Jump to content


depboy

GH: November 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, All My Shadows said:

They made it available on demand after all. Y’all know I don’t do GH, but I’m watching out of curiosity and because it’s nice to watch an older soap episode with good picture quality.

 

I wonder if the current PTB watched this and noticed how the Thanksgiving episode opened with families featuring longtime characters played by longtime performers preparing for the holiday. How do you screw something like that, I do not know, but soap writers/producers have been doing it for years.

 

Lawd, they plastered that horrendous “opening sequence” onto this episode as if Dave Koz playing the saxophone is politically incorrect eighteen years later.

That episode shows how much the show needs to do some massive improvements

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the Escape Room stuff.  It's something different. I liked that they used so many characters. I just don't care about most of them.  With a better set of characters. This could've been chessy fun to watch. GH even references their menagerie of killer's histories. It would've been awesome if Ryan had killed most of them.  

Edited by victoria foxton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, All My Shadows said:

They made it available on demand after all. Y’all know I don’t do GH, but I’m watching out of curiosity and because it’s nice to watch an older soap episode with good picture quality.

 

I wonder if the current PTB watched this and noticed how the Thanksgiving episode opened with families featuring longtime characters played by longtime performers preparing for the holiday. How do you screw something like that, I do not know, but soap writers/producers have been doing it for years.

 

Lawd, they plastered that horrendous “opening sequence” onto this episode as if Dave Koz playing the saxophone is politically incorrect eighteen years later.

No kidding--how the f u c k do you screw up a holiday episode on a soap??  They write themselves.  And hey inserting the new GH opening gave them 45 extra seconds of commercial time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EricMontreal22 said:

No kidding--how the f u c k do you screw up a holiday episode on a soap??  They write themselves.

I also really used to love holiday episodes, and I especially liked the ones that had the sweetness and the joy and also had some melancholy or even scenes of people that were estranged.  Like real life, which is what soaps do best.  A mirror of real communities.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 12:19 AM, Chris B said:

I recently got Hulu and with Y&R being so bad and DAYS in a slump I decided to pick up GH and see if it's any better. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore GH fan, but I have been impressed enough to keep watching. I've watched on and off since 2001, but GH was never my main soap and it's been years since I watched regularly. I last watched towards the end of Carlivati when it went off the rails. 

 

Now I will say I started with the beginning of November and am halfway through right now. I haven't learned enough about the stories to decide what I like, so far nothing is really jumping at me, but I see enough familiar faces to keep me watching for now. Another thing, the production values IMO were excellent. I've always loved the new hospital set and I appreciate that so many people seem to have a place to live that isn't just a hotel suite. I think everything looks cohesive and the cast looks amazing. On Y&R everything looks so old and broke down so a new set always stands out, but here everything looked fresh. It's crazy that something as simple as the womens hair being brushed is a positive lol. The hair, makeup and wardrobe was really good in comparison to Y&R

 

For the people that know GH better, is there something in particular I should look out for that is a strong story? I was happy to see Laura has something going on. I also like the idea of what they're doing with Kevin and Ryan, but I don't think he's killed anybody important yet. The one big shock for me is that Nina is still trucking along. I never understood Stafford on GH. Do we like Franco now? Is he still a criminal? I liked what I saw with him and Elizabeth. I'm also happy her kids finally seem to be growing up. It seemed like they'd be young forever.

 

I like the hospital set, too, but it’s always so underpopulated it’s ridiculous. I don’t get what you mean about production values being excellent, because some of the sets look cardboard cheap to me, with blue tones used everywhere on the canvas.

 

The cast looks amazing? Uh...ok, if you say so. I don’t think the hair, makeup, and wardrobe is near as good as that on Y&R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

 

I like the hospital set, too, but it’s always so underpopulated it’s ridiculous. I don’t get what you mean about production values being excellent, because some of the sets look cardboard cheap to me, with blue tones used everywhere on the canvas.

 

The cast looks amazing? Uh...ok, if you say so. I don’t think the hair, makeup, and wardrobe is near as good as that on Y&R.

 

Y&R the clothes look so cheap or old. Nothing is properly fitted and the women’s hair is rarely even brushed. It’s eapecially apparent at group events. On GH from what I’ve seen everybody looks very polished and put together. And I stand by my opinion on the sets. They were spacious and we get a good variety of what they show at least from what I’ve seen so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, EricMontreal22 said:

No kidding--how the f u c k do you screw up a holiday episode on a soap??  They write themselves.  And hey inserting the new GH opening gave them 45 extra seconds of commercial time!

 

Not to defend GH, because it's awful, but I think the 2000 episode is longer than current episodes so they may have needed that time to fit it in?   I think they cut some scenes as well from the original airing to fit the current commercial times too, but I could be wrong.  My memory may be failing me but when they did those classic episodes/Brenda marathon they cut some scenes too because the episodes were just a few minutes longer back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carolineg said:

 

Not to defend GH, because it's awful, but I think the 2000 episode is longer than current episodes so they may have needed that time to fit it in?   I think they cut some scenes as well from the original airing to fit the current commercial times too, but I could be wrong.  My memory may be failing me but when they did those classic episodes/Brenda marathon they cut some scenes too because the episodes were just a few minutes longer back then.

I thought by 2000 we had already gotten the 39 mins or so of actual soap in an hour--but in the past 1 years they certainly could have given even more soap time.  I know that when SoapNet would have marathons they usually would cut at least a scene or two of their older (but we're talking 1980s or earlier) episodes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please tell me that Ryan kills Kiki. PLEASE. She needs to go (even though I'm sure Ava would get blamed for her death just like she gets blamed for everything). I have to say I'm enjoying everything happening with the Ryan story.

 

I really like Stella, I'm glad they've kept her around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chris B said:

 

Y&R the clothes look so cheap or old. Nothing is properly fitted and the women’s hair is rarely even brushed. It’s eapecially apparent at group events. On GH from what I’ve seen everybody looks very polished and put together. And I stand by my opinion on the sets. They were spacious and we get a good variety of what they show at least from what I’ve seen so far. 

 

Yeah, Maxie is a style maven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AlexElizabeth said:

Please tell me that Ryan kills Kiki. PLEASE. She needs to go (even though I'm sure Ava would get blamed for her death just like she gets blamed for everything). I have to say I'm enjoying everything happening with the Ryan story.

 

I really like Stella, I'm glad they've kept her around.

 

So many more should go long before Kiki!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

 

So many more should go long before Kiki!

She's a good start, Ninny should be next, she just threatened Ava. Same with fake daughter. But they have to keep Big Red to reunite with Willow, her obvious real daughter they are forcing on us. Whoever at ABC thinks that Nina is a viable character obviously doesn't actually watch the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AlexElizabeth said:

Please tell me that Ryan kills Kiki. PLEASE. She needs to go (even though I'm sure Ava would get blamed for her death just like she gets blamed for everything). I have to say I'm enjoying everything happening with the Ryan story.

 

I really like Stella, I'm glad they've kept her around.

Watch yesterday and today and you'll have your answer ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...