"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow. I'm surprised and pleased by ABC's admirable resolve in the face of ratings (which, despite falling, were still pretty solid).

I hadn't had much time to reflect this morning on what Roseanne did beyond utter disgust. I got busy and turned away from the news, but all I had time to think was "how can I possibly continue to support this?" And obviously I wasn't the only one. It's clear most of the cast and crew were far more furious.

I feel awful for Sara Gilbert especially, for whom the revival was a personal and professional triumph. She and everyone else worked so hard and they took it from every side in the media while trying to manage Roseanne. I haven't finished the season (and I do intend to), but I was mostly pleased with what I saw. I thought there was a lot of good there. But now far more than ever before, Roseanne is her own worst enemy. I admit I thought she was getting better; I was wrong. She's probably alienated a lot of this cast - people who stuck by her for years through impossible behavior - for a good long time. I hope that gives her some pause. I'd like to think so. But she bought and paid for this.

It's a shame, but it was absolutely necessary.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Valerie Harper and The Hogans analogy is not an accurate one, IMO.  

While Valerie Harper may have had a reputation for being difficult, she was never known for having racist tirades.  Her firing had to do with a salary dispute, not for spewing conspiracy theories and racist epithets.

Not comparable.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It has nothing to do with what one said and the other didn't….it's that they were both fired….although only Valerie…..and the show moved on without her. I personally think the show could go on without Roseanne but with Roseanne having part ownership of the show as someone stated above then the show is done. 

• Members

The structural change is similar, yeah, but that's where it ends. Miller-Boyett simply sniped Valerie to turn her show into proto-Full House.

I don't know that any of them would do the show without her, even now. For one, Roseanne owns it and I can't see her giving it up. For another I imagine they're all probably just utterly done with this.

• Members

This is definitely an unfortunate situation. I feel bad for all of the cast and crew who lost their jobs over Roseanne's awful comments. It's a shame. I thought that the Reboot was really good and I will miss it. 

• Members

I think most of us who watched will. For me, there was a lot to enjoy. But there's not much to be done about it. I can't see the cast wanting to go back to that situation in any way right now, and I doubt Roseanne would allow it (I'm assuming she has a stake in the entire IP).

ETA: LOL - guess I'll catch the last few eps on Dailymotion! Prospect Park's backups lasted longer.

In amusing news, the alt right is now attempting to target Bill Maher on Twitter for firing as retaliation. My response, in one tweet (not mine):

Oh, OK, a few more:

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes, they won for the timeslot but the number of viewers had fallen 50 percent

This is what the woman who canceled the show today had to say a while back: https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/abc-roseanne-concentrate-family-politics-55180493

Look no farther than YouTube.

Edited by marceline