Y&R actress out

• Members

MM is such a great actress. I wish her all the best, she can go far if the right role comes along for her. She has major star quality about her.

This is going to backfire so bad on Y&R/Sony/MalYoung. I do like the potential Mariah/Devon had, but it's not a long term type of pairing and Abby/Devon? HELL THE F*CKING NO 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm disappointed that she's leaving. I have no doubt, she will get auditions for a weekly series on network, cable or streaming - so many options - and MM has star presence. 

The truth is we don't know what she asked for - it may have been unreasonable - it's happened before with other actors - and we have to remember, this is a business and shows have to make money to stay on.

It stinks because MM is really the only reason I'll pay attention if I have it on, which has become rare now. I guess I can scratch Y&R completely. 

• Members

If people are going to talk about cementing Devon with a female more rooted in the historical canvas - a topic I find mercenary, irrelevant and in poor taste to the original subject which is Mishael Morgan - Camryn Grimes/Mariah was and is the superior option AFAIC. She's five times the actress and presence of Ordway, but the fact is a lot of the audience didn't like Devon and Mariah so while I personally may have been all for a triangle or quad with Hillary, Devon, Mariah and another male, in practice it failed. We saw how most of this forum reacted to them as well.

Abby is a superficial character played by a merely passable actress who's spent most of her time in B and C stories because every successive regime eventually reluctantly accepts Ordway's level and lets her slide back into her only viable place (as opposed to recasting and rethinking the role, probably because CBS likes her) - support. All pairing Devon with Abby would guarantee is even less airtime and story for Bryton James.

Which brings us back to the original topic. I think Hillary and Devon wasn't only a successful pairing for Bryton James, it was legitimately an interesting one that had sparks. I do think it considerably elevated him as a performer and Devon as a character even when the stories were lame. And I think Morgan and Hillary were probably the only successful completely new female addition Y&R has had in many years. (Grimes doesn't count) It was a perfect storm for both characters and it is the single best shot at making Devon viable as a lead as things stand. It's a pairing people root for, and Hillary is a magnetic character who people want to watch.

• Members

Hevon/Hilary fans are bringing the fight to CBS and Sony. I'm curious to see if they're successful. 

I doubt Devon is paired with Mariah again or Abby. I think they'll recast Hilary before they do any of that. 

• Members

Devon will go back to 10 eppies/year and they will bring Tatiana Ali back like this was a legit couple.  The writing has failed Bryton again and again, even when MM came on, so I'm lost at why anyone thinks she made Devon's character better/palatable.  She just elevated his airtime, but neither character ever got justice in the writing department.  

They spend 70% of the time and energy on dry ass Amelia and trying to find someone/anyone that has chemistry with her because they are determined to keep her front and center.  

7% on Phyllis

5% on Sharon - is she crazy or not.  What man will complete her.  Which cause is hers today?

The remaining 18% on Newman/Abbott stuff.  

• Members

Bryton (IMO) had wonderful chemistry with Marcy Rylan and Elizabeth Hendrickson that I felt like many other people noticed, and the writers at the time didn’t want to go there for whatever reason. I don’t see that same chemistry with Ordway. I certainly didn’t see it with Camryn. I’m just unwilling to say that Bryton’s the issue until they throw a thousand relationships at him like they did with Kevin, Noah, and even Nick.

I also thought he seemed credible as an adult businessman in Neil’s absence. Like Bryan Dattilo over on DAYS, he reads as the nerdy guy, but they both bulked up admirably and look great. 

• Members

Spot on.  

Abby needs to be recast if TPTB are going to continue writing for the character. 

Most of what Hilary is, is due to MiM.  A recast would not work, simply because her replacement may not be able to elevate the writing.  As has been said many times in the Y&R thread, the writing for Hils has (mostly) been atrocious.  Hilary could be transformative, legacy character and that doesn't happen often.  If Sony is too blind to see that and thinks they can cover up her loss by writing Summer as a b!tch, they are sorely mistaken.

• Members

Also thought Bryton sparkled with Emme Ryland. I thought the show was finally ready to take him off the sidelines instead of pairing every young woman with MG/Daniel. But alas, no. She went on ML and when she came back it's like the show forgot they were building them. 

bryton and EH had something, too.  When Devon gave a reward for Delia's killer, I remember taking notice of their scenes and looks across the room. I felt something. But nothing came of that either. 

• Members

Emme is considerably better than Ordway but still never had much substance or stature on the show. Same problem, AFAIC. It's partly the actresses and partly the entire concept of Abby as a character.

Hendrickson can be great with good material but Chloe has been a failed and done character for many years.

Archived