"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was bummed that Roseanne was only a half-hour... and even more bummed that the Middle wasn't on last night after it... and it was some new show starring the dude from Scrubs.  Upside is that the Middle kept more of Roseanne's lead in when it follows it.

Any theory on why the other three sitcoms following Roseanne barely rate about 5 million viewers?

With that said, I would have held off Bev coming back till next week so that more time could be devoted to David (since he's only on for one episode this season).  Also, I'm glad the show was smart to know that David/Darlene shouldn't have ever been end game.

• Members

Sounds like a lot going on in next week's episode too. Bev and her boyfriend Lou (the fabulous Christopher Lloyd!!), Crystal's back (based on footage in promos released, it looks like Darlene gets a job where Crystal works), Nancy's back, Chuck's back ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Finally catching up after a long April - the Becky episode is probably one of the show's best since Season 7 or so. They really dug into Lecy's Becky and didn't just demean the character as was generally done with the recast. She also wasn't the butt of a joke like the first couple eps. And Lecy did an excellent job - her dryer, older delivery these days really works.

They were also smart to let Darlene bond with her, and make Roseanne stand down and admit she was wrong and then pull out all the stops to do something nice for Becky. That's something that wouldn't have happened much in Seasons 7 or 8. The scene at the end with the parents joining the girls at the restaurant with Becky and Darlene drunk was very sweet. There's a continued focus on age and time, the constant struggles as the daughters age out of being near-millennials, on Roseanne trying to make ends meet with Uber and still having trouble with her knee ("I need to sit") which are both ongoing plot notes. Overall, this is what I hoped a revival could be once the furor calmed down. I hope it continues.

I did laugh out loud at "her text says she's 'drunk as duck.'" I'm surprised that got past Standards and Practices.

As for the last one, this is good so far -

Bev: Hello, Jackie. You're looking tired.

Jackie (re: her black wardrobe): Nice outfit. I see you're trying it without the sickle.

Estelle Parsons has not missed a trick. I know she was still directing major theater (with Al Pacino, Jessica Chastain, etc.) as recently as a decade ago, I don't know if she still is.

David - "Please, I'm vegan now, I have no upper arm strength!"

Edited by Vee

• Members

The David episode was as good as it could be given time constraints - I didn't believe when I heard he'd be a deadbeat, but his exile to Habitat for Humanity, etc. was a bit more complex than that and I felt it worked overall. It also was clearly a table setter episode for him to be around more often in future, which Galecki has said he intends to do with David moving back to Lanford. The stuff with him and Darlene, Becky and Darlene, etc. all worked. The Bev stuff is good (and in character). And the end scene with just David and Roseanne - who was at the most emotional we've seen her in years, and it was clearly not all acting with them as Roseanne Barr the actress has been taking a lot of time to get back on track performance-wise - was really affecting.

I think Becky's arc - like Darlene's, and I suspect Roseanne's with her pain issues - is ongoing. They picked the Becky thread up from the last episode as she referenced it directly in her talk with Darlene about David.

Edited by Vee

• Members

REALLY enjoyed tonight's episode.

Jackie and Bev was definitely the highlight. But the script was great. I laughed a lot. Estelle Parsons is just a delight and so on point.

I enjoyed seeing Crystal and Nancy again.

The Mark/Dan b story was good as well.

It felt old school and I really enjoyed it.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yes, this was a good episode.  I bet Uber drivers around the country were happy that Roseanne demanded a tip.

Please register in order to view this content

I liked Dan's story with Mark too and of course Dan was right about customer service.

Bev and Jackie were funny, but the underlying issue was pretty sad.  We have a crisis with elder care and it's only going to get worse as more baby boomers age.

• Members

LOL. Roseanne as an UBER driver just has so much damn potential.

I also love how either this week or the previous episode Bev got a dig in about Jackie's life coach career. LMAO.

I really enjoyed the episode. Just felt old school to me with most of the cast being used here and there. It was good.

The Bev/Jackie stuff was definitely sad when you put it into context/perspective. I like how Estelle isn't playing Bev totally batty, her delivery is a bit better than she was giving us in the last few seasons of Roseanne where Bev and Jackie became cartoon characters.

Christopher Lloyd was hilarious as always. I hope we see him pop up again next season. He was perfect.

I liked the Dan/Mark side plot as well. Just lots of good character moments which were needed.

I loved how it was the gals playing cards. Was really nice to see Crystal and Nancy back. Wish they had more but it was nice. With them just popping up it just felt ... right.

Pretty much agreed with you as always @Juliajms

Edited by KMan101