YR: SONY/CBS

DAYS: SONY/NBC/CORDAY

GH: ABC/DISNEY/VARNI

Maybe B&B may be the only one with less interference who knows

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. Sally is a mediocre writer who gives decent characterization but terribly boring storylines that drive away viewers. It was pretty obvious she had free reign up until right before the LA remote episodes and everything she came up with was lackluster. 

The Fenmore's story that went nowhere, the Hilary/Devon/Mariah "triangle" (if you can call it that) which was kicked off by of all things Hilary tripping Mariah, the boring Newman family dinner parties where Victor did nothing but play happy grandaddy, Chick, Villy, & Lane stinking up the show 24/7, Gloria returning and hijacking stories, the terrible Ravi and Ashley pairing that once again, has gone nowhere, Phyllis doing nothing but give 80s teen movie makeovers, Scott and his 50 different personalities and careers.

All of it was terrible and ratings reflected it. I don't care how long she worked for Bill Bell, she didn't deliver and deserved the pink slip. You guys can sit here and blame executive meddling but sometimes a spade is just a spade.

• Members

John, I agree with you. I think they were sabotaged by Mal, too. He used his EP position to turn some of their stories-- which made many here blame them for not knowing what they were doing. Who got the blame? Sally.

if anything, the past year tells us that having co-executive producers doesn't work.

it felt like YR to me, too.

CL should keep his own mouth shut. Every two out of three scenes he's in end up being a campfest. His last few Emmy noms have been a complete joke. 

You want to support Greg Rikaart? Fine. Say he is a good actor and you think the show is better with him. There's ZERO reason to mention that other actors were worse and should have been cut before GR. 

• Members

Related image

I would agree with some of this. Where Sally did well imo was to restore a measure of recognizeability to the show -- it looked and sounded like Y&R, not some generic ABC knock-off peopled with JFP and Pratt's fave daytimers. The relationships between family members felt rooted and authentic. I know many people hated the Nikki piano/MS story, but I felt it this was a Nikki I knew and cared about.

The problem imo is Sally's imagination. It is not on fire, overflowing with lots of interesting SLs. And as a result, it puts the breakdown writers in a difficult position. How can you pace and untangle and evolve the plotline if what is there is threadbare? It contrasts with the Cane SL which was actually somewhat meaty, and every episode that SL was featured, we got a new twist and angle on where it was going.

I'm sorry the ratings dipped lower than JJFP/Pratt, though, which imo was simply unwatchable.

CLB has always ingratiated himself with the PTB very handily, and I'm assuming it was an easy kiss-up to Mal Young. 

I think it was unprofessional of him to mention anything in order to prop up this unneeded and unwanted character/actor. And also because his acting is nothing to write home about. But I can't say he's not wrong lol. It's ironic given how much he loves being the popular guy on set. I wonder if he meant AH, DG or one of the newbies?

Image result for christian leblanc amelia heinle daniel goddard

• Members

Hehe. I hope so.

And people need to understand ratings are never going to be what they once were. I think they'd go down with anyone writing at this point. MY has his work cut out for him. The audience just isn't there like it used to be.

Archived