Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so sad about this. I am loving the show. The last few months have been great IMO. I actually find everything is working. Huge improvement over Pratt's trash. This is the best the show has been in a decade. But if some of you are right, and Mal Young is actually responsible for the last few months, I'll change my mind to being happy. 

• Members

I do too but as some say I doubt he has anything to do with the current writing. He is EP not the writer.

I know it is far fetched but I actually though it was sweet having Maddie and Reed together. He truly likes her and she does him and I know some think she may be boring but she may need to lighten up a bit cause she is a young shy girl but it comes with time but at least she seems real.  I do like spice but I know with time that will happen with her character but at least their not having to make her fake and not wear glasses cause some think it doesn't look cool but it can be very attractive and sexy when they let her come out of her shell. I just don't want her turning into a bad girl. I like her innocence and intelligence it's nice to see her and Reed opposite but really dig each other.

It's like Daniel and Lily although I also like DS Lily too but I did always prefer Daniel with Lily and whoever Lily was at the time I didn't mind cause I liked her paired with him with either actress although DS was the better Lily at the time.  By the way I always hated they split them up when they had supercouple status back then and potential for the future too.

IMO anyway.

• Members

Let me ask this honestly, what could Angelica and Sony really do?

Sally was here for like 8 months and 4 or 5 of those 8 months she had record low demos. She was actually setting records for most weeks of consecutive lows for the show.  What is Angelica supposed do in this situation?  Add that to the fact that many people in the cast were vocal in their displeasure with the show....it honestly would have been borderline irresponsible for Angelica as an exec not to do something.  It's a business. She never had a period of good or even decent ratings or gains.  How would Angelica be able to justify giving her a new contract or keeping her on?

Now the Kay part is what sucks. It feels like she is unfairly being lumped in with Sally's failures when I think Kay has every capacity to still be great. They shouldn't be seen as a package deal. Sally's flops are not Kay's and I wish Kay would have been kept on as a consultant.

Also, Mal becoming the HW is such an atrocious idea and a stupid one. We saw this with Latham - it didn't work. We saw this with MAB - it didn't work. This won't be any different. It's too much for one person and Mal doesn't even seem to have enough experience as a HW to justify this.  Even if this is temporary, given the show's track record with having people take on both the role of EP and HW, it is beyond stupid that CBS and Sony would be fine with this even for a short period of time. 

I hope they find a real HW and fast. 

• Members

Well, some of y'all got your wish. I just hope Mal Young does a good job.

Yet, from what I gather, you still watched. After Victor was a cartoon for so long, it made sense to humanize him again. There was a done of needless criticism, Kay Alden and Sally are not perfect, but they were on the right path at least.

Sony is also one to not make the best decisions...

• Members

So glad Vizion is here to speak for the cast and lecture us. Um, many on here expressed vocal displeasure with Sally, almost from the day she started. She wasn't great but a few things she did right and I think many of us trusted her and Kay with the show even if she didn't do the best job. There's no guarantee Mal will be any better. 

Exactly. Humanizing Victor again (for a brief period, anyway), rebooting Sharon, bringing back Dina ... those were some good moves by Sally. And much needed. But I guess that's now considered "boring"

• Members

What are you talking about? 

I just said I expect Mal to fail, I think it's a mistake to make him HW and EP, I hope they get a new HW fast and I respect Kay. It helps to actually read the posts. 

My point was simple, Sally's ratings and demos were terrible so there wasn't really a choice for Angelica or Sony from a business standpoint.

• Members

I read all of your post. Sometimes I generalize things and it's not always directed at the person I quoted even though I included you in it.

And yes, Sally's ratings and demos were terrible, I totally understand they needed to make the decision they did. I never disagreed with that.

EDIT: I got rid of the rudeness. Probably wasn't fair. Sorry to Vizion.

• Members

Yeah, these were all good things. I just hope they continue, and the stories get better. The things I did enjoy during the current regime:

Ashley/Ravi - Not as a romantic interest but I enjoyed there friendship, the actors complimented each other very well

Juliet/Brash&Sassy/Ashby's 

Return of Dina

Sharon & Victor becoming characters again

Potential Mariah/Tessa

• Members

No worries. I'll edit mine too.  I get why everyone is disappointed who liked them, I guess it felt like a lot of people asking why or saying it wasn't fair but without the ratings or demos there was no way to justify having them stick around.

I think Mariah/Tessa should continue.

I don't like Brash & Sassy. I actually think Brash & Sassy and GC Buzz need to go. Just go forward wit Jabot, Hamilton-Winters Group and Newman. Leave Brash and Sassy and Femores as smaller companies that are part of Newman (B&S) and Jabot (Fenmores)

Sharon should absolutely remain sane

I don't know about Victor, it still feels like they're not sure how to write him really. 

Dina should stick around but they should drop the whole Graham angle, who cares anymore?

• Members

Actually, all of the scenes happening at the Athletic Club already happened -- under JFP.

AGAIN you're here to say you've barely watched in months, then you snidely offer snark ones about plot. Hey, I think criticism is fine, but not from someone who rambles on and who hasn't watched.

And your idea of good daytime is The Chew and The Real? Uh....ok.

+2

• Members

I get the Kay Alden love for her history with the show, but no one knows what or how much she contributed in this run. Why should she be separated from "Sally's failures"? We don't know that Kay sat in the back of the room with her mouth shut and said nothing.

KA has been THERE for the past 7 months. You cannot have it both ways. If she's that great, why haven't the past 7 months been pretty damn good? If she's done little in these past months, why keep her around?

Archived