Major Y&R actress out!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bring in a foster child for her. Or some other family. Maybe recast Steve with a stepchild for her. Keep Kyle around, even if he's pointless. I'd hate to lose her but I really think it's goodbye time for Jack and Billy.

• Members

Eileen seems very no nonsense, hopefully has invested her money well and might not be too happy with the writing for Ashley... 

the Ravi 'romance' followed by the Mal Young stories.

Took one look at the contract and cleaned out her dressing room.

Who might be next?

• Members

Billy, I agree with. JTs Billy has largely felt like a failed character to me. And by that I mean not really invoking strong opinions in viewers. I always got the impression that fans could take or leave him much like MOs Abby.  Just apathetic towards him. 

The foster child angle isn't a bad idea. I've always thought she'd be a nice  anchor for a new teen instead of sorasing others too soon. 

• Members

Totally, totally shocked. They have a 'no raises' policy but couldn't make an exception for the multi-Emmy winner who did a two-year stint on demo-friendly RHOBH and promoted Y&R throughout that time?

This situation is more than just Mal. In fact, I'm betting that Mal had little to do with this. This is Sony or CBS's doing, whichever entity is micromanaging the show like a cut-rate Sears. And that's the crux of the problem. They could resurrect William J Bell himself, and he'd still be out in 6 months given the crazy amount of interference. Neither entities know or care to know about Y&R other than what ad revenue it is bringing in. And it shows. The show is a lazy mess with no direction!

IA with your view re: MTS/EB, I'm not that into Nikki/Victor but they are the tentpoles, and nobody else can carry the show like they can. Not PB, not JM, not AH, not SC, no-one on the canvas that I can see, especially with ED and MM now already out the door. ED was on a par with them!

B&B has its own deep problems and is unwatchable, so I'm not sure I want Ashley back on there, although she did light up the place once before. If ED is not going back to Days (and it sounds like ED quit on her contract to both Sony soaps, not just Y&R), I am wondering if it's because Bravo wants her back. 

• Members

The soap resurgence of about 4 years ago is over.  All of them have hit record lows, and I get the budget has taken a hit.  But these shows need to keep the talent that matters.

Mal wrote this Jack is not an Abbott story, and it hinges on Abbotts being there.  They are already telling a story that touches on several dead characters- Kay, Phillip, and John.  Now his only on contract sister is gone?  Nope.  Done.

• Members

It's funny... Eileen has the attachment to Y & R (and I understand it because she was in her early 20s when she joined).. but Days has always valued her more.  The problem is that Days working schedule is brutal while Y & R has a more flexible work schedule.  

I think Ron C would probably love writing for her at Days... she is game at playing anything.  

• Members

I was just thinking the same thing. Four years ago, there seemed to be the beginnings of a slowwwww dawning of realisation that targeting young newbie demos was no longer the way to go. Instead, pandering to existing, ageing viewers (um, that would be me, lol) was a better way to stem the haemorrhaging numbers. 

Now they seem to have switched to Let's Just Keep It Afloat on an Austerity Budget mode. 

I have to wonder if the Abbotts are going to be phased out completely at the behest of 'budget cuts.' Which is a shame because as much as I bitch about Jack, the Abbotts are one of two tentpole families on this show. I mean, Kyle? Abby? Aren't they the future? Traci giving heart and soul to everything? Eileen being a damn glamazon powerhouse?

• Members

He is. My friend who works on one of the CBS soaps heard it from PB's mouth himself. He hates the Phillip/John retcon. Hates it. 

In my opinion, Mal Young has done as much damage to Y&R as LML, JFP, and Chuck Pratt combined and I hated ALL of their reigns of terror on the show. He needs to be fired - immediately.

• Members

I think in this day and age of soaps, I don't know if "bad storyline" is what is going to push someone out the door. Sure, it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back (or a sign that now's the right time to go), but I think it would have to do more with wanting to retire, wanting a change in life, etc. There aren't 10 other soaps to hop to where the grass is greener, the paychecks are larger, and the stories are fresh. You stick around with what's available, collect those checks, save up, and then retire and travel. 

Hell, at some point Eric Braeden WILL retire. He has too much pride to be shown on television in a wheelchair a la Anna Lee. 

Archived