DAYS: February 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see what you all are talking about.

When I was watching regularly there was a lot going on and movement.

Watching from February 1 and it just feels like stalling. Perhaps plot buildup, but...hm.

When it comes to writing for February Sweeps, RC rarely have good ones...May Sweeps are more his thing...so I hope history isn't going to repeat itself.

• Members

Personally I found December and January to be far worse than right now, there's at least a bit of balance with the stories. It's still horrible balance but it's there.

December-January felt like Dena Higley took the helm again. (And a lot of it had to do with the characters who were on were given a lot of focus and airtime during her run and I realized they were all problematic in one way or another).

But then what everyone else is doing isn't all that great either.

I really don't know what can fix this show besides a bigger budget or someone running the show who knows how to manage the budget, and improve on episode guarantees to have better flow in storylines and getting people out of their bubbles. What story can you tell when someone has a 1 or 2 episode a week guarantee? I think a better budget and better producers can make it work a little better.

Nothing feels like it matters. Nothing feels like it makes an impact.

Marlena going to Kayla and offering support to her and Steve used to be some grandoise gesture with great lighting, stellar setting and great background music. It just feels so cheap, lol. And I think there are ways to mask how cheap the show feels but they aren't doing that.

I think we're also in a rut casting wise. We've had a lot of characters come and go in various regimes but frankly I'm tired of  Eric Martsolf and Galen Gering. I'm tired of the DiMera and Kiriakis families being the core of the show and I'm also bored to tears by the business stories. It helped giving Stefan and Gabi offices at DiMera but still. I. DON'T. CARE. I'm all for businesses and characters working but it shouldn't be *the* focus.

So anyway, we're in a rut cast wise, IMO. But then I worry they'd get rid of all the wrong people (Stephen, Mary Beth, to name two) like they often do. I don't know why the show seems to think Christie Clark, Matt Ashford and Thaao Penghlis are problematic. Apparently, take it for what you will, there's a reason Christie's runs have either been cut short or that there's a "problem" bringing her back full time (and something about it has to do with the  Austin's, so I say they should have killed him off in 2012 instead of Jack. Austin saving Abby and then dying? Austin saved her life as a baby so it would be full circle). It was posted about on Daytime Royalty. I know Sindacco posts on there too and probably remembers the insinuation.

• Members

I loved today's episode minus Chad and Abby. And can Sonny go away....far far away?? I can't stand him!  And the talk with his dad(Justin) was

Please register in order to view this content

. Something happening to Will to cause for him to regain his memory while he was in peril. I am not liking Freddie Smith's latest posts about how great the shows are he is taping. Makes me think Will and Sonny are already back together...UGH!

As for the episode I was hoping Paul would save Will. Great cliffhanger!

• Members

I liked today's episode. It was nice to see Justin, and interacting with Ari and Sonny, but agreed, it was kinda boring, but I welcome the interaction.

I loved Will/John/Paul.

Chad and Abby totally dragged the episode down and this was such an episode guarantee burn for them. Lawd. And also likely foreshadowing to when Abby finds the clothes and urn lid and wonders how it got there (or someone else finds it). We all know Abby has an alter, dressed up as Gabi and murdered Andre. It's why Abby has been SOOOOO DISTRAUGHT. Ron is NOT subtle.

It was nice that they let Kayla have a perspective for a change and it was a nice talk with Marlena. We need more of scenes like these. I really liked a lot of Steve and Kayla's scenes. Felt very "them".

I hope the explanation for this convoluted story is a good one because man ... lol

• Members

Yep we do! lol and Abby getting an alter was probably the very first concern I had when Ron was hired. I knew he couldn't resist. Maybe it'll make Marci come alive because .... blah. She's not a bad actress but she plays Abby too reserved. There's no snarkiness, there's no eye rolling, there's no attitude, I miss the feistiness Abby had when Kate was playing her. Marci's so monotone and serious most of the time (when she's not annoyingly giggling with Chad). I think she thinks this is how you play a strong Abby but it's not. There's no personality there anymore.

Could anyone really see Marci's Abby stripping to her undies and climbing on top of Austin, or screwing EJ in the shower? At least not this monotone aesexual version.

• Members

Ugggh, I was worried about this. This show doesn't need a third damn person with DID. So freaking LAZY and you're all right, I KNEW Ron would pull this old trick out again.

I'dve rather seen Bonnie do this as a favour to Hattie, but that would've required Bonnie disguise herself as Anna and not Gabi. Lazy damn writing.

But I will say that otherwise I'm enjoying the show. I was kinda rolling my eyes at the whole who's the daddy thing with Lani, Eli, Gabi, and JJ, but the motivations are actually decent, and Valerie is giving me life right now getting down to business and making sure Lani takes some responsibility for her actions. It's a rare case where you totally get all the characters' motivations and there's no real heavy in the situation. THAT story is being played alright, IMO. But, as many have said, the episode guarantees are bugging me, because too many people are vanishing for long stretches and it's hurting some of these stories.

I like her but she's never gonna be Abby for me. There was something very emotional and on-edge about Kate Mansi's Abby and Marci Miller is, relatively speaking, pretty much comatose in many scenes. She's just so stoic and icy, and there isn't that sensuality that KM brought to the role. I would never buy MM hoein' around with EJ or trynna pull a Sami on Austin. No way.

Archived