Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Members

Honestly i thought Mal and Chuck Pratt worked much better together in their last few months then Sally did at all with him. They had 13 weeks of record lows in ratings. Sorry guys but CBS is a business and Sally/Kay YR didnt translate in todays world. It was severely dull. Sally worst move acting like Philly didnt exist and pimping an insta reunion of Victoria/Billy. Not to mention for months on end the show lacked any drama. They criminally wasted Gina Tognoni.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show is so [!@#$%^&*] ridiculous!  But Zzzzzzally needed to go!  She was a complete bore who believes a Friday cliffhanger would be Maddie finding out Reed is a Rocker and not a folk singer!  

Angie McD may need to go as well and I don't believe Mal Young is the person to helm this show.  

All this "retiring" is hilarious.  Can Frank V be next, please?!  

• Members

Actually Jamey said Mal pitched CBS a great long term stories for YR that CBS loved. Angelica loves Mal and cast and crew. Lets be honest Kay/Sally were both fired this they wanted to retire is crap. Jean P retired had a long annoucement two months ago with tons of well wishes. Jean freaking retired these ladies were fired.

Frank is not retiring hes only 54. ABC loves him.

• Members

I have barely watched in the last couple of months because there are no stories on this "story".  Hillary pulls a stunt.  Gloria bugs her eyes out.  Nikki stumbles around.  I saw a couple of days where Snore-toria is stumbling around.  Victor pretends to be a victim.  Billy is....Billy.  Phyllis has nothing to do.  Deana returns and has a boy toy.  Devon continues to be Devon and bores us all to death.  Mariah could be interesting but falls victim to Hillary repeatedly.  Jill returns and wants Billy with Victoria.  Then Jill disappears again.  Jack plays bitter-betty and I'm not sure why.  Cane cheated I guess.  Their kids aged overnight.  Tess sings and lives with Nikki.  Noah wanders.  Chloe is aided by Victor, escapes her deeds repeatedly.  Kevin left (finally). 

That's about it from what I've seen.  Thank god for The Chew and Who wants to be a Millionaire, and a day-old The Real.  I say roll the dice and try something because when you're at all-time lows every other week you can't expect to last.  I think he's done a good job as Executive Producer - the show looks great, but you do have to notice the uptick in scenes and happenings at the Athletic Club.  That's what happens when the budget belt tightens - like happened on Guiding Light where everyone suddenly lived at The Beacon and they started limiting whose houses they showed.  Hasn't gotten there yet with Y&R but it's starting. 

• Members

Its been said that Mal has written many UK shows. This is not his first rodeo at writing soaps. It was clear Sally/Kay were stuck in YR time warp people didnt want to see. When Sally was passed up in 2014 by JFP it turns out Jill was right. The show had zero drama or stories. U had Victoria/Billy pimping, Ravi/Ashley, Gina Tognoni wasted, Gloria annoying return, the stupid Julie Chen LA shoot but no real stories. Pratt was so nutso but i will admit i watched for the action. Coupled with terrible ratings. CBS made right choice. Only one lady retired and that was Jean Passanante she finished her contract out. These ladies are already gone anf were axed a little before the contracts expired.

• Members

I don't think anything these actors say publicly means anything at all.  They are almost always going to be complimentary because they want to keep their job and get screen time. When someone says something even a little negative I figure they either know they can't be fired (EB) or they no longer GAF.

• Members

The problem I will have with mal young goes back to his appearance on rhobh...where he was telling Erika about archetypes.  he seemed pretty adamant that characters belonged to them...and maybe that works on UK soaps...but US soaps in their heyday had multi dimensional characters beyond the bad girl, good girl archetype.

Hilary should be more then the bad girl archetype...and poor Mariah had been reduced to the ingenure archetype..when her character wad anything but.

Archived