Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

I would agree, but as I saw someone saying, it's impossible to guess that after Mel Gibson was rehabbed for even worse. It mostly depends on how much support Joss still has in the industry. 

The part about him feeling he had to have "affairs" (AKA young women in high pressure situations feeling they were meant to sleep with him) made my skin crawl. And it confirms so much about the cultlike vibes of Buffy which you get glimpses of from puff pieces and interviews of that era. It's one of the reasons why I have a hard time with anything from that show after the first 2 or 3 seasons. He broke those people. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Glad that I never got onto his work. For years, I felt odd about not having seen Buffy (I had only seen the movie) and I never saw Firefly. I only have a marginal understanding of who he is (in my defense, I'm a theater person) but now I'm not sorry to be unfamiliar with him or his work.

He sounds like genuine trash.

• Members

They talk about his pettiness in the article (and James Marsters, among others, has discussed it) but my own weird Joss Whedon ego moment in the past came long, long ago. For years Whedon has been whining about how his script of Alien: Resurrection was 'ruined' by the brilliant French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet. While that film is certainly stylistically OTT, a bit broad and not to everyone's tastes, as a teenaged film nerd I read his script before the film came out, back when it still had a part written in for Chow Yun-Fat and an Earthbound ending. With the exception of a name change to the Chow character and a cheaper ending in the last few pages, that movie is word for word his script, melded with Jeunet's very different sensiibility (and it's a film I like a lot, unlike most of the planet!). The conclusion for me then was, Whedon just doesn't like being out of control. He has to be the master.

• Members

Boy, Joss's most diehard fans were/are real pieces of work.  There, you had fairly large, fairly vocal groups of people, with shared experiences of being treated like crap by the "cool kids," and what were they doing?  Treating like crap those that they deemed weren't "cool enough" to be part of their circle.  It's like they were deliberately getting their revenge, or the irony was lost on them, or both.  Frankly, it was enough for me to stop watching Joss's shows altogether.  I have much, much fonder memories of my interactions with fans of "Freaks and Geeks" and "My So-Called Life" than I have with those jackholes.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Talk about how some guys always get a date - Joss Whedon got married again after the scandal about his affairs (which started with an op-ed by his ex-wife), degrading women, disrespecting minority actors, bullying underage actresses, and difficulties with anger management.  And from today's article he does not seem particularly repentant, insightful, nor charming.

Meanwhile, I've not met anyone new since the start of the pandemic, and I've never cussed out a supervisee in my entire career!

• Members

I just read the interview (sorry, reposting a recent status update because I didn't see this thread). He shouldn't have bothered. That was an absolutely terrible interview and the non-apology-apology equivalent of "I'm sorry if you think I did something bad."

I cannot believe he said that English wasn't Gal Gadot's "first language" and therefore that's why she 'misunderstood' his threat to destroy her career!

Ray Fisher "a bad actor in both senses" -- wtf? And Charisma Carpenter "Most of my experiences with Charisma were delightful and charming. She struggled sometimes with her lines..." He's trying to make sure both of them have a rep in Hollywood as unprofessional/poor in their work. The very LEAST he could have done with Charisma is apologise for the years of mental suffering (and lost job opportunities) she experienced because of him.

He is an awful, awful person.

Truly that was the "I couldn't help myself! All these women in short skirts!" defense of rapists. Michelle Trachtenberg, who was 13, was so shaken by her 'one-on-one' experience with him that her parents insisted she could never be in a room with him ALONE again. 

I remember these breathless puff pieces back in the day, and the inference that SMG was a snooty snob who didn't want to 'hang with the group' after work. Now it seems she didn't want to be anywhere near JW except on-set with lots of cast and crew around. It must be painful for her to field Buffy questions from fans knowing their experience and her experience of the show are diametrically opposed.

These awful people seem to have no shortage of candidates throwing themselves at them! What am I doing wrong?! LOL. 

And why do I have a feeling he married a fan who worships at his feet?

Edited by Cat