DAYS: February 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't realize this was supposed to be February sweeps until I read the thread. Yikes.

The show is boring. The Andre murder storyline is a complete snooze.

The next most boring storyline is Lani's pregnancy. I just do not care about any of it, other than I feel really bad for JJ.

I don't know what the hell is going on with John, but I just hope Will doesn't get his memory back. I like Will as he is right now and I like him and Paul and I don't want all of that to be thrown away for some insta-reunion with Sonny's boring ass.

Chad and Abby talking for a whole episode was definitely a snooze. Abby is very dull.

Ciara and Tripp could work, but I don't really care.

• Members

Apparently some of TPTB want Carrie back on longer stays but others don't? I had never heard anything about that until a few weeks ago. I know there were rumors of Carrie returning alone in late 2012 but nothing happened. 

As for Matt and Thaao. Some of it seems to go back to Reilly's first run in the 90s. Reilly didn't "get" MA's Jack, didn't understand how Jennifer could be attracted to him, or something like that. I've heard rumors about MA having drinking problmes and showing up at fan events drunk. Don't know how much of that played in since several of his firings happened under the same writer, Reilly.

Thaao's exit in 1995 seemed to have been strictly for story purposes, when Tony killed himself and framed John for it. I love that story. Thaao once called it a Greek tragedy. But back when it happened it was hard for him. Both of his parents died a week apart from each other, and while mourning them he had to spend his last day on set laying in a coffin playing dead. Thaao is also quite the diva and can be very outspoken. He spoiled Marlena being the Salem Stalker in an Israeli magazine (but was promised it wouldn't be published until later). That probably pissed Reilly off. When Tomlin became EP in 2008 Tony's story with EJ, John and Stefano was dropped. TP asked Tomlin what happened to his story, he happened to be nominated for an Emmy earlier that year, and that's when Tomlin said "it's not always about talent Thaao". Something TP would mention several times later when talking about "the Passions producer", LOL.

There's alot of juicy rumors over the years, but overall I think the main reason is that some writers and producers just don't get or care for them. Kinda like you mentioning Stephen and Mary Beth. We always know that some actors seem to be at bigger risk while people like Galen Gering and Eric Martsolf can stink up year after year. If you're not part of the group that Corday will always veto for, you're not safe. 

• Members

It is weird that Abby seems so lifeless when both if her parents were anything but.  Jennifer always had spunk and spirit at that age (and very early Jennifer was very much like how early JJ was)...and Jack always had a funny and intense side.  So I'm curious what relative Abby inherited her lifeless personality from.

I think Ron C needs a co head writer...not a consultant..but a co head writer.

• Members

Abby did have that spunk with Kate in the role, Marci always seems like she took a Sominex before hitting the set. I actually saw her in a cheesy movie a few years ago and she had way more personality and energy so it seems like it's a choice on her part.

• Members

I actually enjoy Thaao as an actor and enjoyed the 2002 return had he stayed Tony. I enjoyed the brother rivalry he shared with John when he thought to have been Daphne’s son. Speaking of that they should have let that be John’s family history and ended with that. Now is basically nobody. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Members

Pretty much (though I seem to remember liking her when she confronted Dario, before the hit and run). I've really tried to give her a shot. I've tried very hard. She's not a bad actress, I think she has a nice look to her (her face, her clothing choices are dubious) but there's no ... energy. No personality. It's just NOT Abby. Marci has more personality in behind the scenes stuff and pics than she does on-air. She must think playing Abby so reserved means she's "strong" but, no.

But to be fair, Abby's return was written horribly when Marci was cast, and the Gabi/Abby/Dario/Chad quad sucked (Abby was thrown under the bus, IMHO, and the writing for Chad was awful), and then we had Abby and Chad giggling in bed since their wedding (the one time Marci showed spark, but I think there was at least one other time I thought she was good. And I think she does a little better in family scenes with Missy and Casey). She hasn't been given a lot to work with, but at the same time, I picture Kate's Abby just owning the hell out of some of this stuff and playing it so differently, with facial expressions, attitude in her body language and she'd just add more "oomph" to her scenes, so to speak. She could have really sold Abby's crazy desperate desire to make everyone think she was dead.

Another thing that doesn't help is that Abby and Chad seem to be more or less stuck in the DiMera bubble. And Billy Flynn has been pretty lazy for a while now. He's basically playing himself. While I like Billy, it's clear he's not as checked in as he used to be. IMHO, of course. Billy and Marci seem close and I think they're bad influences on each other lol.

Maybe we'll see Marci with a personality if Abby does indeed have an alternate personality like I'm suspecting (I don't have any spoilers, don't worry Toups!)

Archived