Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN


Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 hours ago, Khan said:

I apologize for the mini-rant against whatshisface's comment, but I guess I've been sensitive about ageism, especially against writers, ever since I read an article where both Bill Lawrence and Gary David Goldberg proclaimed how they made a point of hiring exclusively young(er) writers for their shows ("Scrubs" and "Spin City," respectively).  You expect a no-talent douchebag like Lawrence to say he doesn't want older writers on his staff because they might intimidate him (and by "intimidate," he probably meant he didn't want 'em telling him his stories and jokes are puerile), but Goldberg was the surprising one, given the fact that he was no spring chicken himself.

 

It's possible -- no, make that probable -- that KA quit as a sign of solidarity with SSM against CBS' and Sony's level of interference.

 

I wish KA wouldn't take this as a sign to get out of the business altogether.  Daytime soaps are circling the drain, but what about shows on primetime and other viewing platforms?  Surely, with most shows these days being so heavily serialized, one of 'em could use someone like KA (or Nancy Curlee)?

 

I like this thought. The first time it's been mentioned and I can also see it as probable. 

Edited by ajsp35801
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
1 hour ago, SOAPSFOREVER said:

Also, who gives a damn when Jean P announced her retirement? Most of the soap world is glad she's gone. 

 

I know I am!  Jean Passanante proved a long time ago she didn't care about history, character motivation, or even basic good taste.  (Brooke English falls for the drunk driver who killed her daughter?  Are you serious?) All that mattered to her was plot and how to manipulate it in order to get tongues wagging, keep demos up and make her bosses happy.  Have a wonderful life, Ms. Passanante, but stay the hell away from writing.

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

 

I like this thought. The first time it's been mentioned and I can also see it as probable. 

 

I mentioned it too I thought maybe Kay hauled ass and said deuces because of the interference. She probably had enough.

25 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

I know I am!  Jean Passanante proved a long time ago she didn't care about history, character motivation, or even basic good taste.  (Brooke English falls for the drunk driver who killed her daughter?  Are you serious?) All that mattered to her was plot and how to manipulate it in order to get tongues wagging, keep demos up and make her bosses happy.  Have a wonderful life, Ms. Passanante, but stay the hell away from writing.

 

PREACH! Jean is a HACK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
30 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

I mentioned it too I thought maybe Kay hauled ass and said deuces because of the interference. She probably had enough.

 

PREACH! Jean is a HACK.

 

I'm sorry. I missed that. But it was a smart thought. She sees the  writing on the wall and doesn't want the end of it all associated with her. Gotta protect the legacy. 

Edited by ajsp35801
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

 

I'm sorry. I missed that. But it it w snart thought. She sees the  writing on the wall and doesn't want the end of it all associated with her. Gotta protect the legacy. 

 

No worries, no need to be sorry

Please register in order to view this content
but I just have the feeling she hauled butt lol. I can only imagine the BTS stuff going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, KMan101 said:

 

No worries, no need to be sorry

Please register in order to view this content
but I just have the feeling she hauled butt lol. I can only imagine the BTS stuff going on.

 

With DD's open jealousy, I bet it's a cesspool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

 

Actually, all of the scenes happening at the Athletic Club already happened -- under JFP.

 

AGAIN you're here to say you've barely watched in months, then you snidely offer snark ones about plot. Hey, I think criticism is fine, but not from someone who rambles on and who hasn't watched.

 

And your idea of good daytime is The Chew and The Real? Uh....ok.

 

+2

When you've got someone in your signature line that wrote for WWE?  His longest writing stint???  OK. 

Edited by Fevuh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 minutes ago, Fevuh said:

When you've got someone in your signature line that wrote for WWE?  His longest writing stint???  OK. 

 

That isn't my signature line, and anyone with any sense knows that Tom Casiello understands what goes on with writing and producing a soap. You can dismiss that with your petty WWE snark, but I'll take his word before I agree with your "I stopped watching months ago, but the following 20 plotlines suck."

6 hours ago, KMan101 said:

 

I think Mal has an ego and wanted total control of the show. I have no doubts he probably did a bit of sabotage to get the writing position. Not saying Sally was amazing but the show was all over the place. I bet he fought a lot of what they did. I think Kay and Sally fled. I do think the hammer was coming down but I bet there was a lot of clashing. Hope MY realizes there's gonna be no scapegoat if he can't get the ratings up. Like others they'll let him hang himself and we'll be hearing about a new EP and writer in a year or two.

