"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Old people do this though. When I was in my 20s my grandmother asked me why I had to move so far away. “Um grandmother, you moved across the ocean from your parents when you were my age,” I wanted to say. 

I remembered the spanking episode, and that’s what I took it as. Old people remembering things inaccurately/exaggerating to make a point.

people are taking this revival too seriously. Almost all of the media takes on it from both sides have been obnoxious. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Currently, I'm not looking at the "politics" of it; I'm looking at the characterization. But, as others have pointed out, people can change over the years in real life, and therefore fictional characters can change over time as well. 

Most people probably aren't dissecting the nuances of the characters, but being here on SON where we dissect our soap characters, I'm dissecting the "Roseanne" characters, as I'm one you could consider a die-hard fan of the series. 

• Members

The Bev characterization was all wrong. That annoyed me. She’s supposed to be a total prude. I don’t know why I can accept Roseanne’s character as an evolution of 90s Roseanne, and not Bev, but it was just off to me.

The David plot was just too sloppy. This needed to be a two parter and they needed more dramatic moments and a better reason for David not being there.

i would have given him a drug or alcohol addiction. And I wouldn’t have had Darlene change her mind so quickly. This could/should have been a real tearjerker. But it was like foreplay that never led anywhere.

My least fave episode so far because it could have been so much better. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

It's not?  Well, I can't say I'm disappointed to hear that, because I never bought that twist in the first place.  If someone needed to be gay in that family, I thought, then it needed to be Jackie, or Darlene.

• Members

Exactly. Bev is a closet freak. That's the whole point, the whole joke. A prude stuck up woman is a nasty freak. People take sitcoms too seriously sometimes, lol

Estelle Parsons looked fantastic. She's in next week's episode too (with a boyfriend) and it looks like we'll finally see Crystal and Nancy.

Has the show forgotten about DJ? At least his daughter was on.

I think Johnny was a tad rusty as David, at times, and I hated he looked like a slob, but he was overall pretty much in character, but I can't help but also see his Big Bang character. I bought it overall. I liked it enough I guess. I'm guessing David will be in town we just don't see him unless Johnny can film. I think he was only in this episode.

I just feel like there's not enough time to really deal with anything and there's a lot of characters to service.

I liked the episode. I can't say I overly loved it. I don't know why though. I thought Jackie and Bev was on point.

So is Becky's journey over? She's a drunk like Jackie was I suppose ...

Edited by KMan101