Y&R actress out

• Members

I think sometimes he's credible there. I think pairing him with MM made him considerably more credible on a lot of levels. Devon and an Abby sounds to me like kids playing around - on the backburner.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trust me, they won't work that hard.  This is all the ammo TIIC need to put Bryton back to 10 eppies/year!  This hurts Bryton more than it does MM.  She will certainly move onto better things, but if he chooses to stay on YR, it's over for him.  HWG will just loan money to all of the white characters off screen!

• Members

Just like they have failed year after year trying to replace Shemar.

It's funny how Devon needs credibility to work as an "adult" character yet his white peers don't. Even the serial child molesting rapists.

• Members

I actually think they may end up being alright, especially Charlie. I think he's very likable and I think he could drive some story, if given the opportunity. I also think he's believeable as a grandchild of Neil/Dru's.  I believe he could help drive story for Lily/Cane once Hilary is gone. They could have him fall deeply for Shauna and Lily get concerned that he's moving to fast with her and go from there. They can even have Cane/Lily have somewhat differing opinions on Charlie's and Shauna's growing relationship.

I see it with Orday but definitely not with Camryn. I think that a lot of people didn't find them interesting together and that's a big reason why they weren't well received as a couple. I don't think they really had any chemistry. I do not want to see Devon with Mariah again. I don't think that Mariah has had romantic chemistry with that many people, an exception being Kyle. I do think she has good chemistry with him.

I also like him as a businessman and think that has helped his character development.

• Members

When I saw the thread title MM was absolutely the LAST person I thought or wanted to see as leaving. This is a huge blow. She was a chemistry magnet and one of the reasons I still watched Y&R as I’ve dropped the other shows...damn.

• Members

I think Neil's absence due to KSJs illness allowed the show to write both Lily and Devon as more competent in all aspects of their lives. This being made possible because the show no longer had to write him into their stories. Writers have a tendency to make them less than they could be to allow him the opportunity to play the wise patriarch. 

• Members

Of course not.  That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

ETA: Actually, if you look at your last statement from the perspective of TPTB, that IS exactly what is happening.  So, I do apologize for the misread.  However.....

I'm being stupid and irrational for believing BJ should be shown the proverbial door as well?  Just because he's been there for so long and (IMO) has yet to bring the goods, despite the Emmy win(s) and the big, shocking plot twists ("Oh, he's deaf!  Oh, he's Kay's long-lost grandson!")?  Good to know.  Of course, I never said he should leave WITH her, but now that you bring it up, it does sound like an awfully good idea.

What agenda could I possibly have other than to have a less boring show?  I, for one, have nothing against BJ as a person; and maybe, with a role more appropriate for him (and yes, and more appropriate writing FOR that role), he would shine.  But he doesn't shine on Y&R as Devon.

• Members

I never bought BJ as the tycoon who is as rich as Victor.

Perhaps it is the insane rewrites and not the actor. (Stephen Nichols is his dad/Debbi Morgan is his mother/Katherine is his grandmother). All of the sudden the character became something bigger and flashier and un-Y&R.

• Members

I think that surely helped Devon recently. But I think the fact that Bryton was finally thrust into a major torrid romance, however tawdry in its early stages - and more importantly, with a very strong partner, MM - did even more several years ago. I don't think he can command the same stature on his own without her and these unique circumstances. Whether we agree or disagree, I think we'd agree we wish this situation wasn't about to test that theory.

And again, honestly unless they find some amazing actor to take over and unless they decide to totally reconceive Abby Newman creatively, pairing anyone with her - especially Devon - is a ticket to the backburner. Her last name hasn't saved the character or any of the men she's been paired with. Lookin' at you, Stitch and Scott.

And Bryton is better than most of the young men of color who came in during his run, with the possible exception of Lamon Archey. That still doesn't mean he's by default a strong lead. Pointing to other actors doesn't solve the issue.

Archived