"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm so heartbroken. I really think this would have hit its stride next season. But ABC pretty much had no choice. There was no way the show could go on.

I'm torn between wishing it had never come back at all so its legacy wouldn't be tarnished like this and feeling thankful that we at least got this short revival -- bittersweet as it was. 

I think Roseanne is an incredibly complex and flawed person but I will always have respect for her as an artist. I'm sure she probably did much worse than this in the 90s, and we just don't know about it. I'm wondering if the internet was such a good idea after all. 

• Members

I think the original Roseanne is one of the best situation comedies in TV history. I think the Roseanne of that era was a talented, complicated, very difficult person. And I think aspects of that person still do exist in Roseanne today, but not enough to countenance what the rest of her - like so many other men and women of a certain age or background like her - have inexplicably become. Too much is said and done to let the rest go anymore. What they say and do eclipses who they used to be.

In a strange way, this entire revival was a microcosm of what some of us have gone through as a country in the last year-plus - we've struggled to reconcile how former friends, neighbors, family have turned to what they have, just as Sara Gilbert, the cast and a predominantly liberal-progressive writing staff have done with a person they've known and loved most of their lives. We tried to find an imperfect place we could come together like we used to. And then, finally, something so unspeakable happens that we can't let it be anymore. It's awful and it's sad and it's ugly but we tear the page out and walk away.

Edited by Vee