 

EDIT: I could see Sally getting the axe and Kay deciding she was over the egos and having too many cooks in the kitchen and deciding to bolt.

 

I think this is a great guess at what happened behind the scenes. No doubt Mal has an ego. He wanted it his way -- and now he's got it. 

 

Sally had a co-executive producer tag, but clearly Mal had more sway. Sally's plots and stories were altered, changed direction, scuttled....you name it.  Now we know Mal wanted to be Head Writer and to Exec. Produce the entire show.

 

I tend to agree with KMan101's comment before his edit -- that Sally and Kay fled.

 

i think they saw the writing on the wall, and the constant push/pull with Mal became tiring and stressful. Sally was writing stories in ways she didn't want to write them. Why stick around for that?

 

I am not sure at all that this is going to work. I think Mal Young is taking on too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
15 minutes ago, ranger1rg said:

 

That isn't my signature line, and anyone with any sense knows that Tom Casiello understands what goes on with writing and producing a soap. You can dismiss that with your petty WWE snark, but I'll take his word before I agree with your "I stopped watching months ago, but the following 20 plotlines suck."

 

I think this is a great guess at what happened behind the scenes. No doubt Mal has an ego. He wanted it his way -- and now he's got it. 

 

Sally had a co-executive producer tag, but clearly Mal had more sway. Sally's plots and stories were altered, changed direction, scuttled....you name it.  Now we know Mal wanted to be Head Writer and to Exec. Produce the entire show.

 

I tend to agree with KMan101's comment before his edit -- that Sally and Kay fled.

 

i think they saw the writing on the wall, and the constant push/pull with Mal became tiring and stressful. Sally was writing stories in ways she didn't want to write them. Why stick around for that?

 

I am not sure at all that this is going to work. I think Mal Young is taking on too much.

Please. And I have sense and have met Tom.  And Martha Byrne.  When the ratings are in the basement, writers will be canned.  And you're right - and I'm not the only one....when I think about it - why bother watching?  There isn't anything here.  A few months ago you said something like...WHY watch if you don't like it?!  You're right.  I won't from now on, and I'm not the only one who isn't watching.  Look at the ratings.  And yes, I can learn some things on The Chew and enjoy watching The Real.  There's nothing to like about Y&R now.  So peace my sweets.  Fan since I was 6 in 1976.  One sister no longer watches either and one asked me the other day what was going on, because she isn't watching regularly either.  Instead of bashing the haters, maybe people should notice that people are tuning out.  But they won't.  Best of luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, Fevuh said:

Please. And I have sense and have met Tom.  And Martha Byrne.  When the ratings are in the basement, writers will be canned.  And you're right - and I'm not the only one....when I think about it - why bother watching?  There isn't anything here.  A few months ago you said something like...WHY watch if you don't like it?!  You're right.  I won't from now on, and I'm not the only one who isn't watching.  Look at the ratings.  And yes, I can learn some things on The Chew and enjoy watching The Real.  There's nothing to like about Y&R now.  So peace my sweets.  Fan since I was 6 in 1976.  One sister no longer watches either and one asked me the other day what was going on, because she isn't watching regularly either.  Instead of bashing the haters, maybe people should notice that people are tuning out.  But they won't.  Best of luck. 

 

So you met Tom? And Martha Byrne? How random LOL

 

Yes, I know writers are canned when ratings fall. Y&R's ratings are NOT "in the basement" no matter how often you say the sky is falling. It's still the #1 show BY FAR.

 

You won't watch from now on? Then at least we won't have to read negative rants from someone who doesn't even watch the show. Your sister doesn't watch regularly either. Huh. That makes two of you.

 

If you read this board regularly, you should realize WE KNOW ratings have dropped. You don't have any special insight because you know that. 

 

A lot of us complain about 1 or 100 things on Y&R. We're still watching, however, and just about all of us will be watching next week. You see, there's plenty that we still like.

 

Please enjoy The Chew and learning how to improve your lemon tarts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 2

      Law & Order (the original) making a come back for 21st season

    2. 0

      I would LOVE To See This

    3. 1,499

      Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

    4. 1,499

      Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

    5. 1,499

      Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy