Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. He's not standing up for the show he's whining about his lack of airtime. I have to LOL that he thinks it will change under Mal. I'm sure it could but it's putting the cart before the horse. He does need to have a seat. I can only imagine the egos at Y&R. Lawd.

How he and many others got an Emmy I'll never know. They've long been a joke.

Paul has become moody and grumpy as the police chief. I haven't liked him in that role. Paul hasn't been a viable character for a long time. Sorry Doug I don't care how long you've been on the show you have to know you're an easy vet to cut one day.

• Members

what about Jack Smith or eD Scott to co-hW?

Has Ed Scott ever written before

Or  he can be EP and Mal can be eP too but Ed is always on the floor

Actually im surprised DD has remained at YR so long and that he is still on contract

• Members

I think Mal has an ego and wanted total control of the show. I have no doubts he probably did a bit of sabotage to get the writing position. Not saying Sally was amazing but the show was all over the place. I bet he fought a lot of what they did. I think Kay and Sally fled. I do think the hammer was coming down but I bet there was a lot of clashing. Hope MY realizes there's gonna be no scapegoat if he can't get the ratings up. Like others they'll let him hang himself and we'll be hearing about a new EP and writer in a year or two.

EDIT: I could see Sally getting the axe and Kay deciding she was over the egos and having too many cooks in the kitchen and deciding to bolt.

• Members

Sad news, but I guess many posters will be very happy, since they hated KA and SSM's material. 

It was obvious that there were different visions behind the screen. Having Kay Alden around made me fell more secure about the show's direction. 

DD is acting stupid. His character has no family ties on the show and his last successful romance was with Cricket more than twenty years ago. What does he expect? I think he should be happy with being the town cop. 

Please let's not turn this thread into another Jean debate.

• Members

I think Sally/Kay had free reign from December until about April but record low ratings and lost revenue prompted CBS to start interfering. Obviously the Philly reunion happened because of them and we started hearing about Adam which Sally didnt want to explore. Why do u guys think networks should jusy renew there contracts off crappy ratings?

I dont think Mal has any big ego. He clearly is liked by the cast. Every cast member raves about him. I am hoping we get excitement back, real stories with big payoffs.  What worked 25 years ago for YR doesnt mean it will work now?

• Members

Mal best stuff was with Chuck Pratt. Even the Chloe reveal was based off Pratt stuff. I dont see Doug being a jerk never got that impression. I didnt see any real actors raving about Sally/Kay. Kay Alden is 70 years old maybe shes lost her luster. Honestly Kay should go back to B&B. The one thing i think that CBS shouls do is give Mal a co exec. Even Sally McDonald at one time was co.exec with maria.

• Members

As opposed to Jean Passanante, who's only 64 and still got it, right, Jonny baby?

I don't know WHY I'm engaging with you NOW, since you long ago proved yourself to be the trolliest troll who ever trolled, but you have REALLY crossed a line with your insinuation that KA is no longer capable as a writer simply because of her age.  I mean, that's the sort of shitty thinking that keeps anyone over 40 from being taken seriously in many professions.

Point of fact: writers like KA don't lose their ability to entertain or inspire audiences at any time in their lives.  If they had it at the beginning of their careers, they'll still have it later on.  If anything, the years of life experience will sharpen their skills, not dull them.

Whatever it is that you do for a living (besides annoy the hell out of people on message boards with your insane idol-worship of hacks like Passanante and Shelly Altman), I pray that if and when you reach 70 years old, no one tells YOU that you've lost your luster and need to go.

Archived