Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I am!  Jean Passanante proved a long time ago she didn't care about history, character motivation, or even basic good taste.  (Brooke English falls for the drunk driver who killed her daughter?  Are you serious?) All that mattered to her was plot and how to manipulate it in order to get tongues wagging, keep demos up and make her bosses happy.  Have a wonderful life, Ms. Passanante, but stay the hell away from writing.

• Members

That isn't my signature line, and anyone with any sense knows that Tom Casiello understands what goes on with writing and producing a soap. You can dismiss that with your petty WWE snark, but I'll take his word before I agree with your "I stopped watching months ago, but the following 20 plotlines suck."

I think this is a great guess at what happened behind the scenes. No doubt Mal has an ego. He wanted it his way -- and now he's got it. 

Sally had a co-executive producer tag, but clearly Mal had more sway. Sally's plots and stories were altered, changed direction, scuttled....you name it.  Now we know Mal wanted to be Head Writer and to Exec. Produce the entire show.

I tend to agree with KMan101's comment before his edit -- that Sally and Kay fled.

i think they saw the writing on the wall, and the constant push/pull with Mal became tiring and stressful. Sally was writing stories in ways she didn't want to write them. Why stick around for that?

I am not sure at all that this is going to work. I think Mal Young is taking on too much.

• Members

Please. And I have sense and have met Tom.  And Martha Byrne.  When the ratings are in the basement, writers will be canned.  And you're right - and I'm not the only one....when I think about it - why bother watching?  There isn't anything here.  A few months ago you said something like...WHY watch if you don't like it?!  You're right.  I won't from now on, and I'm not the only one who isn't watching.  Look at the ratings.  And yes, I can learn some things on The Chew and enjoy watching The Real.  There's nothing to like about Y&R now.  So peace my sweets.  Fan since I was 6 in 1976.  One sister no longer watches either and one asked me the other day what was going on, because she isn't watching regularly either.  Instead of bashing the haters, maybe people should notice that people are tuning out.  But they won't.  Best of luck. 

• Members

So you met Tom? And Martha Byrne? How random LOL

Yes, I know writers are canned when ratings fall. Y&R's ratings are NOT "in the basement" no matter how often you say the sky is falling. It's still the #1 show BY FAR.

You won't watch from now on? Then at least we won't have to read negative rants from someone who doesn't even watch the show. Your sister doesn't watch regularly either. Huh. That makes two of you.

If you read this board regularly, you should realize WE KNOW ratings have dropped. You don't have any special insight because you know that. 

A lot of us complain about 1 or 100 things on Y&R. We're still watching, however, and just about all of us will be watching next week. You see, there's plenty that we still like.

Please enjoy The Chew and learning how to improve your lemon tarts.

Archived