Best/Worst Soap Wedding Dresses, Hats, Headpieces and Veils

• Members

In honor of this week's Oscars and the inevitable posts about best and worst dressed, I thought I would post a few of my best and worst soap wedding dresses of all time.

BEST: no particular order:

Sloan Denning (Capitol) - so chic, good use of a headpiece, the dress was appropriate for such a big wedding and I think it holds up to the test of time

Please register in order to view this content

Kelly Capwell (Santa Barbara) - I love the nod to vintage fashion, this wasn't Kelly's first wedding so she kept it simple when marrying her fiance's evil twin 

WORST 

Hope Brady's multi-tiered veil seemed like it was used to make her the same height as Bo - I recall that the actress wore it again to her own wedding, (maybe it was still stuck to her head?).

Nikki Newman's 80 lbs gown was a little over the top for a woman on her third wedding

And finally, the worst of all time Eden Capwell's Pebble Beach Victorian Wedding - not the right dress for the occasion, setting, time, or place - it is so horrible that even the awful bridesmaid's dresses were not as gouache

Please respond with pictures of your favorite and least favorite ensemble 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A couple more of my favorites

Felicia (GH) - I love the traditional veil, she looks gorgeous

Anna Devane (GH) - I like when a dress matches the character and this looks like something Anna would wear at the time.  She was a professional, who had started to embrace feminity with Robert, so it seemed like something she would buy

WORST

On the other hand, I do not believe that chic Barbara Ryan would wear a figure skating outfit to her wedding to Hal

And Kim's headpiece defies explanation - how did she hear her vows?

• Members

If we are talking headpieces then Calliope's really takes the proverbial cake, she seems to be satirizing Hope's global headgear

Then we got Amanda Cory's convertible headpiece; one for the ceremony and one for if you wanted to go jogging later

Nina Courtland's hats got better every time she remarried

• Members

IIRC, Calliope (who wore a wedding dress that lit up, y'all) rigged her headpiece to release doves when she and Eugene were pronounced scientist and wife.

IDK if it qualifies as "best" or "worst," but Lucy Coe's red (!) dress at her and Alan Quartermaine's wedding on GH certainly was among the most memorable, lol.

• Members

GH's Brenda Barrett has had a couple of time to do it correctly

The first time was pretty, but generic and didn't fit her daily styleth?id=OIP.vu7B715OpUxxvzAGHuXvmgHaJQ&w=1

I don't know the order of this one (#2 or #3) but it is my favorite

th?id=OIP.C5DhITo-XpEv1zsLIOfXlwHaK3&w=1

Then, there's this one which is just the worst, bad fit, bad hair, bad dress

• Members

I rather adored the sleek wedding gown Kate Collins wore when Natalie married Jeremy.

It was a high-fashion gown and not the usual tacky, puffed-out wedding dresses which were ubiquitous in the ‘80s.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

I, too, loved that picture of Carrington Garland/Kelly's '30s (?)-style gown for her wedding to Quinn. The wedding was a hot mess, but her gown and hair were perfect. The gloves were a nice touch. Eden's gown was considered a sort of princess ultra fantasy in the '80s, but with all the wire hoops, etc, it really did not stand the test of time.

Speaking of Kelly, while she was married twice before the picture above and with a different actress, the first for Joe was UGLY. And the second for her wedding to Jeffrey (which still seemed sort of eeewww to me since they shared a brother in Mason [I know, no blood between Kelly/Jeffrey!]), was way too frou-frou (but I think that was the show trying to use Robin Wright's new Princess Bride fame at the time).

I loved both pictures of Nina and Cliff above. The first wedding made sense for Nina the sheltered princess, but the Tavern on the Green black/white wedding at Christmastime was simply GORGEOUS.

Oddly, one dress I liked was for a soap I did not even watch, but since I read SOD, I became familiar with it: Brooke Logan's gown when she married that moron, Ridge, on the beach.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I have a whole article with photos of the dress somewhere (it's probably way back in the Doctors thread) but here's Althea's wedding dress, which I guess was down to the Lion in Winter being big around this time.

The Doctors, soap opera