Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

Ever since Moonves said that I've pretty much stopped the last few CBS shows I watched (aside from Big Brother, sometimes). 

The stock falling just on claims of an article that isn't even out yet either means that Ronan Farrow has gained the kind of credibility that 99% of today's journalists do not have, or that these claims truly were an open secret in the industry and everyone was just waiting. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've had my issues with Farrow in the past, but I have to say he's had my utmost admiration and support from the time MSNBC canned him and axed his show. It's clear the show wasn't cutting it, but the way he was treated following that was frankly incredibly disrespectful. Their attempts to shut down the story that won him his Pulitzer for The New Yorker is perhaps the nudge his career actually needed to make him a real force to be reckoned with.

I think it's extremely naïve of someone like Anderson Cooper and Leslie Stahl especially to believe that nothing went on because of how they have been treated.

• Members

I think it's likely just part of the game for them - Stahl got her career going in this type of atmosphere for women, and Cooper likely knows that 60 Minutes is his only claim to serious news fame, and his only life raft outside of a CNN that is a clown car that can move on without him at any time. I've always thought he was phony, and this definitely doesn't change that for me.

I agree about Farrow. The article is very meticulously written, as the most important/influential articles on the #MeToo movement have been. They make sure to try to present all sides and also to not editorialize or add trashy, confusing details. I can see why he cautioned people before the article came out, as a great deal of it was more about the culture of CBS News than Moonves himself. 

I've always thought Illeana Douglas was a talented, charismatic actress who never really got her due. It's unfortunate to think this may have helped kneecap her career. I guess I will have to wonder now if many of the actresses who never break through have been held back if they don't let men force them into a cattle call. 

• Members

Julie Chen is suppose to resume The Talk on Monday. This article asks what might happen to Chen as the walls close in on her powerful boss/husband.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/julie-chen-leslie-moonves-cbs-future-1202888951/

I’m angrier at our craven, cynical, clicks-and-ad driven media than I’ll ever be at the man in the Oval Office. They helped him get there, as Les Moonves so crassly said. So I take all the fake outrage from Anderson Cooper and his peers with a huge side eye. It’s the 24-hr Trump Show, they are loving it, and I certainly won’t be helping them profit from it.

Speaking of $$$, I do worry about Ronan’s safety given the money at stake with these powerful people. Weinstein was on the downward slide, but Moonves is a huge scalp.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I definitely believe this contributed to the derailment of her career, as it has to many women who have yet to get to where Douglas ever reached.

This atmosphere is widespread to CBS.  It is part and parcel of their corporate culture under Moonves, in particular.  One only needs to look at their programming choices to realize this.

The stock plunge was not only a reaction to the Moonves allegations, it is also an acknowledgement that the corporate culture that CBS has nurtured for decades no longer works. 

You know who might be doing a bit of a jig right now? Shari Redstone, who has been engaged in something in a bitter battle with Moonves over  the future of CBS.

• Members

Illeana Douglas has always been semi-protected due to her long and public association with Martin Scorsese. But she didn't become as big as she could've because of stories like this.

I'd actually gained a bit of respect for Julie Chen given some of the topics she and the other women on The Talk discuss - I had no illusions about her being married to the boss, but she came off as less of a Stepford/trophy wife than I previously gave her credit for. I don't condone what she's said, but I also imagine she and many at CBS are now in impossible positions. Regardless, Moonves has had this coming a long time.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Angelica McDaniel.  I can only hope that more women come forward in the next few weeks, since it takes double digits to be taken seriously it sometimes seems.

From that Vanity Fair article:

They met in the ’90s. At the time, Moonves was the president and chief officer of CBS Television. Chen hosted “CBS This Morning” and “Big Brother,” two programs that he oversaw. They married in 2004, at a private ceremony in Mexico. She was 34, and he was 55, coming off a difficult divorce. The date of their wedding had to be pushed back, because Moonves was still married to his estranged wife, Nancy, during their engagement.

That year, Nancy told the New York Daily News that she didn’t watch CBS. “I don’t want to see [Chen],” she said. “It’s not healthy for me or my kids.” She added: “I felt everybody knew what was going on. And everybody knew. But me.”

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I agree.  There are multiple allegations.  If you want to be loyal then just keep your mouth shut, instead of trying to deflect.

I can understand why she didn't care that he was having consensual sex with groupies.  That seems very different to me than screwing over someone's career because they don't want to screw you. 

Edited by Juliajms