Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm mostly saddened by the Kay Alden part of all this. She deserved better treatment than this I think.

SSM is a grindingly mediocre writer who mostly gets credit for the era of Y&R she worked on rather than her own work. She was lucky to get a job back with the show, and while I realize that she likely was held down by pressures above her with Sony, CBS, Mal Young, whoever, she had a whole soap to show her talent on, a soap all her own, and I can't say I ever saw much of it. 

• Members

Bradley Bell should give her a call and ask her to be his co-head writer because B&B is a hot mess.

She is a hack writer. When she started off with the non Lauren story being all about Gloria to Victor throwing family parties to putting Jill back with Colin....her being named HW was all about nothing....cause she failed miserably.

• Members

so, you're saying drunk/drugged/whatever Cane cheating on Lily w/ some hew that they tried to duct tape into BFF's w/ Lily was a decent story? Don't even get me started on aging the twins to HS. And this is only one example, and characters I don't even care about.

Please register in order to view this content

welp. 

• Members

Going back to Mal Young, does anybody think it's a good idea for him to be EP and HW? Maria Arena Bell did it and we all know how that went. When Paul Rauch joined I do think there was an improvement from her not being in charge of everything. Brad Bell on B&B has always been a disaster in both roles and at this point should just be EP. My thing is, if as good a writer as Bill Bell was he had an EP, anybody should. It's just too much to produce five episodes a week and also be in charge of story. It's a recipe for disaster.

• Members

Wow I am so shocked right now. 8 months? I have a feeling, if they did retire on their own accord, it was because of too much interference and got fed up. Which has been Y&R's problem for a while. CBS has opinions, Sony does, etc. The show is basically ran by committee it feels like. That's no way to run a show. 

Archived