 54

*. Gina Tognoni (Phyllis Summers) : 54

10. Sasha Calle (Lola Rosales) : 52

Only Jack & Nikki in the top 10. 

*. Melissa Ordway (Abby Newman) : 52

12. Hunter King (Summer Newman Abbott) : 48

13. Noemi Gonzalez (Mia Rosales) : 45

14. Eric Braeden (Victor Newman) : 43

*. Camryn Grimes (Mariah Copeland) : 43

16. Jason Canela (Arturo Rosales) : 42

17. Bryton James (Devon Hamilton) : 34

18. Cait Fairbanks (Tessa Porter) : 31

*. Daniel Goddard (Cane Ashby) : 31

*. Loren Lott (Ana Hamilton) : 31

And only Victor in the next 10. Only 3 over 50s in the top 20 seems young to me. Do you want to get rid of all the 40 year olds?

How many would watch if all the Y&R stories were crafted around Kyle, Rey, Adam, Lola, Abby, Summer, Mariah, Devon, Tessa, Ana, Elena, Nate, Charlie, Mattie, Reed and Fenmore? I wouldn't.

Edited by cattykittens

• Members

They have young people, they just write horribly for them or invest in the wrong ones. Hunter King is not untalented but she can't handle the bulk of bad story. The new Kyle is good but again, it's bad story. Mariah and Ana are wasted. And yes, since they already SORASed Cane and Lily's twins they might as well use them, and Reed - but they don't, and it's a waste, especially Reed. Same story with Fen.

• Members

You just picked the age of 50 as - if it's under 50 - then everyone is young.  Hey, I'm 49.  I don't consider myself young.  This has been - more often than not - over the past 10 years the Victor and Jack show.  Throw in some Nikki and their kids.  I was a huge GL and ATWT fan - and loved the older actors on those shows.  But for whatever reason - Jack, Victor, and Nikki -  have run their course in a way that Bob, Kim, Susan, Emma, Reva, Alan, Ed, Barbara, Nancy, Bert, Chris, and add to the list - never did to me.  The Restless on The Y&R are truly Restless.  And 50 for the age threshold ain't young.  This show has done nothing to bring on younger talent.  

And I'll say this as well - I have a really bad taste over Gina Tognoni.  I started watching regularly because of her and the more I read, the less I like.  I really didn't watch in the years of Phyllis #1 - was transitioning from college to life, move to DC, out of DC, buying a house, etc.  But I liked her as Dinah so I started watching regularly when I heard she would be Phyllis.  Now from what I'm reading - the strategy is to throw familiar faces at the audience that is waning - and I'm not interested in that.  I may actually pick up GH even though I've never watched the show - because I heard Cynthia Watros got her role over there.  No offense to Stafford, but GH just got a major upgrade.  I'm going to check it out.  

• Members

Watros is inheriting a terrible character with awful writing. If anyone could flip Nina at GH into someone decent it's her - and it's been done before in soaps with dud characters (albeit rarely one that's already been around six years) - but the writing is a debacle, so it feels doomed though she's an exciting hire. I'll watch clips of her but I wish she had a new role.