Closeted (gay) actors formerly on the soaps

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Not sure where to pst this but this thread seemed appropriate.

Variety March 1969 reviewed the 'The Boys in the Band' for a second time, now that the original cast had moved on to LA and London productions.

Most of the roles were taken by soap performers, many who were gay IRL

Michael Lipton

Konrad Matthei

David O'Brien

Matthew Tobin

Leon Russom

Christopher Bernau

Ted LePlat

Harold Scott and David Daniels were other castmembers.

Interesting that so many closeted actors would take on gay roles on stage.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know how Leon Russom identifies his sexuality, but he was married to Karen Grassle (Ma on Little House on the Prairie) for many years, and there are easily google-able stories about him marrying a second time to a woman who is the "love of his life."

Edited by j swift

• Members

Who do we know? I'm really so unaware when it comes to these things.

Also, I looked up Chris Bernau's wiki (I've been watching a lot of 1981 GL) and saw that he died of AIDS related complications in the 80s. My first assumption was he may have been gay

Please register in order to view this content

I did see his name on the list up a few posts, so seems it's true. Do we know if he was out to cast or if he had any partners? 

• Members

It's my understanding that he was out to everyone at GL & to a wide gay community in either NY or where ever he hung his hat. It was also suggested to me that when people told a tale about how he got some exotic disease on his travels & that's what he died of, that he would not have wanted people to make that up. 

• Members

Every time we come back to this discussion, there's always a lot more speculation about men than women.  Sure, the usual actresses are mentioned, but it is a small percentage compared to the men that are discussed.  Obviously, some of that is because this topic is dominated by male posters. 

However, practically, I wonder if it was "easier" for women in the 1970s and 1980s to stay closeted?  I would hypothesize that unmarried women were considered more common because it was easy to imagine that a lead actress wouldn't have the time for a husband and children.  I mean, one never reads a profile of Joanna Johnson or Maureen Garrett where they asked about dating. 

Just food for thought...

Edited by j swift