"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I have to admit I've watched a few clips, and a part of me wanted to watch the show again. I'm not going to judge anyone who still is - no one needs my judgment, anyway - but after this I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I did.

If I were ABC I would take the risk of firing her (if they can legally) and moving on without her. 

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Frankly, I would take the risk, too.  Just shut down the revival, eat the costs, and move on.  Otherwise, how is it going to look to have someone on your network who compared an AA woman to an ape?  Viewers just might try to boycott.

• Members

No doubt, her supporters/defenders will argue that she has apologized and that the rest of us should just "move on."

Unfortunately, it seems as if no one believes anymore in the concept that "saying you're sorry doesn't always make everything all better" and that there have to be consequences (no matter how severe) for one's words and actions.

• Members

I'm not even sure I believe her apology. After all, this isn't the first time she has said something like this. An apology ceases to work eventually if you keep repeating the same "mistakes".

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.

• Members

Then, in a later episode, the Connor family home burns down, and with it goes all of Roseanne's pictures, lol.

Ironically, when the original series was in its' first or second season, and ABC was at their proverbial wits' end with her, they floated a similar idea (killing off Roseanne Connor) to John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf, with the idea of retooling the show around Dan, who would have become a single parent, struggling to raise the kids on his own, with help from Jackie.  Goodman and Metcalf, however, stood by Roseanne, so the network backed off.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/THEsaragilbert/status/1001513801546530816

People are starting to go in on the rest of the cast, saying that their silence equates with complicity.

Boom.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/29/roseanne-cancelled-season-11-racist-tweet-controversy-abc/

Edited by Khan

• Members

It is. No one is that dispensable. Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are as if not more talented. They can pull a Valerie Harper(who by the way was treated way worse that this hateful bigot). Kill Roseanne off as suggested and call it "Rosanne's family.