DAYS: February 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Mmmmhmmmmm

No lies here.

I expected so much more from Ron with DAYS.

I know his faults but I still expected to at least be entertained. Sometimes he has, but overall nope. So what's really going on with DAYS? Why does regime after regime fail? And it's often similar issues.

Yep! I know it was a short 5/6 episodes but there was no reason Carrie couldn't have interacted with John, Marlena and especially Will! Will and Carrie were at the police station AT THE SAME TIME and nothing. I kept waiting. Nothing. Carrie's last episode, she disappeared towards the end when John and Marlena were still dragging on their conversation at the hospital. Imagine a perky Carrie interrupting John and Marlena to say goodbye. Marlena and Carrie go off arms wrapped around each other and John somberly enters Steve room to continue "killing him". Folks, it isn't that hard!

And I'm STILL salty we didn't see John and Marlena's Christmas Eve with all of their kids and Will. Imagine an awkward Will off in the corner and overwhelemed and John has a nice chat about knowing what he's going through? Imagine we got a glimpse at New Years that something was up with John and Steve. It would have made the impact of what he's "doing" to Steve and those scenes with Will if we had seen this context before it was just thrown at us.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's also pretty annoying how things get focused on Rope. Sami's return became about Rope. Carrie's return became about Rope. On the other board it was mentioned Kayla and Steve's wedding was more about Rope (I don't really remember them involved that much but I guess I didn't hate them as much or notice). So many things become about Rope. I don't get it.

Someone really needs to get over their Galen Gering obsession and someone needs to tell Kristian that it's OK for Hope to be single. It's like she's scared of Hope being alone. Being alone after Daniel really benefitted Jennifer and I like her again. Hope worked well after Bo left being single and interacting with her family while still playing cop. Rafe isn't necessary. They were fine as friends. I liked Rafe with Nicole. Kind of with Chrisell Stause. With Carrie. With Kate. I'm not anti-Rafe (though Galen's so wooden and emotionless at times it's really painful). Hope and Rafe just don't work because he'll never be anything but a substitute for Bo, in many ways. While I wasn't the biggest fan of her and Aiden either, I thought they were beyond boring but not awful together (I think Cosgrove would have fit better with Judi Evans or Mary Beth Evans, IMO) but at least Aiden wasn't "Bo-lite", that's one of the real problems.

That and how awful they were during the Hope kills Stefano thing. That really killed them as characters for me and put such a stench on their relationship. I also hated how they had Bo ask Rafe to take care of Hope. Ridiculous. So many things forced about them that didn't need to be. They tried to make Dannifer happen for years and now they're trying to make Rope happen and it just isn't. CUT YOUR LOSSES DAYS! It's sad how they've tried to force Jennifer and Hope into new relationships when they should have spent the time giving Peter Reckell what he wanted and not firing Matt Ashford every couple of years. Both of these men should still be on this show IMHO.

Yep. I also feel like Ron himself doesn't promote the show as much as he did when he first started. He seemed more into it and what he was doing. He still tweets but it doesn't feel the same. I do feel like interference is happening, and what sucks is that the focus seems to be on the wrong characters. I still blame Ron for the state of the show but with Sheri there, I expected better from him. I'm just not sure why no regime can succeed. I know Higs was a true hack, so she doesn't count. Griffith had some potential, but it all went to hell. MarDar had some potential but it all went to hell. Corday dumped Brash and Cwickly, the last time the show truly had great writers at the helm. I STILL miss them and the place the show was in when they were writing.

Tomsell were a very mixed bag for me. I liked the return of Nick, the Nick/Gabi/Will/Sonny stuff, the Brady/Kristen stuff (even though I didn't like what it did to John as a character and Marlena became a non-entity for some of it), Eric's return, working at the church with Nicole, the struggle between them ... JJ as a rebellious teen who idolized his father and hated Daniel, and then it lead into him finding out Jack raped Kayla, Eve's return, JJ sleeping with Eve ...

So much of it was pretty decent. But then it all went to hell. In a very bad way.

I'm still salty Tomsell made Melissa Archer "Serena" instead of "Sarah". They could have still given her much of the same material (although I wish they wouldn't, I hated that damn elephant). And then you had that absolutely awful and ridiculous Summer story. Giving Maggie ANOTHER kid (I think it was giving her another kid) instead of, again, Sarah, a virtual blank slate. It's interesting reading when Sarah was brought back in 1990 (or 1991?) and you had the Maggie/Neil affair and Sarah finding out about them and him being her father. It felt very similar to how Sami was introduced, though Sami's seemed much more planned out than Sarah's, and it seemed like the Sarah/Neil/Maggie stuff ended as soon as it began. Shame.

• Members

Getting back into DAYS again and it's shocking to me how many flashbacks are in each week's worth of episodes. Not only that, but the rollback from the end of the previous episode is insane also, with minutes on end of repeated dialogue and material before we get to the new stuff. On GH, the rollback is all of 30 seconds and it's newly shot/alternate takes of the end tags. DAYS isn't even attempting to hide the reused footage here. Their budget must be really, really bad.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

That was the last time Days was actually good. I remember watching it but never really posting on the board about it. I don't know why Corday got rid of them. I wonder what they would've written for Will. I liked Brash also when he was a breakdown writer on ATWT.

• Members

Soaps (DAYS in particular) have used flashbacks very sparingly in recent years, but DAYS has amped it up again recently. I too am surprised at how much replay/rollback is used nowadays. There's been times where they get all the way to the openings sands falling through the hourglass before they finally come back with fresh new material. 

Brash & Cwikly brought us the interrupted Vegas wedding  of Austin & Sami, the Gemini twins, Jack finally stopped behaving like a clown (after pretending to be gay for Greta's sake), Billie returned as a cop, Tony (or Andre or DeAndre or McTony or whomever) returned and he and John were revealed as half-brothers, the Salem teen scene graduated highschool (the Jan pregnancy crap was quickly wrapped up) and moved into college dorms in the fall, Sami and Brandon got together, Brandon and Lexie hooked up, Chloe was diagnosed with leukemia.... I know there was more, and some of that doesn't even sound that great, but overall from early Spring 2002 to early 2003, the show really shaped up. 

• Members

Like Bradley Bell at B&B, the fault for Days's regimes failing over and over again always lies with Ken Corday. Corday always makes himself sound like a white knight while always managing to place blame on everyone else i.e. Langan, Reilly etc. However, Corday pretty much rubber stamps everything, so who else is to blame but him? I'd thought for sure Hogan Sheffer was going to make a wonderful fit at Days back in 2006 but oddly it ended in an EPIC DISASTER. 

Last time I enjoyed Days was during the 2009-2010 period. Bringing back Higley for the umpteenth time and then whatever the heck the 2011 reboot tried to do killed the show for myself. 

• Members

A very nicely directed episode by Scott McKinsey.

That said...the episode was horrendous. The John/Steve story is horrible. Marci Miller is a horrible actress. She is basically playing Gabi(dear lord) the same as she plays Abby. There is suppose to be a difference between alters. Loved seeing Billie and Tripp but the highlight was Will and Paul.

Archived